Windows Phone 7 introduces app version issues in Mango update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I think this may be a new record for factual errors. Each paragraph seems to be based on something that's just wrong. Even the facts about Apple are worryingly wrong, to such an extent that part way through I thought it was meant to be a spoof ded article.

1. Windows phone developers are just providing a 7.5 update to the app. Yes they release seperate versions for 7 and 7.5 and from October they will be able to update both separately. I don't get why you would want to bundle both versions together. If you have a update to 7.5 why release another 7.0 update that's the same as the last.

2. Users will not be choosing a version, they will just get the one that matchs there phone.

3. All IOS apps do not support every version of IOS

4. OSX apps do not only exist in there app package. They spread out through shared folders just like windows. Unlike windows you don't get uninstallers, you have to manually find the files.

In a bundle, both apps don't have to be listed in the store, and people don't have to figure out which one they need. Just get the app, and it installs the correct code for your device. That's a much more consumer friendly way to do it.

Unless MS hides the apps your phone can't use as Google does in the Android Marketplace, then you will need to choose. You would be surprised at how few people understand this.

Most iOS apps support all versions from 3 on, as he said. Developers sometimes need to do an update to support the latest iOS features. But I've found, almost without exception, that apps that are not upgraded will work. And newer ones rarely don't work on older iOS versions.

Only SOME OS X programs need to get into the OS itself. many don't.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

How is this different from Engadget and Gizmodo? Oh wait, they're actually wrong most of the time, and pile on snarky to absurd levels. DED is deadly spot on 95% of the time. What gets complained about as "bias" is almost always just a correct assessment in the face of windbags blowing hype for Microsoft.

This isn't OSNews or ZDNet writing up insanity biased against Apple, every last bit of which has been wrong. This is actually correct writing. DED has a stellar track record of getting things right.

The AI trolls who complain about his stuff immediately change the subject once it becomes obviously he was correct front the start. That's easy to do when you have a site like AI allowing people to use phony names to leave comments. And its why the web is gravitating toward real names in Facebook and Google+ and most reputable sites' comments.

Too bad AI continues to harbor a gaggle of anonymous trolls posting stupidity that sidetracks all the smart comments.

And, of course, you have some documented presentable stats to support DED's 95% spot on-ism...?
  • Reply 23 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

There are a lot of folk like me out there..... Still oblivious to how a smartphone should function....

You need an iPhone. You are exactly the type of person who would love the iPhone. You will love it and tell everyone how great it is.

It is easy to use. Very easy. Get one!
  • Reply 24 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Your not actually serious are you. When has DED actually been right? Seriously in the last few weeks he's actually written contradicting articles about Microsoft. They can't both be right.

This articles is basically based on him reading that devs will be able to make updates to 7.0 from October whereas originally once you submitted for 7.5 you wouldn't be able to. In Microsoft comment on this they said apps are typically updated once every 3 months so the gap won't affect many people. Somehow DED has taken this to mean users update the os in 3 months and conducted a whole load of shit about users having to choose what version they want.

He's right about most of what he says. But sometimes, his opinions get in the way of his writing.

What MS has said is that there will be both 7 and 7.5 versions out. Many people never update their phone OS, and as we've found with WP7, cell companies and manufacturers don't have to push an update out if they don't want to, even though, at first MS said they would. They then said that they could skip one, and one only. That never made any sense. But then, under questioning, they admitted they had no way to enforce the sending out of OS updates.

So there must be two versions. I wonder what will happen next year when WP 8 comes out?
  • Reply 25 of 100
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The difference is that Apple Insider is an APPLE site. Engadget and Gizmodo cover EVERYTHING. And the only time Microsoft is mentioned on AI is to say something negative.

I don't see Mac Rumors posting Microsoft articles as click bait, and their traffic/forum numbers eclipse AI from what I can tell.

True. This site is, like, a "Woman's Day" quality fan biased rumour site.

But that is one of the things that makes it interesting, in some weird way
  • Reply 26 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You must not have been using PC's very long.

I remember all of those transitions personally, and they were all pretty bad overall. Also, I don't know where you are getting your info about Vista but it seems wrong to me. I quit using Windows before Vista came out, but from what I heard from others, the transition wasn't actually that bad at all.

It was just Vista that was bad.

It wasn't the transition that was bad. It was the fact that seriously heavy hardware was needed, and many people who had bought a new computer three months before Vista came out found that their machine couldn't install it.

So while the transition from the OS itself wasn't bad, if your machine could handle it, the hardware problems meant that most people needed a new computer to use it. Which was the idea in the first place. Computer manufacturers depend upon MS's upgrades to sell more computers. There is an unwritten agreement that the OS upgrade will require more potent hardware. Because of the big outcry over Vista, Win 7's requirements were relaxed.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Once a 7.5 version app is published in the App Hub market, developers won't be able to fix bugs or add features to their existing 7.0 version. However, existing phone users also won't be able to run the new 7.5 version, as each major build of Windows Phone is tied to a matching app version.

OMG that's too funny. I sometimes think that they sit around in Redmond trying to think of stupid things to do.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    Go to www.roughlydrafted.com and see a lot of his predictions and see for yourself that most of them were right.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

And, of course, you have some documented presentable stats to support DED's 95% spot on-ism...?

• Reply 29 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In a bundle, both apps don't have to be listed in the store, and people don't have to figure out which one they need. Just get the app, and it installs the correct code for your device. That's a much more consumer friendly way to do it.

Unless MS hides the apps your phone can't use as Google does in the Android Marketplace, then you will need to choose. You would be surprised at how few people understand this.

Most iOS apps support all versions from 3 on, as he said. Developers sometimes need to do an update to support the latest iOS features. But I've found, almost without exception, that apps that are not upgraded will work. And newer ones rarely don't work on older iOS versions.

Most.....

SOME.......

That guy nailed you really hard. You have no response because he is right. But like always MOST apple users have no idea how technology really works, they just know about what their old OS can do.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Since this article is part history lesson, let me just add that back in the day, Microsoft sold PocketPC branded PDAs that ran Windows CE, and this OS was available on at least 3 major CPU platforms, and users had to know which one their PDA used. Does my PDA use the Hitachi SH-3, or the MIPS, or some variant of the ARM CPU? Windows CE didn't have universal binaries or emulation either, so developers had to support all three, and more importantly, users had to know which one they were installing. And Microsoft was OK with dumping this kind of crummy experience on Windows CE users. That's why I LMAO when I hear that Microsoft has a group devoted to "user experience." Call me cynical, but since when did Microsoft care about user experience?
  • Reply 31 of 100
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You must not have been using PC's very long.

I remember all of those transitions personally, and they were all pretty bad overall. Also, I don't know where you are getting your info about Vista but it seems wrong to me. I quit using Windows before Vista came out, but from what I heard from others, the transition wasn't actually that bad at all.

It was just Vista that was bad.

I have been using PC's since 1983 and Apple II & Commodore PET before that. I personally experienced nearly every transition from DOS 2.0 to Windows 7 (I started with Windows at version 2.0). Windows Vista was the first version of a Microsoft OS that I uninstalled and took back to the store. Windows 7 seemed to fix most of Vista's problems though I have several things I would still like to change if I could.

My amazing iPhone has, for the first time, made me considering switching to Mac some day. It's mainly out of habit that I haven't.
  • Reply 32 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You need an iPhone. You are exactly the type of person who would love the iPhone. You will love it and tell everyone how great it is.

It is easy to use. Very easy. Get one!

Oops I should have said, like WAS... as soon as I played with my Kid's iPods ... I realized there was another way... As soon as Verizon made the iPhone available, I sold my Omnia on eBay and bought the CDMA iPhone.

I haven't looked back since..... Now I have an iPad, a MacBook Pro, and my wife has a white iPhone...

And why?

Not because it is cool... Because it WORKS.

I still am getting the hang of OSX, but I'll get there.
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Since this article is part history lesson, let me just add that back in the day, Microsoft sold PocketPC branded PDAs that ran Windows CE, and this OS was available on at least 3 major CPU platforms, and users had to know which one their PDA used. Does my PDA use the Hitachi SH-3, or the MIPS, or some variant of the ARM CPU? Windows CE didn't have universal binaries or emulation either, so developers had to support all three, and more importantly, users had to know which one they were installing. And Microsoft was OK with dumping this kind of crummy experience on Windows CE users. That's why I LMAO when I hear that Microsoft has a group devoted to "user experience." Call me cynical, but since when did Microsoft care about user experience?

Since 2007.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Most.....

SOME.......

That guy nailed you really hard. You have no response because he is right. But like always MOST apple users have no idea how technology really works, they just know about what their old OS can do.

What do you mean me? I didn't write the article, and he's wrong about most of his complaints.

I see you are a fanboy of your own ilk, making up nonsense to make yourself feel better. I'm willing to bet that I not only know vastly more about iOs and OS X than you do, but Windows as well. Please, most Windows users are clueless. Your post proves it.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I have been using PC's since 1983 and Apple II & Commodore PET before that. I personally experienced nearly every transition from DOS 2.0 to Windows 7 (I started with Windows at version 2.0). Windows Vista was the first version of a Microsoft OS that I uninstalled and took back to the store. Windows 7 seemed to fix most of Vista's problems though I have several things I would still like to change if I could.

My amazing iPhone has, for the first time, made me considering switching to Mac some day. It's mainly out of habit that I haven't.

Really? Well, you apparently weren't around to remember the widely reviled Windows ME.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Going by the blog DEDs got this news from.

- 7.5 apps will only be availiable to mango users

- If it is an update to an existing app then only 1 entry appears in the app store but you get the version your phone supports (they recomend you specify what features are 7.5 only in the description)

- Update notifications only go to 7.5 users if there's only an update to 7.5

- All version 7 apps will work on 7.5

So by the sounds of things the only potential difference to the user is that they won't be able to see apps that won't work on their phone, which isn't the case with IOS.

All the crap about universal binaries is completely irrelevant as the only way to get an app is through the app store which handles any compatibility issues for your phone.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    How in the world does this company manage to suck so bad? The good news is that they are now irrelevant in the mobile space so we can all escape from their illegal monopolistic behavior, and their bloated, buggy expensive products as we have far better alternatives out there.
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I thought this was Apple Insider, not Microsoft Insider

The only time AI even gives Microsoft a full-on article is when they are looking to kick dirt in their eyes. Pretty pathetic IMHO. Stick to what you do best, great Apple news.

Excuse me, but what Apple's competitors are doing is in fact news, especially when those competitors main objective it to take business away, or steal its technology. Apple investors are very interested in what is going on in the marketplace. What planet are you living on?
  • Reply 39 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Its simple common sense for those that follow DED. Do you have stats that he isn't?
  • Reply 40 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Nice response. Hope you can break your old habit. You will be so much happier.