First Hong Kong Apple Store draws massive crowd on opening day

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 68
    Nice!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    I'm here right now. It's pretty packed. It's really unusual to have so much open space in retail in Hong Kong. Pretty impressive. My estimate would be about 3000 people inside the store right now. Maybe 200 blue-shirted staff inside (I'm not exaggerating) plus maybe 50 security staff managing the line outside and a few inside. Fastest Wifi I've ever experienced.



  • Reply 22 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    There were thousands in the store. More than 2000, at least. Someone isn't very good at estimating crowds.



    The YouTube video claimed that 3000 shirts were given away, so at least that many people passed through the entryway before you if you didn't end up getting a shirt. Too bad they didn't have any on sale. At $20 a pop why not Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post


    The YouTube video claimed that 3000 shirts were given away, so at least that many people passed through the entryway before you if you didn't end up getting a shirt. Too bad they didn't have any on sale. At $20 a pop why not Apple?



    Yeah, unfortunately, I had to work in the morning, so I missed my chance. A shirt would have been nice.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You do understand that hedge fund and institutional fund managers when they speak publicly do not do so for your benefit. They are placing bait in the water, hoping to pull you out and turn you into sushi.



    In the basic formula, they have a large position. They then encourage others to buy by making positive statements, and adding to their position in small increments. Others see the stock moving up, and jump in, thereby driving the price up further. When the price is going up, they dump their position, which in turn drives the price down. This creates panic selling by others. Then these folks buy back in again to start the process over again. The opposite works as well. Scare investors either because you are shorting the stock, or you want to get in at a good price.



    You might call them greedy, despicable, or a whole bunch of other stuff, but I am not sure idiots would be on that list. As Warren Buffet says, assuming a company is fundamentally sound like Apple, you buy when people are selling, and sell when they buying.







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post


    At least a few months ago, the hedge fund and institutional fund managers were voicing their doubts over Apple's growth potential. I often wonder how these idiots get their jobs if they can't see Apple's obvious growth potential.



  • Reply 25 of 68
    I know this is strange, but I am usually thinking about the structure when it is being stressed like this, kinda like a new app first day out when everyone is stressing the servers. Like the first outing at a packed baseball stadium, you assume the engineering is correct, but truth is that you don't know for sure until you pack the house.



    You know that there is a engineer somewhere that is now sleeping like a baby.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    I'm here right now. It's pretty packed. It's really unusual to have so much open space in retail in Hong Kong. Pretty impressive. My estimate would be about 3000 people inside the store right now. Maybe 200 blue-shirted staff inside (I'm not exaggerating) plus maybe 50 security staff managing the line outside and a few inside. Fastest Wifi I've ever experienced.



    Kasper,



    With so many new Apple Store openings around the world and a very diverse group of long term posters I think AI could benefit from very exclusive pics and information on these launches by appointing forum posters to attend, take high-qaulity pictures, and note specific data points that you have asked them to detail.



    Solipsism
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:



    The last time I saw this many excited Apple people at once was during a RMUG meeting, when a guy named Brian, who had a Fat Mac with a 20MB MacBottom, handed out copies of Mac PlayMate.









    Sigh. Fond memories of learning what click and drag could really mean...
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post











    Kids today... This was the old skool stuff that fired our imagination. It was our version of the 50's pin up girls.



    My most memorable "bitmap erotica" though is the 256-colour era, well illustrated by this one from the classic game Star Control...



  • Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post


    The YouTube video claimed that 3000 shirts were given away, so at least that many people passed through the entryway before you if you didn't end up getting a shirt. Too bad they didn't have any on sale. At $20 a pop why not Apple?



    Because they want the shirt to be something "money can't buy"...
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post


    Everyone looks so happy.





    You won't see any Samsung customer this happy





    I find it odd that buying products with a particular brand name makes people happy.



    Then again, I'm neither a Pepper, nor a member of the Pepsi Generation, so maybe I'm just missing out. But maybe I'll run down to Hot Topic and buy a Billibong T-shirt, some Nike sneakers and some Oakley sunglsses. Yeah. Then I'll be happy. And I'll finally belong to something bigger than just myself.
  • Reply 31 of 68
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    I find it odd that buying products with a particular brand name makes people happy.



    You're missing the point. It's products with a particular history of usability and customer satisfaction that makes customers happy. If you consistently deliver this then you create a brand people respect and trust.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You're missing the point. It's products with a particular history of usability and customer satisfaction that makes customers happy. If you consistently deliver this then you create a brand people respect and trust.



    A million years ago, when I was in college, I was feeling depressed. I went to a local stereo store and bought a dbx compander for my sound system. I thought it would cheer me up. It was an excellent product; it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I still have it, and I have used it for various purposes over the decades.



    But buying a product did not cheer me up. I learned something from that experience. Buying stuff does not make me happy. Neither would waiting in line at a retail store.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    A million years ago, when I was in college, I was feeling depressed. I went to a local stereo store and bought a dbx compander for my sound system. I thought it would cheer me up. It was an excellent product; it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I still have it, and I have used it for various purposes over the decades.



    But buying a product did not cheer me up. I learned something from that experience. Buying stuff does not make me happy. Neither would waiting in line at a retail store.



    Happy with your purchase over other potential purchases of a similar item that is more difficult to use and with worse customer service, not make you happy with life. Can you really not see a difference? Did you really buy a consumer electronic to cheer you up and solve all your life's woes?
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post


    Here's a video of the launch events.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YPreNvSeg



    That's insane!
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Happy with your purchase over other potential purchases of a similar item that is more difficult to use and with worse customer service, not make you happy with life. Can you really not see a difference? Did you really buy a consumer electronic to cheer you up and solve all your life's woes?



    Actually, retail marketing is based on the idea of making people happier by buying X product.



    ... but, to the point, the people in the store are happy because they are part of an event... like cheering at a football game etc. Apple is their team and they are there to celebrate the team's expansion.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Actually, retail marketing is based on the idea of making people happier by buying X product.



    ... but, to the point, the people in the store are happy because they are part of an event... like cheering at a football game etc. Apple is their team and they are there to celebrate the team's expansion.



    Happier, not some ideal of pure and complete happiness. We're talking about a short or longterm modicum of happiness attributed to purchasing an item that can satisfy a small need or want, not a cure all for depression, which is what ConradJoe directly stated was his issue.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    ...which is what ConradJoe directly stated was his issue.



    That certainly is an issue. \
  • Reply 39 of 68
    kenckenc Posts: 186member
    I remember going to HK from Beijing on a train, took 36 hours to Guangzhou, and another 6 hours to HK. with my Mac SE, way back in 1988 to get a new release of the Chinese version of Mac OS 4.3. I still have those disks somewhere. I may have been the only person in line! Those were the days.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Happier, not some ideal of pure and complete happiness. We're talking about a short or longterm modicum of happiness attributed to purchasing an item that can satisfy a small need or want, not a cure all for depression, which is what ConradJoe directly stated was his issue.



    ... and now he/she comes here.



    We'll make you happy ConradJoe.
Sign In or Register to comment.