First Hong Kong Apple Store draws massive crowd on opening day

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Happy with your purchase over other potential purchases of a similar item that is more difficult to use and with worse customer service, not make you happy with life. Can you really not see a difference? Did you really buy a consumer electronic to cheer you up and solve all your life's woes?



    I was happy with the product. It is an excellent product.



    But purchasing products, IMO, does little or nothing WRT general happiness. At least not for me. I'm glad I learned that while I was still a kid.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    I was happy with the product. It is an excellent product.



    But purchasing products, IMO, does little or nothing WRT general happiness. At least not for me. I'm glad I learned that while I was still a kid.



    Yet here you are, in a Forum devoted to discussing such products..... (and one you are consistently negative on).



    Hypocritical.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Apple is their team and they are there to celebrate the team's expansion.



    That is something I don't understand either. They are a corporation, and not an entertainment venture. I can understand being a fan of a movie star or a singer. But I don't understand being a fan of a consumer electronics company.



    I have a Vox guitar amplifier. I think that it is cool that the early brit-pop bands like the Beatles used Vox amps. I also think that Rickenbacker guitars are cool, for the same reason. But I bought the amp because it was a good choice for what I wanted, and not because it made me part of a club.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Happier, not some ideal of pure and complete happiness. We're talking about a short or longterm modicum of happiness attributed to purchasing an item that can satisfy a small need or want, not a cure all for depression, which is what ConradJoe directly stated was his issue.



    Perhaps you misunderstood my comment about what happened "a million years ago".
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Yet here you are, in a Forum devoted to discussing such products..... (and one you are consistently negative on).



    Hypocritical.



    I will stipulate that I am a horrible person in every way imaginable.



    Now give it a rest, please.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    I was happy with the product. It is an excellent product.



    But purchasing products, IMO, does little or nothing WRT general happiness. At least not for me. I'm glad I learned that while I was still a kid.



    1) You stated you bought a consumer electronic in college to stave off depression. I don't tend to think of college students as kids.



    2) You're also reading way too much into the term happy. Again, being happy with a purchase does not mean you're finding a panacea for your depression.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    1) You stated you bought a consumer electronic in college to stave off depression.



    "A million years ago, when I was in college, I was feeling depressed. I went to a local stereo store and bought a dbx compander for my sound system. I thought it would cheer me up."
  • Reply 48 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    "A million years ago, when I was in college, I was feeling depressed. I went to a local stereo store and bought a dbx compander for my sound system. I thought it would cheer me up."



    Oh, I read your comment. Starting off with hyperbole doesn't mean you can imply that the rest of your comment was also in jest, especially considering the additional comments you've made on the topic.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,571member
    I hate those events. Horribly fake and nothing to do with Apple products or software.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Happier, not some ideal of pure and complete happiness. We're talking about a short or longterm modicum of happiness attributed to purchasing an item that can satisfy a small need or want, not a cure all for depression, which is what ConradJoe directly stated was his issue.





    : …pure and complete happiness?

    : Pot smoker, no doubt!



    I believe only stupid people are happy, they live in perpetual certainty, they bear NO doubt.

    Like people use to say, the devil is in the detail, a good lived life as well.





    Felicidade sim,

    Tristeza ñ tem fim.



    Sadness has no boundary nor end,

    Happiness do always end.



    My lousy translation from a Brazilian poem.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Oh, I read your comment. Starting off with hyperbole doesn't mean you can imply that the rest of your comment was also in jest, especially considering the additional comments you've made on the topic.



    No such implication was intended.



    But don't let that stop you!
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    That is something I don't understand either. They are a corporation, and not an entertainment venture. I can understand being a fan of a movie star or a singer. But I don't understand being a fan of a consumer electronics company.



    I have a Vox guitar amplifier. I think that it is cool that the early brit-pop bands like the Beatles used Vox amps. I also think that Rickenbacker guitars are cool, for the same reason. But I bought the amp because it was a good choice for what I wanted, and not because it made me part of a club.



    Seeing only Fenders back in the day I too thought it was cool when something different came on the stage with the Beatles. Vox and Rickenbacker... very strange... very desirable.



    I remember too that there were several people in our small city that also loved talking about guitars. It made them happy and, in their own way, they were a club. Guitars were a part of their passion for music and their enthusiasm was electric (pardon the pun) when they got together and passed their guitars around and discussed the different sounds they made. It may not have been specific to one company but there were also Gibson fanatics and there were Fender fanatics.



    There's a certain type of energy created when people connect with and enjoy certain products. Early VW vans, early Honda CRVs (as examples)... and, in Apple's case... all or most of its tech products. ... and because of this Mac User Groups were created. Clubs to share this enthusiasm and energy.



    You might not get it and, in a way, I find that sad (not that I feel sorry for you) that someone isn't able to participate in that type energy... but to each his own.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    You might not get it and, in a way, I find that sad (not that I feel sorry for you) that someone isn't able to participate in that type energy... but to each his own.



    Don't worry about me - there's plenty of stuff I enjoy. Everything from subatomic physics to the local underground music scene. Buying stuff, however, doesn't do much for me.



    Just last night I went to a couple of different shows. The first was in an industrial loft, in a building populated by artists and machine shops. 4 different bands played, the third being the one I wanted to see. They play "noise jazz", and I had missed their prior show, in a basement across the street. The headliner, who I had not heard of, was GREAT. I bought one of their CDs.



    After that, I went to another show in the basement of an apartment building. More great music. I saw my buddy Brendan there, who plays guitar with a neo-punk band I saw a few nights previously, playing in a defunct retail store surrounded by trucking companies.



    Earlier this week I want to a lecture at Harvard Medical School regarding recent advances in mind/machine interfaces.



    But going to a newly-opened retail store at the local mall is not something I enjoy. Indeed, it is not something I even understand. But I can live with that deficiency. To each his own.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,484member
    Has a single human being ever lined up to buy an Android?
  • Reply 55 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    Has a single human being ever lined up to buy an Android?



    Not like they line up to buy an Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Not like they line up to buy an Apple.



    Really?



    For a company that competes with two cartels, Windows vendors and Android vendors ( strangely the two cartels whole looks alike ) ? Apple deserves applauses.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    Has a single human being ever lined up to buy an Android?







    : Not humans, Droids.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Don't worry about me - there's plenty of stuff I enjoy. Everything from subatomic physics to the local underground music scene. Buying stuff, however, doesn't do much for me.



    Just last night I went to a couple of different shows. The first was in an industrial loft, in a building populated by artists and machine shops. 4 different bands played, the third being the one I wanted to see. They play "noise jazz", and I had missed their prior show, in a basement across the street. The headliner, who I had not heard of, was GREAT. I bought one of their CDs.



    After that, I went to another show in the basement of an apartment building. More great music. I saw my buddy Brendan there, who plays guitar with a neo-punk band I saw a few nights previously, playing in a defunct retail store surrounded by trucking companies.



    Earlier this week I want to a lecture at Harvard Medical School regarding recent advances in mind/machine interfaces.



    But going to a newly-opened retail store at the local mall is not something I enjoy. Indeed, it is not something I even understand. But I can live with that deficiency. To each his own.



    Do you, by any chance, drink Dos Equis beer?
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Do you, by any chance, drink Dos Equis beer?



    I don't always shop at malls, but when I do, I prefer the Apple Store.



    Keep buying, my friends!
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Don't worry about me - there's plenty of stuff I enjoy. Everything from subatomic physics to the local underground music scene. Buying stuff, however, doesn't do much for me.



    But going to a newly-opened retail store at the local mall is not something I enjoy. Indeed, it is not something I even understand. But I can live with that deficiency. To each his own.



    Oh... I get it now... you seem to be saying two different things. 1. Equates their happiness with buying things. and 2. Equates their happiness with going to a newly opened retail store.



    Two entirely different things.



    Buying things is a personal pleasure that can only benefit you and going to a newly opened store can be a source of sharing something with other people who have a common interest.... very similar to the activities that you describe as your type of enjoyment. Hey... some people get a kick out of going to stranger's funerals.



    ... and, as we've both said, to each his own.
Sign In or Register to comment.