Apple may hold iPhone 5 event in smaller venue on Cupertino campus

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 114
    This is fine. The media will drop everything they are doing anyway and cover the event. This makes it more likely to be streamed lived under this controlled environment.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post


    Apple introduced the 1st iPod there also.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0SVBCJqLs



    Note the audience not quite getting what Jobs is talking about. They are seeing the future in terms of Macs v. Windows-based PCs.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post


    Exactly, and with a smaller venue, there is more crowd control, since a smaller 4S iPhone update after 15 months deserves to get booed.



    Deserves to get booed? Care to explain that one?
  • Reply 22 of 114
    What if Apple has put in the capacity to run 4G. They would have their own auditorium all ready to display that.

    Of course that way they will open it up to the general public as soon as it is more readily available.

    That way they could clip the wings on all these 4G capable phones that are being introduced now.

    Apple could basically say, "We are capable now. But Verizon and ATT are not quite there yet".
  • Reply 23 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Exactly. The hardware is probably ready to ship, but the iOS5 is likely holding things up. It's clear to me that Apple wasn't sure about the exact date of the event until very, very recently. No sense in booking the Moscone Center a year in advance.



    I'm not so sure it's software. I think iOS 5.0 has been solid from the first beta as the developers likely worked on a 12 month coding cycle before the time shift. I think the most logical conclusion is a HW component, then an integrated service for the new device/iOS that would cause such delays.



    But that's only if we assume Apple wanted to launch the 5th generation iPhone this June, only a couple months months after the iPad launched. I've been saying since the iPad launched that it might behoove them to separate the new HW releases by 6 months and to line up the iPhone, Apple's most profitable leg, with the iPods, Apple's least profitable leg, since they share a base device in many aspects, including iOS UI.



    So the question I have isn't why the delay into Autumn, but why the delay into October from September?
  • Reply 24 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post


    What if Apple has put in the capacity to run 4G.



    They haven't.



    Quote:

    Apple could basically say, "We are capable now. But Verizon and ATT are not quite there yet".



    Which is why they won't. And the world is bigger than AT&T and Verizon, you know. There's no 4G anywhere out there, either.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post




    Deserves to get booed? Care to explain that one?



    You think he's going to bother?



    Notice the 'z' at the end of his name? See a pattern....?
  • Reply 26 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    They haven't.







    Which is why they won't. And the world is bigger than AT&T and Verizon, you know. There's no 4G anywhere out there, either.



    Well said. I wish folks would realize the whole 4G thing is being milked by marketing types and hardly exists in the wild. I think read there is real 4G in Sweden somewhere ... Of course several people I know assure me they have 4G because they have an iPhone 4 .
  • Reply 27 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Deserves to get booed? Care to explain that one?



    Was the "z" in "Unknownz" not self-explanatory enough?



    Edit: anantksundaram beat me too it
  • Reply 28 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Of course several people I know assure me they have 4G because they have an iPhone 4 .



    I'm surprised Samsung hasn't tried to use that.



    "Your honor, if anyone is falsely leading the public, it's Apple. Why, the name iPhone 4 outright implicitly states that it's capable of 4G telephony."



  • Reply 29 of 114
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,013member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Well said. I wish folks would realize the whole 4G thing is being milked by marketing types and hardly exists in the wild. I think read there is real 4G in Sweden somewhere ... Of course several people I know assure me they have 4G because they have an iPhone 4 .



    US 4G coverage list here:

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-200...g-4g-coverage/



    And you're right about 4G in Sweden (and Norway) in Europe. Good memory
  • Reply 30 of 114
    Oh no! You know what this means!



    Nothing at all.



    Also note that Apple has been making moves to make itself less predictable (than it already was!) and not having to book giant public spaces for product launches does a great deal to allow Apple to be more mysterious.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    US 4G coverage list here



    HSPA+ is as 4G as a pair of argyle socks. Can't believe they'd waste our time with that lie.
  • Reply 32 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post


    What if Apple has put in the capacity to run 4G. They would have their own auditorium all ready to display that.

    Of course that way they will open it up to the general public as soon as it is more readily available.

    That way they could clip the wings on all these 4G capable phones that are being introduced now.

    Apple could basically say, "We are capable now. But Verizon and ATT are not quite there yet".



    As Steve Jobs himself mentioned awhile back, 4G/LTE drains a battery much faster than 3G. There are many reports of exactly this with the present 4G Android units. I doubt Apple would ever release an iPhone with much reduced battery life and knowingly risk negative feedback.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    You think he's going to bother?



    Notice the 'z' at the end of his name? See a pattern....?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Was the "z" in "Unknownz" not self-explanatory enough?



    Edit: anantksundaram beat me too it



    My apologizes for expecting intelligent, well thoughout responses on an internet forum. I see where I went wrong.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I'm surprised Samsung hasn't tried to use that.



    "Your honor, if anyone is falsely leading the public, it's Apple. Why, the name iPhone 4 outright implicitly states that it's capable of 4G telephony."







    Shh… Don't give the asshats anymore ideas.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    US 4G coverage list here:

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-200...g-4g-coverage/



    And you're right about 4G in Sweden (and Norway) in Europe. Good memory



    Scandinavia yes, USA??? I thought we were discussing real 4G!
  • Reply 35 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Shh? Dont't give the asshats anymore ideas.



    If it weren't a crime to throw your own case, I'd represent them. I have a million of these terrible correlations that they're free to use.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post


    This is an easy question to answer. Oracle Openworld is from October 1-6 and is the largest trade show in San Francisco. Every venue (and hotel room) is booked solid and has been for months.



    Good note on the booking. At least now the San Francisco Giants are no longer in the playoffs so *they* wouldn't be packing the hotels even more.



    Tim Cook will also be saving a dash of money. They built up that pile of cash by *not spending it*. Too many people want rich people and companies to spend money like they do and be just as broke.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Scandinavia yes, USA??? I thought we were discussing real 4G!



    LTE '4G' as defined by the ITU-T is defined by 100Mb/s download rates, along with a plethora of other contingencies that people don't seem to bother with, but that doesn't seem to stop the anti-Apple crowd from claiming how prolific and rampant '4G' on carriers and handsets.



    The bottom line is that it doesn't matter because Apple doesn't have anything they cellular tech they advertise as '4G' so the anti-Apple crowd will use that against Apple at every turn in a futile attempt to make Apple look weak.



    When Apple puts '4G' as in the HSPA+ AT&T is using or the LTE Verizon is using in their iPhone the argument will surely be that the iPhone doesn't have the real '4G'? but we'll cross that troll bridge when we get there.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post


    Debbie Downer.



    Think I dated her once
  • Reply 39 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    LTE '4G' as defined by the ITU-T is defined by 100Mb/s download rates



    Thought 4G was 1Gbps…



    And something tells me Apple won't use the phrase "4G" at all. They'll just say what it has: HSPA+ or LTE. Let the telecoms wave their genitalia around about "4G".
  • Reply 40 of 114
    Plus: way easier to park in Cupertino than in downtown SF.



    Minus: way harder to get a cab.
Sign In or Register to comment.