Apple may hold iPhone 5 event in smaller venue on Cupertino campus

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Thought 4G was 1Gbps?



    And something tells me Apple won't use the phrase "4G" at all. They'll just say what it has: HSPA+ or LTE. Let the telecoms wave their genitalia around about "4G".



    I don't expect Apple to be promoting the longer acronyms.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post


    Also, CDMA still does not support true data/voice multitasking (you would need 2 iPhones to do that!)



    I wonder how many people would really care about that bit. Using voice and data simultaneously would require using a headset, which I've almost never seen anyone use, or speakerphone, which is really telling the other end that you hate them.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post


    This is an easy question to answer. Oracle Openworld is from October 1-6 and is the largest trade show in San Francisco. Every venue (and hotel room) is booked solid and has been for months.



    This strikes me as the most likely explanation. I doubt that it's because the announcement is of "lesser" caliber. Surveys show a real hunger for this new model, and besides most new models of existing products are mainly incremental improvements anyway. Let's face it, at this point they're not going to unveil the 'first smartphone'. Just new features and improvements, but that's enough for the Big Venue. They just couldn't get one.



    So for anyone who thought maybe Apple would be embarrassed because they could not fill a big hall, just watch: The media will fight for seats.
  • Reply 63 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    At this point, it seems we have our date.



    October 23: exactly ten years after the first iPod was released, Apple will discontinue the iPod classic.



    I'm not so sure they will pick that exact date as it's rather late, but I agree that they might announce something like the discontinuation of the iPod classic.



    I think it likely they might be introducing a whole new product or at least rebranding some of their stuff. Why else would they spend the entire ten year lifespan of the iPod not caring at all about owning sites and brand names related to the iPod product, but then turn around this very year and buy them all up?



    My best guess is that the classic dies, the nano and the mini are rebranded as something else (iPlayers?), and the iPod takes centre stage as a sort of mini "iPad-come-iPhone" thingie.



    That clarifies their main lineup into three simple products: iPod, iPhone, and iPad.



    They release the iPhone and the iPod in the fall, and the iPad is the summer device.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I wonder how many people would really care about that bit. Using voice and data simultaneously would require using a headset, which I've almost never seen anyone use, or speakerphone, which is really telling the other end that you hate them.



    I'd venture most ATT iPhone users would not be willing to give up that feature. I certainly wouldn't.
  • Reply 65 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    I'd venture most ATT iPhone users would not be willing to give up that feature. I certainly wouldn't.



    That doesn't address the crux of the issue, how many people actually use it, and how often? No one wants to give up a feature, but a feature not used didn't actually need to be there. Apart from myself, on rare occasion, I've never seen anyone use it. It just strikes me as more of a talking point than a routinely used feature.
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post


    Hmmm...small venue = small announcement. We will probably only see an iPhone 4S this year.



    Will it have been worth the wait? Why the delay from the usual springtime refresh? The delay was what got the rumormill going that there would be a significant new edition.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Has an Apple event ever been held at the larger venue, that wasn't a part of WWDC or a Macworld?
  • Reply 68 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post






    How is iOS 5 in any way a "small" announcement?



    The term is being used in its relative sense.



    He's saying that compared to both a new version of the phone and an OS update, having just the OS and a refresh of the same phone is, in relative terms, small.



    No doubt that so far as software updates go, iOS will be "big". But overall, I think he was referring to reality compared with the prior accepted wisdom.
  • Reply 69 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I don't expect Apple to be promoting the longer acronyms.







    I wonder how many people would really care about that bit. Using voice and data simultaneously would require using a headset, which I've almost never seen anyone use, or speakerphone, which is really telling the other end that you hate them.



    Ah no. Sorry, but you have not thought this through at all.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    That doesn't address the crux of the issue, how many people actually use it, and how often? No one wants to give up a feature, but a feature not used didn't actually need to be there. Apart from myself, on rare occasion, I've never seen anyone use it. It just strikes me as more of a talking point than a routinely used feature.



    So you're saying that you have never said to anyone on the iPhone, "Let me look that up right now"? You always hang up on them, look up the movie start time and then call them back?
  • Reply 71 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    All this talk of blackouts etc may be some what bogus in terms of the implications. It could be that Apple in fact told managers to limit requests for Oct 4- 12th, with nothing allowed on the weekends because they are high traffic times in general.



    Yeah, maybe it's just generally a high-traffic time, being Thanksgiving and all. Because Canada is Apple's most important market... right?
  • Reply 72 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Apart from myself, on rare occasion, I've never seen anyone use it. It just strikes me as more of a talking point than a routinely used feature.



    That is because it is so difficut to do with such a small screen and keyboard. People don't want to inconveience the caller on the other end while they struggle. Just compare that with how often you multitask with a phone and a computer. It is completely effortless. Having the abilty to do that on your mobile is pretty much an unrealized dream.
  • Reply 73 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    That doesn't address the crux of the issue, how many people actually use it, and how often? No one wants to give up a feature, but a feature not used didn't actually need to be there. Apart from myself, on rare occasion, I've never seen anyone use it. It just strikes me as more of a talking point than a routinely used feature.



    I use it constantly. I don't care for making phone calls but when I am I usually checking data that require internet access.



    Case in point, I was on the phone with a cruise line for about 30 minutes while my iPhone was acting as a Personal Hotspot for my MBP. It made for a very enjoyable experience for looking up data with my computer, while being on hold or chatting with a CSR with my iPhone's headphone/mic.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    Ah no. Sorry, but you have not thought this through at all.



    You have opportunity to enlighten me. To just tell me I've not thought through it does nothing to argue your case.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    So you're saying that you have never said to anyone on the iPhone, "Let me look that up right now"? You always hang up on them, look up the movie start time and then call them back?



    But I've never seen anyone do that. Besides, it's awkward unless you have a headset - which used to be common but I don't see so much anymore.
  • Reply 75 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I use it constantly. I don't care for making phone calls but when I am I usually checking data that require internet access.



    Case in point, I was on the phone with a cruise line for about 30 minutes while my iPhone was acting as a Personal Hotspot for my MBP. It made for a very enjoyable experience for looking up data with my computer, while being on hold or chatting with a CSR with my iPhone's headphone/mic.



    I too use it on occasion. It's nice to have. But does that mean that most people use it? The truth is, it doesn't prove that. Anecdotes such as "I use it" does not show that "most people use it", a single data point proves nothing. I've not seen evidence of the widespread or even much use of that feature.
  • Reply 76 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    That doesn't address the crux of the issue, how many people actually use it, and how often? No one wants to give up a feature, but a feature not used didn't actually need to be there. Apart from myself, on rare occasion, I've never seen anyone use it. It just strikes me as more of a talking point than a routinely used feature.



    I use it all day every day. I do wonder why more people that I see driving around with their phones held up to their heads don't use their headset, though. If I didn't have the capability, I would get the warning about data transfer probably 25 times a day. I think more people use it than you'd think. ATT may be an "evil corporation" (TM) but I doubt they'd build a marketing campaign out of something that none of their users ever did.
  • Reply 77 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    I use it all day every day. I do wonder why more people that I see driving around with their phones held up to their heads don't use their headset, though. If I didn't have the capability, I would get the warning about data transfer probably 25 times a day. I think more people use it than you'd think. ATT may be an "evil corporation" (TM) but I doubt they'd build a marketing campaign out of something that none of their users ever did.



    I've not seen said marketing campaign, unless you mean the ads where they happen to mention it as one of half a dozen or so features. And it's not as if marketing doesn't to sell people on things they don't need.



    If it really was such a big deal as you suggest, I doubt VZW would have more subscribers than anyone else.



    I do know that people talking in a forum don't represent the user community as a whole, but rather a subgroup.



    As yet, I'm not finding survey results that show it's a popular feature.
  • Reply 78 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I too use it on occasion. It's nice to have. But does that mean that most people use it? The truth is, it doesn't prove that. Anecdotes such as "I use it" does not show that "most people use it", a single data point proves nothing. I've not seen evidence of the widespread or even much use of that feature.



    Here is another anecdote: I've never used my external display port on any Mac notebook I've owned. Yet I don't think Mac notebooks would be better by not having that option for those that do use it.



    I can't imagine not having the option for simultaneous voice and data. If Verizon and Sprint don't offer a solution then I will remain on AT&T. There is no better option for my needs.
  • Reply 79 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I too use it on occasion. It's nice to have. But does that mean that most people use it? The truth is, it doesn't prove that. Anecdotes such as "I use it" does not show that "most people use it", a single data point proves nothing. I've not seen evidence of the widespread or even much use of that feature.



    You saying you don't (think you) see people use it doesn't prove anything either. You see the person across the street with the headphones playing with the device in their hands, how do you know they're not on a phone call at that moment? I doubt you're actually asking these strangers about their usage, you're just assuming. So what we have is a bunch of users directly saying they use it, you saying you use it, and you saying you haven't confirmed many other people using it.



    We do know however that ATT has spent millions of dollars reminding the USA that you can't do it on Verizon, and that you can on ATT. Lacking any hard evidence of how many people use it (since EVERYONE who replied to you said they did, including yourself), I challenge you to find a better source of evidence that at least ATT thinks that people care about it. You surely don't think that ATT didn't do any market research before buying those ads, right?



    Anyway it doesn't matter, it is a feature and it will remain a feature on ATT, and it will be lacking from Verizon for the time being.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I've not seen said marketing campaign, unless you mean the ads where they happen to mention it as one of half a dozen or so features. And it's not as if marketing doesn't to sell people on things they don't need.



    If it really was such a big deal as you suggest, I doubt VZW would have more subscribers than anyone else.



    I do know that people talking in a forum don't represent the user community as a whole, but rather a subgroup.



    As yet, I'm not finding survey results that show it's a popular feature.



    Have you lived under a rock for the past 4 years? The ads with Luke Wilson where the other guy had two phones so he could talk and web? The ad with the guy at the office working late whose wife calls about their anniversary dinner? These ads are EVERYWHERE and have been for years.



    If you haven't noticed those ridiculously carpet-bombed ads, it's not surprising to me that you haven't noticed people talking while using their iPhones for other things.
Sign In or Register to comment.