Aluminum unibody iPhone 5, low-cost iPhone 4S seen propelling Apple's sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What are you referring to exactly? a Liquid metal body for an iPhone would have very few advantages and quite a few drawbacks. Most notably the price would be astronomical and the chassis would be even less radio transparent than an aluminium one.

If they use liquid metal at all it will be in the battery contacts where it will actually do some good.

As I said earlier in the thread, we will be back to the exact same discussion we have had here numerous times.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

I can't wait until these trash guessing articles on iphone 5 end.

Me either... because then we can get straight on to trash guessing articles about iPad 3 and iPhone 6
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:

If they use liquid metal at all it will be in the battery contacts where it will actually do some good.

Only if they want to add a resistive coating...

From the Liquidmetal website:

"We do not recommend our alloy for conductive applications."
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This should be the first release of their exclusive contract with a certain CalTech Materials Science Firm.

Looks like LiquidMetal cleaned up their website.

http://www.liquidmetal.com/

Used to be quite a pile.

Could it be because of this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...uce_ipads.html

Now that iPads are being produced in Brazil, it would make sense for Chinese suppliers to see a drop in orders. Apple also recently started buying flash memory from Japan. Some of this, if there is any truth in the report, could be that APPL is simply diversifying it's supply chain.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Maybe the antennae will be Liquidmetal:

Since 2003 Liquidmetal has manufactured:

Over 10 million hinges for mobile phones and smart phones

Over 2 million antennas

Over 2 million cases

Over 1 million pounds of coatings materials
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

More than $300? And defeat its purpose of being a cheap'n'good iPhone?

I'd say $250-$300 TOPS. Apple is going to be as agressive about this as they are with the iPad. And a 35% profit margin isn't exactly small.

Not really. The current iPhone 4 is $650 without a contract. For people like me who despise the 2-year rip-off cellphone contracts that Verizon/AT&T require for an iPhone, a $300-$400 iPhone that can be used on any provider (including pre-paid) is exactly what we've been waiting for.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

Not really. The current iPhone 4 is $650 without a contract. For people like me who despise the 2-year rip-off cellphone contracts that Verizon/AT&T require for an iPhone, a $300-$400 iPhone that can be used on any provider (including pre-paid) is exactly what we've been waiting for.

I wonder if Apple's contracts with ATT/VZN prohibit such products? But, maybe this limitation is being timed out? If so, let the games start!
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:

What are you referring to exactly? a Liquid metal body for an iPhone would have very few advantages and quite a few drawbacks. Most notably the price would be astronomical and the chassis would be even less radio transparent than an aluminium one.

Whatever Apple eventually use it for assuming they ever do, just one point re your comments. I suspect cost isn't an issue. Apple can usually take a previously 'price would be astronomical' issue and make it work well for them through scale or superior engineering while leaving competitors stranded because of that high price.

If you want a clue folks listen to the last few seconds of this video around 10:40 minutes in. This is said by a team ember who knows Apple have a lock on this. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P7Dg...layer_embedded
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not my area of expertise but I'd have thought if they use Liquidmetal they will more likely cast the entire casing using it not coat anything. The point is to achieve a unibody design without the need to machine it as they do now with an aluminum block.

At their web site, they have a page on "Industrial Coating" -->http://www.liquidmetal.com/applicati...rial-coatings/

Because the title of this article said aluminum unibody, I thought I have to assume that the bulk of the body structure is in aluminum. But, aluminum surface wouldn't be tough enough to meet Apple's expectation for a cell phone. So, my next guess is to coat the surface. It's just a wild guess. I suppose we won't know until 10/4
  • Reply 30 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just can't figure out why there are so many dualing articles in the press about the iPhone this year. Some say a totally new 5. Some say major differences inside, but pretty much the same outside. Some say both, but with the similar model made less expensively.

What's going on here? We see new, bigger cases, and usually these new cases do reflect a new phone. But by this time before release, we'll see some parts that show the new model. We're seeing nothing this time. But, I don't remember seeing much of the 4's case before the unveiling, so...
  • Reply 31 of 65
    My question w/an aluminum unibody design is, what happens if your iPhone takes an unplanned swim? Currently if your cell phone gets soaked you remove the battery and stick it in a bowl of rice for a couple of days or use a hair dryer or similar drying techniques. With the unibody design, will we still be able to get to the battery>
  • Reply 32 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

My question w/an aluminum unibody design is, what happens if your iPhone takes an unplanned swim? Currently if your cell phone gets soaked you remove the battery and stick it in a bowl of rice for a couple of days or use a hair dryer or similar drying techniques. With the unibody design, will we still be able to get to the battery>

What the hell? You're joking, right? Since when have you been able to remove the battery from ANY iPhone? What a ridiculous post.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

Maybe, but Apple already sells the iPod Touch at $229, and it has 16GB, not 8GB from the rumors. The antenna can't be much expensive, and Apple doesn't need to profit more just because it has "iPhone" written on the back, although they can do that and get away with it pretty easily
  • Reply 34 of 65
    I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see apple giving us 4g, new design, larger screen, larger storage, better camera, and a faster processor. Looking at pasted events this is what I think apple will give us updated processor, camera and other smaller internals for both the touch and iPhone with two choices of colors white and black and that's it.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Just skimming the Wikipedia entry on "Liquidmetal" I can see at least two compelling advantages: faster production and better energy efficiency when recycling the material.

1. "The ability to be cast and molded, combined with high wear resistance, has also led to Liquidmetal being used as a replacement for plastics in some applications."

That would make it easier to create complex metal iPhone / iPad / MacBook enclosures without all that machining. And it's possible that the process could take less time too. Time is money in manufacturing, so that could lead to lower production costs.

2. "The alloys are also malleable at low temperatures (400 °C/752 °F for the earliest formulation), and can be molded."

This could mean that less energy is required to recycle Liquidmetal by melting it and re-shaping it. I'm no materials scientist, but aluminum alloys supposedly melt in the 620 - 650 °C / 1150 - 1200 °F range. That's much more heat than Liquidmetal alloys require.

Apple already has a recycling program for their products. It wouldn't be a stretch to enhance it to get a better recycle rate for devices that use Liquidmetal. Presumably the material is more expensive than aluminum alloy, so Apple would be motivated to reuse as much of it as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidmetal

http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...=MA0001&ckck=1

http://www.apple.com/recycling/
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinthemountains View Post

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see apple giving us 4g, new design, larger screen, larger storage, better camera, and a faster processor. Looking at pasted events this is what I think apple will give us updated processor, camera and other smaller internals for both the touch and iPhone with two choices of colors white and black and that's it.

Wow. That's a near-perfect "concern troll" post. Welcome to the forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...#Concern_troll
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinthemountains View Post

Your point being? Any time anyone has any idea about any collection of rumors, Apple doesn't deliver. It doesn't even need stated anymore; it has been the case since the turn of the century.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Hope you dont struck by lighting in the rain.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What the hell? You're joking, right? Since when have you been able to remove the battery from ANY iPhone? What a ridiculous post.

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/ip...pairguide.html

My sister's iPhone 3G got dropped in the ocean, she took the back cover off so she could dry it out and her phone still works. So something like this is my question. Tone things ------

Edit.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Maybe, but Apple already sells the iPod Touch at $229, and it has 16GB, not 8GB from the rumors. The antenna can't be much expensive, and Apple doesn't need to profit more just because it has "iPhone" written on the back, although they can do that and get away with it pretty easily

The $229 iPod Touch definitely only has 8gb, so I'm not sure what you mean. There hasn't been a 16gb Touch since 2nd gen.