Aluminum unibody iPhone 5, low-cost iPhone 4S seen propelling Apple's sales

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I like that you're trying to use logic instead of emotions, but your arguments are very incomplete. I submit some evidence here to support the case of iPhone 4GS.

Can't be 4GS. Bet that was just a typo.

OH!

OH OH!

I've had an idea. WHAT IF, the so-called "4S" is just the Verizon iPhone with a SIM tray and GSM antennas added? We already have the proper chip.

Huh? HUH?! That way Apple ONLY sells world-mode phones, there's not a lot of engineering or wasted money on their part with an old model, and it would indeed require a name change.

None of this extra bumped-spec crap, just support for every carrier in every phone they sell.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

First, Apple currently sells two phones: iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. So they can continue this:iPhone 5 and iPhone 4. The difference this time *may* be that, unlike past years, they will actually modify the iP4 slightly and so a slightly modified name is warranted.

Only if they add the A5 to the iPhone 4 form factor. That's basically the only thing that warrants a name change. For the 3GS, Apple created a new SKU in 2010 by creating a previously non-existing 8 GB iPhone 3GS. They continue to sell that today.

However, adding the A5 to a prospective low end phone (the $99 w/contract version) could cause marketing confusion, not to mention margins either. If past performance is an indicator, Apple will simply create an 8 GB iPhone 4 and sell it as the low end $99 w/contract model, while the next gen iPhone becomes the high end device.

I still find the fact that this marketing strategy actually works amazing. Just crazy. People are saving 5% of the cost over a 2 year contract. There should be no reason whatsoever for anyone to go with the $99 option unless it comes with a cheaper service contract. Crazy.

Quote:

Third, Apple is not brilliant when it comes to naming products - they prefer simplicity.

You got this wording incorrect. Apple is brilliant at naming products. The best in the business.

Quote:

I agree there is no way they'd present only an iPhone 4S as a follow-up, but presenting an iPhone 5 along with an iPhone 4S would not be inconsistent with their history. In fact, they will likely not spend much time talking about the 4S. Not saying this is a sure thing, but saying instead that you risk eating words by stating with conviction that there's no such thing as 4S.

If the next gen iPhone is an iPhone 4 with A5 guts, plus other features like 8 MP cam and Assistant, yeah, they be talking about it all day, everyday for a year.

Quote:

The camera sensor is an interesting discussion point in guessing size. We know that the 5MP sensor has shrunk in size. But how thick is the 8 MP sensor? Well, the Galaxy SII has a 8MP sensor, and is a full mm thinner than the iP4 (but Samsung does not always use the thinnest part of its phones as the thickness spec).

As per a thread from awhile back about the UK advertising board allowing Apple to market the iPhone 4 as the thinnest smartphone in the UK, the GSII indeed is thicker than the iPhone 4 due to the camera bump and the bulge at the bottom.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Not again. I love the glass sandwich design on my iPhone 4. It's distinctive and unique among mobile phones and is the first phone I've owned where the back hasn't got scratched to hell. Even if a phone has a cover that encloses the rear, grit and small particles normally find their way inside and scratch it up over time.

The iphone 4 design IMHO is genius. If Apple go back to the old way of doing things I won't be in a hurry to switch.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I just can't figure out why there are so many dualing articles in the press about the iPhone this year. Some say a totally new 5. Some say major differences inside, but pretty much the same outside. Some say both, but with the similar model made less expensively.

What's going on here? We see new, bigger cases, and usually these new cases do reflect a new phone. But by this time before release, we'll see some parts that show the new model. We're seeing nothing this time. But, I don't remember seeing much of the 4's case before the unveiling, so...

It means that Steve probably tore a number of people a new orifice after the iPhone4 leaks and Apple has locked down the iPhone 5 secrets ultra tight. Even the supposed "left at bar" prototype didn't make it out beyond some half-hearted story of people looking for the alleged prototype. There's also probably been improved dealings with China with various Chinese companies and authorities not wanting to screw the pooch (or golden goose) on this one.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It means that Steve probably tore a number of people a new orifice after the iPhone4 leaks and Apple has locked down the iPhone 5 secrets ultra tight. Even the supposed "left at bar" prototype didn't make it out beyond some half-hearted story of people looking for the alleged prototype. There's also probably been improved dealings with China with various Chinese companies and authorities not wanting to screw the pooch (or golden goose) on this one.

Well, let's see. Supposedly one new phone lost in a bar here. One phone stolen from Foxconn and sold to some manufacturer. So why aren't we seeing some photo's, even anonymously?

Blueprints that could be fake, and that seem to be what these case manufacturers are using seem to be the only evidence so far. No reports from suppliers at all except for denials. No larger screen shipments that we hear of. Nothing! Just a couple of pics of front panels which could very well be fake.

Come on! You live in that general area. Break into a factory for us!