T-Mobile wants iPhone, appeases customers with Android alternatives

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Dear T-Mobile,

I've been a loyal customer of T-Mobile for many years. Although I've ached for an iPhone since its introduction, I felt it was merely a matter of time before you'd have it since the mothership in Germany was the exclusive carrier in that country. I'd always been impressed with T-Mobile's customer service and felt the combination of your service and Apple's iPhone would be nirvana in mobile communications.

I waited, and I waited. Each year, Apple introduced yet another updated iPhone without T-Mobile USA. I frustratingly continued to wait. Still no iPhone.

Now, we're on the cusp of iPhone 5 and you not only won't be on the bandwagon but now blame Apple.

Well, T-Mobile, I'm done. This will mark my last month with T-Mobile. I've not yet decided with whom I'll go with but whoever it is will offer the iPhone. I suspect I'll not be alone this time around. I'm confident your customer base will diminish considerably and not only because you don't have the iPhone but because you have morons for managers who don't have a clue that a manager's job is to make things happen, not wait for things to happen. If you really wanted the iPhone, you'd have it. I suggest you talk to managers in the mothership in Germany and learn your job. They obviously know how to make things happen.

Sincerely,

A soon to be former customer.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Although the BGR {BoyGeniusReports} article {http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/23/exclusive-apple-testing-iphone-4-for-t-mobile-usa/} is one of the few articles supporting my prediction, 26 pictures of different EVT field tests are harder to deny than none. {http://www.bgr.com/nggallery/page-320/album-all/gallery-158/image/2104/}. According to a macnn.com article, Apple has 2 field tests phases: EVT and AP; the AP phase, which is after the EVT phase, is just before it hits the store shelves for sale. {http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/18/verizon.iphone.may.be.in.last.testing.stages/}. The iPhone N94 Prototype was tested on T-Mobile's 3G frequency bands; and it seems that this prototype went through 2 EVT phases when we take a closer look at the picture macrumors.com gave us. {http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/26/iphone-n94-prototype-back-cover-is-this-actually-the-iphone-5/}. This prototype then went into the AP testing phase and received an FCC ID soon after. {http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/02/fifth_gen_iphone_fcc_id_revealed_in_ios_5_beta_7_r eaffirms_imminent_announcment.html}. Unless there were more than one iPhone N94 model tested for other networks such as Sprint, I would place my bets on T-Mobile getting before or at the same time Sprint gets it on this Oct. 4. This predictions occurs whether AT&T acquires them or not. I haven't yet seen any physical evidence such as these for a Sprint iPhone; and after talking with a few of their sales representatives, the company's management has not received any word either.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    [URL="the actual URL of the website"]Here's how to do a real link[URL]

Just put a backslash in front of the closing URL.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tingri View Post

Dear T-Mobile,

I've been a loyal customer of T-Mobile for many years. Although I've ached for an iPhone since its introduction, I felt it was merely a matter of time before you'd have it since the mothership in Germany was the exclusive carrier in that country. I'd always been impressed with T-Mobile's customer service and felt the combination of your service and Apple's iPhone would be nirvana in mobile communications.

I waited, and I eek of . Each year, Apple introduced yet another updated iPhone without T-Mobile USA. I frustratingly continued to wait. Still no iPhone.

Now, we're on the cusp of iPhone 5 and you not only won't be on the bandwagon but now blame Apple.

Well, T-Mobile, I'm done. This will mark my last month with T-Mobile. I've not yet decided with whom I'll go with but whoever it is will offer the iPhone. I suspect I'll not be alone this time around. I'm confident your customer base will diminish considerably and not only because you don't have the iPhone but because you have morons for managers who don't have a clue that a manager's job is to make things happen, not wait for things to happen. If you really wanted the iPhone, you'd have it. I suggest you talk to managers in the mothership in Germany and learn your job. They obviously know how to make things happen.

Sincerely,

A soon to be former customer.

Agree with Tingri

If T-mobile will not get iPhone 5 with AT&T/Verizon and Sprint I will terminate my relationship with TMO (Voicestream) which I have for 10+ years and go probably to Sprint.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Blah blah, we want it but we refuse to do anything for it, blah blah, we deserve to just be given it because we're a telecom and we make the rules blah blah, sorry, it's entirely Apple's fault, blah blah, here's the crap that we have instead."

That's T-Mobile right now.

That's pretty concise and accurate -- are you sure you aren't a Professional Journalist?

T-Mobile WISHES to sell the iPhone -- but cannot yet. Android is outpacing the iPhone -- because it is cheap and available. People want smartphones and the Android is "good enough". But it is clear, when the iPhone is available, people always prefer it over the alternatives.

As soon as AT&T buys up T-Mobile and they have the iPhone, the Galaxy Tab will be a throw-away purchase.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple is rumored to soon bring the iPhone to Sprint, America's third largest network, there have been no credible reports of an iPhone model that will support T-Mobile's non-standard UMTS 3G frequencies, which are unique to T-Mobile's US market and not used by any other GSM-type carrier worldwide.

Might wanna check your facts before you publish your articles, there are three new providers in Canada that run on AWS HSPA+ like T-Mobile does, Videotron, Wind and Mobilicity. Also, AT&T and MetroPCS own AWS bands in the US, though they're not using them just yet. They both plan to use them for their LTE network. Just saying'!
  • Reply 27 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 28 of 50
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

"Blah blah, we want it but we refuse to do anything for it, blah blah, we deserve to just be given it because we're a telecom and we make the rules blah blah, sorry, it's entirely Apple's fault, blah blah, here's the crap that we have instead."

That's T-Mobile right now.

They're asking to sell it. They've stated publicly that they'd like to sell it as opposed to simply hosting jailbroken (blah I made up that word) phones on their network. Why not post something constructive like what you'd expect them to do here?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Ugh, your customers want gold you offer them toe cheese.

Again this is a stupid comment. You're actually blaming them for selling what they have available which is just remarkably stupid. Do you really think Verizon pushed the iphone before they received it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

T-Mobile is acting short-sighted in this case or just doesn't care anymore knowing it will either be eaten up by AT&T or Sprint. AT&T paid major money for the iPhone, as did Verizon, and likewise with Sprint. If T-Mobile wanted to survive, it would cough up the money to Apple and take a temporary loss for a MAJOR long-term gain.

Oh joy.... another person with misinformation. AT&T put up a lot of money for an exclusivity contract, but I don't recall that being upfront. Apple received a portion of the earnings from them after Verizon turned down similar terms. When did they ever write a big check? Verizon was the obvious choice after AT&T due to sheer subscriber volume. Anyway what were you expecting them to fund?

Edit: My guess is that Apple is waiting to see if one of the other carriers will take over T-Mobile in the near future.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

They're asking to sell it.

They go to Apple. Not the other way around.

Quote:

Why not post something constructive like what you'd expect them to do here?

'Kay.

Here's something constructive. The question every shareholder needs to ask T-Mobile: "Why don't you morons man up and ask Apple what you have to give them to get the iPhone?"

Quote:

Do you really think Verizon pushed the iphone before they received it?

All the more reason this move from T-Mobile is so pathetic.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

Here's something constructive. The question every shareholder needs to ask T-Mobile: "Why don't you morons man up and ask Apple what you have to give them to get the iPhone?"

Euros, right? Large piles of them.

• Reply 31 of 50
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

They go to Apple. Not the other way around.

'Kay.

All the more reason this move from T-Mobile is so pathetic.

You have both anger and an agenda here. What makes you think they haven't tried to go to Apple? I would think they would have tried to set up meetings like this in the past. They're selling what is currently available to them, and people are bringing iphones onto their network anyway. Like I said Apple might be waiting to see if a takeover is imminent. The potential sales volume might not be high enough to warrant this taking priority with obvious last minute work needed on whatever will be the next iphone generation. Apple has their priorities and a finite number of employees just like any other company, so they do have to pick and choose what they work on and when. If a takeover doesn't happen I still wouldn't expect to see the iphone make it to T-mobile until after Sprint.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Why can't Apple simply add radio support for T-Mobile's 3G band and call it a day? Oh I know, GREED. Apple would be able to sell unsubsidized iPhone's by the truckload in this scenario but instead choose to provide only to the carriers they can milk. With highly competitive pricing and smallest subscriber count, T-Mobile simply can't afford to participate in this fleecing.

I like the iPhone, but not enough to jump ship. The problem with Sprint is that their network is awful (just wait until people realize they are getting 2G speeds on Sprint's 3G network and 3G speeds on Sprint's very sparse 4G network). AT&T and Verizon are just too crazy expensive. Fortunately, despite what all the Apple evangelists spew, there are plenty of very nice Android phones that already do and will continue to fit most of my needs. At least I can still tether off to my iPad AND T-Mobile won't charge me extra or gripe about it.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You have both anger and an agenda here.

My agenda is to find out why they're sitting on their butts about this.

Quote:

What makes you think they haven't tried to go to Apple?

The part where he says, "We're waiting for Apple's call."

Quote:

The potential sales volume might not be high enough to warrant this taking priority with obvious last minute work needed on whatever will be the next iphone generation.

Well, we have a million iPhones on T-Mobile now. That's not good enough?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Why can't Apple simply add radio support for T-Mobile's 3G band and call it a day? Oh I know, GREED.

No, not really. Not at all, in fact.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

My agenda is to find out why they're sitting on their butts about this.

The part where he says, "We're waiting for Apple's call."

Well, we have a million iPhones on T-Mobile now. That's not good enough?

No, not really. Not at all, in fact.

Stop being so thick headed. T-Mobile either can't afford to pay Apple for the iPhone, or Apple has an agreement with other carriers not to give it to them. If you have some other (logical) explanation, feel free to provide it.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

T-Mobile either can't afford to pay Apple for the iPhone

But they can subsidize Android phones that cost the same amount? If you think 'afford' is about paying Apple to add the 1700MHz band, Apple has to do that for other carriers, anyway.

Quote:

or Apple has an agreement with other carriers not to give it to them.

Is that even legal?
  • Reply 36 of 50
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    They are likely blaming Apple because they probably did approach Apple and Apple told them they'd get the iPhone when they got bought out. That and Apple probably asked for the BOD's first-born children to get the iPhone now.

T-Mo isn't Verizon. Apple isn't going to go out of their way to support them. If you were Apple why would you not wait for T-Mo to get bought? This is probably what's frustrating T-Mo's CMO.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Why does it matter to you?

Are you unhappy with your current iPhone experience?

I have no current iPhone experience. That has nothing to do with it, nor should it.

The more carriers actually have to fight, the less collusion there is, the better my cell prices are.

And the better the cell hardware is if we get every band known to mankind supported.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    T-Mobile is pretty much in "closure" mode now anyway, right? Either they get gobbled by AT&T or they close shop. That's their argument for merging with AT&T in the first place!

If T-Mobile got the iPhone5 that would tide it over but the spectrum AFAIK is not compatible with AT&T and Verizon so no way in heck Apple is going to tailor one for them.

T-Mobile got 1700 and 1900 spectrum but the compatible spectrum with world standards for GSM 3G is 1900 and 2100 MHz as well as 850 and 900 (all in mhz).

Part of their mistake was in not rolling out enough 3G in the 1900mhz band.

If Sprint gets iPhone 5 that's pretty much game over for T-Mobile.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's their argument for merging with AT&T in the first place!

Aren't they arguing against it?