Amazon Kindle Fire aims to undercut Apple's iPad with $199 price

145791016

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 303
    I'm wondering about the browser rendering in the sky stuff.



    Does that mean that Amazon is going to know every single site that somebody visits?



    When I go to visit my favorite site, horny midgets getting it on with horses, is Amazon going to have a record of that?
  • Reply 122 of 303
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post


    r. To think, all it took was taking the much maligned closed approach for a tablet maker to come up with a competitive product running Android.





    Yes, and the haters of closed ecosystems have gotten really angry with Android for subverting an Open Source project left the building.
  • Reply 123 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post


    Undercut the iPad on price? This doesn't make any sense; apples to oranges.



    It's like bragging about how your Nissan Sentra undercuts the Porsche 911 GT3 on price.



    How many Sentras are sold for every GT3?



    How much profit does Toyota make each year compared to Porsche?



    What is the most important thing to a huge multinational corporation like Apple?
  • Reply 124 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post


    Markets, as a reflection on human culture, always has the top 10% who are willing to pay more for higher value products. Apple under SPJ has been able to target that market really well. Their performance was and continues to be selling products that gets those 10%.



    Are you predicting that the iPad will go from 90% market share down to 10% due to the new Kindle? I think that is a little extreme, especially in the short run.
  • Reply 125 of 303
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    How many Sentras are sold for every GT3?



    How much profit does Toyota make each year compared to Porsche?



    What is the most important thing to a huge multinational corporation like Apple?



    To maintain their share of the tablet market. As I keep having to write, except for conference calls, Apple never get on stage and crow about profits. They crow about Market share when dominant ( iTunes, Tablets, iPods, etc.).
  • Reply 126 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joguide View Post


    I think the Kindle Fire will sell well for the price conscious consumer. It is however slower than the original ipad, has little memory, poorer and smaller screen, and lacks a camera. It does not have 3G, and it is saddled with Flash (which has yet to work well on tablet form).



    It will compete nicely against Samsung and other Android tablets, for whom price is a very big deal. Interestingly, it will put a very distinct and different fork on it, where content will be pushed to Amazon and not Google.



    But for most consumers, they are looking for the leading edge in technology, and this is clearly not it.

    It is yesterday's technology repackaged in a nice discount price. For some that is enough.



    JoeG



    What is the ratio of consumers looking at hardware specs vs ease of use and do what I need it to do?



    I dont know the exact ratio but if hardware specs where the majority of consumers choice, the iPad would not be the leader in current sales as the Xoom and others have offered way more hardware features already. (USB, better screen ratio/res, memory etc)



    The device + echo syste + ease of use for device/echo system + PRICE is the formula that only Apple has gotten right so far.



    Kindle already had that formula correct when it came to e-readers.
  • Reply 127 of 303
    Looks like a cheap PlayBook variant(plastic) without cameras or 3G. Will not and can not compete with the iPad or any other tablet.



    Will be a good e-reader, though.
  • Reply 128 of 303
    The fire is lighter than the iPad and the nook color (which the fire is also cheaper than).



    The resolution of the fire and color nook is better than the ipad at 169 ppi to the iPad's 132 ppi. As an LCD reader, the fire and nook color are more appealing to readers because of the slightly better resolution and greater available book content, coupled with the much cheaper cost.



    I recently bought the new nook over the nook color because I wanted the e-ink, plain and simple. I bought the device with the best specs for reading (including outdoors). I absolutely love the thing. I figured I'd wait to buy a tablet when the iPad goes retina. At 326 ppi (assuming retina on an ipad = ppi of iphone) the iPad becomes the perfect read-in-bed with the lights off reader (even better if the thing weighs a little less in the newer version), plus all the other features it offers.



    At that point price will be the main barrier between potential iPad customers and folks who mainly want an e-reader. By then, many people (like myself) will bite the bullet and decide to own a retina iPad and an e-ink reader. No matter what, e-ink is still fairly similar to ink on paper, and to many people (like myself) the experience of reading print-sharp text on a reflective surface (like paper) is preferable to reading on an emmitive surface (like an LCD). After all, the fire is an e-reader, the ipad is a tablet computer—crossover functions, but still separate devices with specific relative niches. If someone gets around to perfecting color e-ink, I'm there in a heart beat.
  • Reply 129 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    But there is definitely a market for an inexpensive device that can deliver the basics. We'll just have to wait and see.



    Precisely. And in that arena, where there'll be many beasts fights for the scraps, Amazon is quite well positioned.



    But, if HP and Nokia have proven anything, you can't be in the market to not make a solid profit in each and every device that goes out the door.



    And if Amazon thinks this device will not make a profit but drive sales, guess what, Amazon's products also sell for little profit, in the long run will this compensate?



    The 10" is vaporware, Microsoft style future intentions advertised to give customers hope.



    In my opinion, Tim and Steve are happy and consider this a victory - the more cheapo /unprofitable business models show up the better.
  • Reply 130 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post


    Care to guess what the iPad tablet market share will be in December of 2012? I bet its below 50%, but still the biggest....because of this tablet.





    37%. Just like the iPhone. But it will not be the biggest, because all the Apple-haters and cheapskates and poor people with no taste will all buy Android tablets, and Android tablets will be over 50%.
  • Reply 131 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post


    Before the Kindle Fire, iPad had 80+% of the tablet market in year 1 of its life. That dropped to 60% (in the sixties) in year two of its life because of Xoom, Tab and others. All of those others lacked, apps early on and the echo system that Apple had.



    Care to guess what the iPad tablet market share will be in December of 2012? I bet its below 50%, but still the biggest....because of this tablet.



    Huh? 73.4% this quarter according to Gartner.
  • Reply 132 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post


    The fire is lighter than the iPad and the nook color (which the fire is also cheaper than).



    The resolution of the fire and color nook is better than the ipad at 169 ppi to the iPad's 132 ppi. As an LCD reader, the fire and nook color are more appealing to readers because of the slightly better resolution and greater available book content, coupled with the much cheaper cost.



    I recently bought the new nook over the nook color because I wanted the e-ink, plain and simple. I bought the device with the best specs for reading (including outdoors). I absolutely love the thing. I figured I'd wait to buy a tablet when the iPad goes retina. At 326 ppi (assuming retina on an ipad = ppi of iphone) the iPad becomes the perfect read-in-bed with the lights off reader (even better if the thing weighs a little less in the newer version), plus all the other features it offers.



    At that point price will be the main barrier between potential iPad customers and folks who mainly want an e-reader. By then, many people (like myself) will bite the bullet and decide to own a retina iPad and an e-ink reader. No matter what, e-ink is still fairly similar to ink on paper, and to many people (like myself) the experience of reading print-sharp text on a reflective surface (like paper) is preferable to reading on an emmitive surface (like an LCD). After all, the fire is an e-reader, the ipad is a tablet computer—crossover functions, but still separate devices with specific relative niches. If someone gets around to perfecting color e-ink, I'm there in a heart beat.



    Why wouldn't someone just buy one of Amazon's cheaper devices, as you did with the Nook, if all they want to do is read a book?
  • Reply 133 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Are you predicting that the iPad will go from 90% market share down to 10% due to the new Kindle? I think that is a little extreme, especially in the short run.



    http://memeburn.com/2011/09/gartner-...-tablet-market



    Question really is will the Kindle Fire change those numbers faster. Much like Andriod did on the smartphone.



    Not if but when
  • Reply 134 of 303
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    37%. Just like the iPhone. But it will not be the biggest, because all the Apple-haters and cheapskates and poor people with no taste will all buy Android tablets, and Android tablets will be over 50%.



    Unless the Kindle is 70%, the iPad wont be 30%. Because, as I have written, this tablet has killed all other Android tablets, unless other hardware manufacturers want to sell at a loss.



    If you think this will be successful on price alone, the only surviving competitor will be Apple. Nobody else has the content to subsidise the hardware.
  • Reply 135 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joguide View Post




    But for most consumers, they are looking for the leading edge in technology, and this is clearly not it.

    It is yesterday's technology repackaged in a nice discount price. For some that is enough.



    JoeG



    Android phones currently outsell iOS phones more than 2 to 1.



    Why do you expect the tablet market to be different?
  • Reply 136 of 303
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post


    http://memeburn.com/2011/09/gartner-...-tablet-market



    Question really is will the Kindle Fire change those numbers faster. Much like Andriod did on the smartphone.



    Not if but when



    Apple were never at 90% on the phone market - they have yet to compete on price. And they haven't lost share to Android ( possibly they have lost potential share). What will happen in the next year is Apple growing as they enter new markets - China and Japan - and lower prices.
  • Reply 137 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


    Huh? 73.4% this quarter according to Gartner.



    You're wasting your time with bettie. Scroll through her/his posting history and you'll understand why. How's that Palm Pre holding up, bettie?
  • Reply 138 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


    I'm not sure I understand you right but books in iBook store is already cheaper than in Kindle.



    Furthermore, I have seen many books that are MORE EXPENSIVE in kindle than in paperback through Amazon. That is scandalous!



    Furthermore, you're enprisoned in the proprietary kindle format, it's not PDF! I will shy away from Kindle App as much as possible!
  • Reply 139 of 303
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,085member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Why wouldn't someone just buy one of Amazon's cheaper devices if all they want to do is read a book?



    Magazines are much more appropriate for a color device. My wife has probably a dozen or more subscriptions to various periodicals on her Nook Color, and often just because it was so convenient to do IMHO. I doubt she regularly reads some of them, but the $30+ every month still charges to her account. She's the kind of customer that Amazon is going after, and I think there's a lot of them out there.
  • Reply 140 of 303
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Android phones currently outsell iOS phones more than 2 to 1.



    Why do you expect the tablet market to be different?



    Because they can't tie them to carriers as they can with phones, lol.
Sign In or Register to comment.