Kindle Fire features Amazon's 'cloud-accelerated' Silk Web browser

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

So Silk uses the Amazon cloud as a proxy that downsamples and caches content. This could open things up for Amazon to modify web sites as in inject their own ads into other sites based on content and other Goggle ad type of processes for their own benefit. Not to sat they will, but they could to support their free cloud and reduced hardware price.

Sounds like Opera.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Can't be done on an iPhone or iPad, at least to my knowledge. That is closer to the comparison we are discussing since the article is about the Amazon Fire and Silk browser.

That's true. If I'm browsing with my iPad, I don't think that there's a way to do that yet, AFAIK.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

So, if I download Opera mini or Skyfire I'll get the same experience as SILK?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grub View Post

Sounds like Opera.

Both of you would be basically correct.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    This should hasten the demise of flash.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

If they're only making 19$ profit on the device.....

They're not.

Please understand the difference between 'gross margin' and 'profit.'
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmccally View Post

Well, apple tracked everywhere I've been driving to and walking so... this can't be any worse.

Past versus future.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Great. Amazon gets to track everything you do on the net. No thanks.

Your ISP is already doing that in case the government comes along at a later date and wants to know what you have been up to. So you are okay with that but are concerned about Amazon?

-kpluck
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm not so sure that this 'cloud accelerated' browsing is necessarily a good thing.

I don't know about other people, but I wouldn't want my every move on the internet being tracked.

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of SOME reason not to like this thing. No surprises.

The fact is you're probably not doing anything you need to hide anyways.

It's not like there's some evil looking FBI agent in a dark room giggling as he monitors you on the web or something...
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Your ISP is already doing that in case the government comes along at a later date and wants to know what you have been up to. So you are okay with that but are concerned about Amazon?

-kpluck

It's not a legitimate concern. They're just trying to find reasons to bash this thing.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nickmccally View Post

Well, apple tracked everywhere I've been driving to and walking so... this can't be any worse.

Wrong. I would go into detail on what actually was going on with iPhone "tracking" but since that information is already out there and you don't seem to understand what was going on I doubt having me explain it again would help.

-kpluck
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:

Can't be done on an iPhone or iPad, at least to my knowledge. That is closer to the comparison we are discussing since the article is about the Amazon Fire and Silk browser.

Obviously Apple ][ never uses an iOS product to surf the web. From that, he concludes that ...
  • Reply 32 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Silk's logging of user browser patterns could set up Amazon as a potential competitor to Google. Or, the HW and OS isn't strong enough to support a native browser.

This is what I was going to comment on. It seems as though we are getting web based companies releasing services for us that are really disguised attempts to get more of our data or usage patterns to sell to advertisers. Google is the master at this, considering that they have nothing to sell, and almost everything they have aimed at us is "free". of course, they track everything we do and sell that. Now Amazon is beginning to do that as well. There is no way they are going to make any major profit on these new devices by selling them, unlike how Apple makes its money through selling hardware.

The problem is that there is no way that Amazon can guarantee that customers will buy enough from them through these "tablets" to earn them a profit from their sale. So they have to resort in other methods. Tracking everything we do is one of those methods.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Split browsing like my Palm Treo 650 used to do!
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Silk's logging of user browser patterns could set up Amazon as a potential competitor to Google. Or, the HW and OS isn't strong enough to support a native browser.

amazon hosts most of the content in their cloud anyway, so why not do something like this for the performance boost

this is apple's Achilles's heel. their cloud or backend or whatever you call it infrastructure is the worst outside the clone android tablet makers
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:

In a way there might be less tracking since the server logs for all of those unique domains where the pieces and parts are coming from will show Amazon's IP address not yours.

The concept sounds interesting though, but on the other hand so much of the internet uses cookies, and now HTML5 stored client data, I would expect the benefits of splitting up the rendering to be somewhat offset by the need for the mobile device to do a lot of the heavy lifting anyway.

Considering that every website can know what computer is entering their site, it seems as though Amazon, which knows who purchased each of their devices, as they are registered back to Amazon, will easily be able to know exactly who is asking for what every time.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Your every move on AI is tracked by over a dozen advertising companies. That doesn't seem to stop even a guy like you.

WRT to "other people", they care even less than you about being tracked, and you seem to care very little when it comes right down to it.

No, that's not true. You would have to click on one of those for that to happen. AI can't track where people go from this site, only that people come here, and that alone isn't telling advertisers anything other than they are here.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

amazon hosts most of the content in their cloud anyway, so why not do something like this for the performance boost

this is apple's Achilles's heel. their cloud or backend or whatever you call it infrastructure is the worst outside the clone android tablet makers

The performance boost appears to be required because these are low end devices. Even the Fire's dual core CPU is outdated. But tracking users buying patterns and browsing patterns is very valuable. As with Google, we are becoming their product to sell.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:

There are definitely pros to these server-side browsers — like smaller transmitted data sizes to render a page and the ability to display Adobe Flash without heavy local processing — but there are plenty of cons, too. Personally I haven't missed Adobe Flash on the iPhone and have been impressed with Safari on iOS (save for iPhone OS v2.0 to 2.2) that my evaluation of the server-side browser on the iOS App Store have been short lived.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:

But, but ... They spent at least a Zillion dollars on their new Data Center and now they have iCloud. You are spouting heresy.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They're not.

Please understand the difference between 'gross margin' and 'profit.'

Fine. they have an estimated gross profit margin of 19$ per unit.

Better?