Mockups demonstrate Apple's anticipated iPhone 5 'Assistant' feature

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

So, my point here is that it'd seem weird if the functionality we're talking about works well enough to be acceptable to Apple in ios5 on the A5/iphone5 (and we know Apple doesn't want to put it out there if the HW limitations make the experience suck), and yet is crap enough on the A4 that Apple would remove it from ios5 running on the A5/iphone5.

Computing has bottlenecks other than the CPU. The GPU in the A5 is supposedly 9x faster than the A4, the RAM is rumored to be 1 GB and who knows how fast it is. Even the speed of the storage could make a difference. It could be something as simple as RAM requirements.

And yeah, "2x" the CPU (it really depends on the MHz as Apple could ship a 1.0 to 1.5 GHz version, in which case, it could have 2.5 to 3x the throughput), 9x CPU, and 2x RAM relative the A4 in the iPhone 4 could be the difference between running a smart agent and not.

We'll see how it goes, assuming the feature is real of course.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Because people can't read news about handsets that they don't own? I read Android news when I had an iPhone and now I read iPhone news when I have an Android...get this, I actually read both types of stories regardless of which device I owned.

Just blew your mind, right?

Not at all, I understand that you like all kinds of technology. I was just curious about your motivation.

J.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Why's it so strange? If you like smartphones and gadgets in general your going to want to know whats happening on all of them so that when you change you get the best for yourself.

Buying one brand of technology and then never looking at what other people offer is stange, how do you know your device is actually any good if you never try any others?

If you like technology, brand specific blogs and forums are not the best place to get information. At least not if your interested in unbiased (or less biased) information.

It's also very easy to know if a device, in this case an iPhone or iPad, is any good: just try it out and use yourself as a reference. That works remarkably well, you should try it.

J.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

If you like technology, brand specific blogs and forums are not the best place to get information. At least not if your interested in unbiased (or less biased) information.

It's also very easy to know if a device, in this case an iPhone or iPad, is any good: just try it out and use yourself as a reference. That works remarkably well, you should try it.

J.

If you like technology enough to read a site that's going to give you the latest info on one of the biggest companies out there, chances are you don't just read one site like this and you also read a few others covering different companies.

Going to the extent of registering on this site but not liking technology by any other manufacturer is just weird. Its like saying if Apple made the walkman and Sony made the iPod you would only be interested in the walkman. Or that 12 months a year you read a site that for a phone will only ever mention 1 new product a year. It doesn't make any sense to be that interested in 1 tech companies products but not any others.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iPhone, please post to AppleInsider forums thread 133237 saying, "I can't wait for the usual suspects to post their Apple copies Android again comments. You know who you are. Smiley face."

No need. You already said it
  • Reply 66 of 81
    yea this is very much like Google voice search...except of course the UI is light years better...

On android for the same thing I'd have to say

"Text Scott Forstall Mobile (short pause) I like the new assistant"

and for the ISS I'd simply have to say "International Space Station" or "ISS"

but if what I hear about the expanded features of nuance is true...then wow.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

yea this is very much like Google voice search...except of course the UI is light years better...

I am told Target app has Nuance voice search built in and it's local, not server-side, which would make it world's better than the Google voice search if true. I've tried both the Target app and Google app to test their voice apps after I heard about it; Google's voice search is lot slower.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joevi View Post

The functionality already works very well in Mango. Makes driving and texting a whole lot safer.

Is that allowed in The States? It's forbidden in most European countries.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:

If you like technology enough to read a site that's going to give you the latest info on one of the biggest companies out there, chances are you don't just read one site like this and you also read a few others covering different companies.

Going to the extent of registering on this site but not liking technology by any other manufacturer is just weird. Its like saying if Apple made the walkman and Sony made the iPod you would only be interested in the walkman. Or that 12 months a year you read a site that for a phone will only ever mention 1 new product a year. It doesn't make any sense to be that interested in 1 tech companies products but not any others.

Could be as you say, not everyone is the same though. It makes no difference for the point I made about 'unbiased' information.

The point is that not every technology company is the same as you seem to suggest. There is an underlying reason for Apples enormous success, it's not that they make some nice products now and then, like any other company out there. And that makes it not so strange to be mainly interested in Apple and not so much in other companies. If you don't understand that, your kind of reasoning comes to play.

J.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Could be as you say, not everyone is the same though. It makes no difference for the point I made about 'unbiased' information.

The point is that not every technology company is the same as you seem to suggest. There is an underlying reason for Apples enormous success, it's not that they make some nice products now and then, like any other company out there. And that makes it not so strange to be mainly interested in Apple and not so much in other companies. If you don't understand that, your kind of reasoning comes to play.

J.

I get that some people are a bit obsessed by apple, but still think its strange to only like a feature when apple include it in a product and not when other people do.

Anyways my origional comment was about someone being called strange for reading apple news when they have an android phone. I'm just pointing out that a lot of people just like technology and don't care who's logos on it, just that the tech is good. After all why let brand loyalty get in the way of buying a decent product.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:

I get that some people are a bit obsessed by apple, but still think its strange to only like a feature when apple include it in a product and not when other people do.

Anyways my origional comment was about someone being called strange for reading apple news when they have an android phone. I'm just pointing out that a lot of people just like technology and don't care who's logos on it, just that the tech is good. After all why let brand loyalty get in the way of buying a decent product.

I see you don't agree with me that Apple is a very special brand but you don't seem to understand that that's not a matter of opinion anymore.

On the original point: I already acknowledged your view on the matter, but someone who says his non Apple phone is perfect and still comment on an Apple phone seems a bit suspect or strange to me. Why care about another device if you already have the perfect one?

You don't seem to understand brand loyalty at all. Your loyal only when the products you buy are extremely good. If you think otherwise you make the mistake of underestimate the buying public; you declare them insane so to say.

J.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Voice recognition has been around since the DOS days. This is not some new advent in the last few years. It's been around and in use for almost 2 decades. It has changed quite a bit since it's inception. The old pre-2000 days you had to pause - for - every - word - so - the - software - could - recognize - word - breaks. In short, you sounded like William Shatner in an odd twist of fate.

Somewhere around 2005 when Nuance was born from the old Dragon Dictate, processors were around the 1GHz range, so it's not crazy to think they could do this locally but I tend to doubt it will be local if they are doing queries shown in the mock up with such a high degree of accuracy.

As to those questioning if Android uses the cloud, simply turn off your internet connection and try it and see what results. I suspect that simple things like "Call X" are local as they don't require much processing power, while more completed commands leverage server farms.

The Google app is actually quite good at recognizing basic sentences for web searches. I use it quite often on my iPhone when I'm in the car and don't feel like typing a complex query. As long as it's a common query, the app usually gets it right (or I should say Google's server farms do).

Having bought a very old copy of Dragon way back in the day, I can tell you that word recognition has come a long way and only with the advent of those server farms has it become usable. I'm not opposed to Apple leveraging a similar system if the end result is a more usable result. It would be nice if the feature is local but time will tell.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is that allowed in The States? It's forbidden in most European countries.

Why would something that makes driving safer be banned in?

Oh, it's Europe. Right.

Yeah, in some states, it's illegal to NOT use a hands-free system if you're on a cell phone in your car.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would something that makes driving safer be banned in?

Oh, it's Europe. Right.

Yeah, in some states, it's illegal to NOT use a hands-free system if you're on a cell phone in your car.

I would imagine he's referring to Texting itself being unsafe while driving. Any distraction from driving is less safe than none at all. Even hands-free has been shown to be just as risky with no reduction in accidents related to cell use in states where hands free devices are allowed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012900053.html
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I would imagine he's referring to Texting itself being unsafe while driving. Any distraction from driving is less safe than none at all. Even hands-free has been shown to be just as risky with no reduction in accidents related to cell use in states where hands free devices are allowed.

Ah, that makes sense.

But so how does that help me? A 'no hands-free' law is completely unenforceable. I'll still be hit by morons doing this, and I'll still be hit by morons still PHYSICALLY texting while driving.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, that makes sense.

But so how does that help me? A 'no hands-free' law is completely unenforceable. I'll still be hit by morons doing this, and I'll still be hit by morons still PHYSICALLY texting while driving.

It doesn't' help you. You just seemed to miss the previous posters point that texting while driving is not allowed in most European countries.

I would think even voice activated texting would be an unwanted distraction as you would still have to verify visually that the text was correct before sending.

Useful in a pinch though. I've used the voice dial to that effect which saved time glancing through an address book while driving.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Voice recognition + non American accent = FAIL
  • Reply 78 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I tried the Nuance power Target app search with Spanish. Didn't work. Not sure about a non-American English accent.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Believing this: "fail".
  • Reply 80 of 81
    multilingual input support

In order to compete more effectively, many companies are striving to provide global reach with local access. To that end, it’s important that a company’s self-service applications support multiple languages and dialects as appropriate to meet the needs of its customer base. Nuance Recognizer supports more than 44 languages and dialects spoken around the world. It can even recognize from several language grammars in parallel to address the needs of caller populations that speak multiple languages
    http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups.../nd_005977.pdf (PDF, 400KB)