German carrier lists Apple 'iPhone 4S' in 16GB, 32GB & 64GB capacities

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Don't kick yourself, the iPhone 4 had serious antenna problems. Very good phone except for the serious antenna problem. I had one and love it except for all the dropped calls, I returned it. I still have lots of dropped calls from other people with iPhone 4's.

I'm also waiting to replace my 3GS and if all they introduce is a jazzed up 4S (A5 processor, 1GB Ram, 8MP camera) WITH a revised antenna, that 4S will go from a great phone with a bad antenna to a REALLY GREAT phone!!!! I'll be getting one!

I really don't have that problem any worse than my 3G. In fact, the dropped calls got better with that as the network improved. My 4 had no antenna problems whatsoever.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Never seen this image before even as a mockup...could this be the iPhone5???

Could be. It looks beautiful.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

So it seems likely to move to an 8mp camera, A5 chip, gig of ram, 64 gigs storage, and be able to run a voice recognition system that no current phone can run...

...and if it looks the same you will find it disappointing and kick yourself.

Not that i am suggesting that some people place too much emphasis on external appearance or anything, but if that is how you feel, i think a lot of us would kick you as well.

The shape is a tad too square for my arthritic hands, the shape of my 3GS is more comfortable to hold. I was hoping for a redesign that was not totally flat.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    Quote:

So it seems likely to move to an 8mp camera, A5 chip, gig of ram, 64 gigs storage, and be able to run a voice recognition system that no current phone can run...

Those are specs.

"Looks the same" ain't the main point - Form follows function.

The screen will look tiny compared to the other new phones unless it gets enlarged to a modern size.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueDjinn View Post

Or, perhaps it's the fact that they chose to call it "4S" instead of "5" that makes him think it's a "minor" upgrade. I have news for you: My 3GS was a *huge* improvement over the 3G.

At the time, the 3GS was hot-shit hardware compared to anything else on the market.

But the 4S, if it follows what has been speculated, will not be. That is the difference. How much it improves over an old design is irrelevant to most people who buy smartphones. How it compares to the current crop of alternatives is the only real question for them.

And a 4S, even if built in line with the with the most optimistic predictions, will not wow many new buyers with a mere spec bump.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I'm starting to think the iPhone 5 is delayed by some unknown amount of time. All of these shreds of info suggest the 4S is going to be available this week or mid-month at the latest. If there is no iPhone 5 introduced concurrently, the question then is whether they'll announce it anyway tomorrow, say it's coming with a rough date, or not say anything at all about it. My hunch is they will say something about it even if it's not ready but who knows?

Check it out:

$49.00=iPhone4 with 2 yrs contract

$399.00=iPhone4 for purchase-Prepaid services

$99.00=iPhone4S-16GB-2yrs contract

$199.00=iPhone4S-32GB-2yrs contract

$299.00=iPhone4S-64GB-2yrs contract

$199.00=iPhone5-16GB-2yrs contract

$299.00=iPhone5-32GB-2yrs contract

Just wait and see!!
  • Reply 27 of 77
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I really don't have that problem any worse than my 3G. In fact, the dropped calls got better with that as the network improved. My 4 had no antenna problems whatsoever.

My experience too. My IP4 has outperformed all previous phones that I have had in the marginal service areas around my location. It is possible that the few reports of antenna problems simply represent faulty phones, but the people who complain of this seldom seem to have tried to get a replacement.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Never seen this image before even as a mockup...could this be the iPhone5???

I like that the plastic edge between the glass and exteriorantenna is gone. Mine slipped off my couch and dented the plastic on day one, then I bought the bumper which totally ruined the sheen on the antenna cause dirt got trapped underneath. The 3Gs held up beautifully for 2 years and the 5 for 4 months.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Not that i am suggesting that some people place too much emphasis on external appearance or anything, but if that is how you feel, i think a lot of us would kick you as well.

I'm thinking it will only have 512MB RAM, just like the iPad 2 SoC which pushes more pixels with a larger area display than the iPhone will be. Remember this is iOS, not Android, so memory management isn't as poorly controlled allowing for less RAM to do more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Don't kick yourself, the iPhone 4 had serious antenna problems. Very good phone except for the serious antenna problem. I had one and love it except for all the dropped calls, I returned it. I still have lots of dropped calls from other people with iPhone 4's.

I'm also waiting to replace my 3GS and if all they introduce is a jazzed up 4S (A5 processor, 1GB Ram, 8MP camera) WITH a revised antenna, that 4S will go from a great phone with a bad antenna to a REALLY GREAT phone!!!! I'll be getting one!

Bullshit!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nah. Too thick looking. Nice renders though.

Nothing about the front-faving pic looks right. Too thick, raised top, and some weird divide between the display and bottom section. The back looks very slick. I don't know Apple could do that with glass without the edges from cracking or with plastic that would hold up well from scratches, but it does look nice.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Bullshit!

Steve Jobs was giving out FREE bumpers and you claim "Bullshit"!

Dude????
  • Reply 31 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Y.M.S.BUSHAN View Post

Check it out:

Just wait and see!!

I don't think Apple will sell two different phones for the same price. And if there really is an iP4 and an iP4S and an iP5, there will have to be something more significant than internals that are different. I also don't think Apple would have three phones all with the same screen size. The iPhone 5 will be a power-users phone: larger screen and both GSM and CDMA (the large screen means a larger case with room for all of the antennas needed for both). Oh, and it won't be available immediately which is why it's not yet showing up in the screen shots included in the story.

So...

$349.00=iPhone5-32GB-2yrs contract

$449.00=iPhone5-64GB-2yrs contract
  • Reply 32 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Steve Jobs was giving out FREE bumpers and you claim "Bullshit"!

Dude????

Absolutely. They did it to appease the frenzy the media created, not because there was a fault with that design.

If there was a fatal flaw with the design 1) how have they sold record numbers of iPhones quarter-after-quarter without giving away bumpers, 2) how are people making calls for the past 17 months on the same design, 3) why didn't they do a recall or change the design early instead of going an 1/3rd of a year between iPhone change ups… the exact opposite of having a failed and faulty product on the market?
  • Reply 33 of 77
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Y.M.S.BUSHAN View Post

Check it out:

Just wait and see!!

If this is true, then it may suggest iPhone 5 has dual radios whereas the other models do not. Could be the reason (space) why iPhone 5 tops out at 32 GB and not 64GB.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Absolutely. They did it to appease the frenzy the media created, not because there was a fault with that design.

If there was a fatal flaw with the design 1) how have they sold record numbers of iPhones quarter-after-quarter without giving away bumpers, 2) how are people making calls for the past 17 months on the same design, 3) why didn't they do a recall or change the design early instead of going an 1/3rd of a year between iPhone change ups… the exact opposite of having a failed and faulty product on the market?

If it's not true then why hasn't Apple the litigator sued Consumer Reports and demanded a retraction for reporting this finding not once but TWICE?

We all know Apple is second to none at marketing- look how everyone now is biting their nails, salivating, waiting to be fed tomorrow.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:

If it's not true

We're done appeasing conspiracy theorists. Believe whatever lies you choose. Just don't waste our time or our forum with them.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Nah. Too thick looking. Nice renders though.

I would believe this before I would believe the iPod Touch thin version with that goofy teardrop that makes landscape clumsy to hold.

Mainly because you need some thickness for the internals and that thin version just seems too thin. this is a nice midway that gives us thickness and a smoother edge

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I'm starting to think the iPhone 5 is delayed by some unknown amount of time. All of these shreds of info suggest the 4S is going to be available this week or mid-month at the latest. If there is no iPhone 5 introduced concurrently, the question then is whether they'll announce it anyway tomorrow, say it's coming with a rough date, or not say anything at all about it. My hunch is they will say something about it even if it's not ready but who knows?

Or the other option, there never was a 4S and a 5 in the way that folks think there is going to be. And what everyone is saying is the 5 is half truth and half myth created by blogs picking up on the fantasy yearnings of their geek boy commentators and passing it off as 'a source says' like they have every year.

maybe there hasn't been a delay in the sense of "Apple was going to do this in June like always but something went wrong" but rather Apple for some business reason decided to revamp their release calendar to put the iPhone at the top of their fiscal year instead of the end. Perhaps it has to do with the whole GAAP accounting they have to do with the iPhone. Maybe they wanted to align the release of the iPhone and the iOS versions but felt moving WWDC into the winter or spring so that the developers would have a good 3 months to work on their apps was a bad move because it would crash into the iPad release. Maybe they are going to cut the shuffle and the classic due to a general lack of sales and feel that the nano and the iPod touch aren't pulling enough to really give the quarter a good result. Maybe they are tired of folks griping about having to wait 3 more months for the iPod touch to get what the iPhone did. heck maybe they are tired of the iPhone trumping what the iPod touch is likely to get (remember Apple is OCD to the max about keeping things a secret).

Who knows. We aren't likely to ever find out anymore than we will if they were thinking about releasing this or that and didn't or why they didn't.

Personally I think that all the rumored iPhone 5 stuff is mostly bunk. Either totally made up or someone got an iPod touch and missed that detail on the memo. What we are getting, I think, for the iPhone 5 is a new processor, new camera etc in essentially the same body. Yeah Yeah, I know, you're disappointed. It's not that different than the iPhone 4 you bought last year. Guess what. Apple isn't really going to care. There are enough folks on the 3g, 3gs or haven't ever gotten an iPhone to make up for those iPhone 4 users that are pissed that they didn't get a new iPhone 5 that can speak to Pluto and is made from the horns of unicorns. Apple looks at things as a whole and in their eyes, the hardware changes can be slim because iOS 5 has packed with new stuff. Going with this iPhone 5 I do think there is a phone that is being listed as the 4S. it's an 8GB iPhone 4 that uses the same dual band that is allegedly in the CDMA iPhone 4s meaning that you can switch back and forth between GSM and CDMA without having to buy a new iPhone. THis will be their concesson to the whole "In areas where ATT service is inadequate" that was left out of the quoting of the Consumer Reports articles last year. And it will make it easier to deal with inventory etc because all the iPhones will have this dual band so you don't have to worry about someone changing their mind and sending you back to get a phone for the other service. You just cancel and start over in the little pay thingy and hit the other button
  • Reply 37 of 77
    It's like Gruber said last week, you can guarantee if the iPhone 5 isn't announced on Tuesday, then the rumours will begin immediately that it's due out next year.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We're done appeasing conspiracy theorists. Believe whatever lies you choose. Just don't waste our time or our forum with them.

I believe the truth not conspiracy theories:

1.) Steve Jobs gave out free bumpers because of numerous customer complaints- is that a lie?

2.) Consumer Reports reviewed the iPhone 4 not once but twice and found fault in it's antenna design and Apple never sued CR and demanded a retraction- is that a lie?

And what makes you think you speak for everyone on here? Not only are you in denial but that statement sounds pretty delusional as well.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:

And what makes you think you speak for everyone on here? Not only are you in denial but that statement sounds pretty delusional as well.

I don't remember anyone in Europe, Asia, South America, or Africa complaining about the iPhone 4 and reception.

If Antennagate was real, why aren't we still hearing about it? Why aren't the millions of iPhones sold since being affected by it?
  • Reply 40 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

If it's not true then why hasn't Apple the litigator sued Consumer Reports and demanded a retraction for reporting this finding not once but TWICE?

We all know Apple is second to none at marketing- look how everyone now is biting their nails, salivating, waiting to be fed tomorrow.

Why does everything have to be all-or-nothing? The real world is not digital... It's not "1" (Apple created the absolute best antenna design possible) or "0" (the iP4 antenna is absolute crap). Maybe the the antenna could have been better than it was. I do believe the design "flaw" does create issues under some very specific circumstances for a small number of people. And perhaps Apple should have anticipated that. But I also believe that overall it's an improved antenna design over previous iPhones, and therefore a good thing. There was no need for a recall (0) or for suing CR (1) because there would really be no point in it. Nobody would have won such a case.

[Policital editorial: This same "digital" all-or-nothing mentality dominates American polictics and look at the mess we are in because we are always voting for 1s or 0s. All too often our politicians are zeros. ]