Microsoft changes its story, concedes death of Zune hardware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I like the tatoo design. But who, in the right mind, would put a tattoo on their body advertising any product? Wow....just, Wow.

In semi-unrelated news... a local man was found dead today... apparently the victim of fanboi-ism.

The nice thing is that no one will ever see my Apple tattoo unless they break into my shower.... while I'm using it.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ravedog View Post

The nice thing is that no one will ever see my Apple tattoo unless they break into my shower.... while I'm using it.

You got an Apple tattoo?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which appliance manufacturer will be next? General Electric?

Or will you emblazon your body with other brand logos instead? BMW? The Gap? Gillette? Kraft Foods?
  • Reply 23 of 62
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:

In semi-unrelated news... a local man was found dead today... apparently the victim of fanboi-ism.

I am not a fanboy, if that is what you are trying to imply. I like Apple, Sony and MS products, but will buy any brand that provides a good value. I would like the Zune icon even if it had nothing to do with MS. It is just a cool design.

By the way. Apple will NOT always be doing well. Just like every other company, they will fall due to their own hubris in some fashion. Whether it happens soon or later is up to the company itself and has nothing to do with competition or its customers. I hope that doesn't happen for a LONG time to Apple (I like their products), but it will ... eventually.

And if you are serious about having an Apple tattoo (which I doubt you are) then my comment about wearing any company logo on your skin applies.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

I'm not dead yet!

Quote:

I'm feeling much better!

• Reply 25 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I feel sorry for this guy. Talk about bad decisions, sheese...

He changed his position on the Zune three years ago.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Don't forget the children... aren't they forbidden from tasting of the Apple fruit?

jragosta said: "Both of the Zune customers are going to be really upset".

So I had to limit it to two (2), and decided on the adults.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Too bad. The Zune HD was a pretty nice piece of hardware, and I was looking forward to future iterations. Less choice is never good.

Well, it never was much of a piece of hardware. The market recognized that early on and that's why it failed. MS simply pulled the plug on the brain-dead device. Nobody will miss it.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Missed opportunty, Microsoft could have easily made an iPod Touch competitor and marketed it as such. Don't get why they did not do so, heck they could have added functions that the iPod Touch does not have such as a GPS chip.

Biggest issue I ever had with the Zune was it's name, seriously.... Zune, what the heck were they thinking?
  • Reply 29 of 62
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    but, but Sheldon Cooper said: "you will be sorry you wasted youre money on an iPod when Microsoft comes out with theirs." How can he be wrong?
  • Reply 30 of 62
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Missed opportunty, Microsoft could have easily made an iPod Touch competitor and marketed it as such. Don't get why they did not do so, heck they could have added functions that the iPod Touch does not have such as a GPS chip.

Biggest issue I ever had with the Zune was it's name, seriously.... Zune, what the heck were they thinking?

These are the people that named their interface "Luna" and their operating system "Vista." Are we really surprised?
  • Reply 31 of 62
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    I was never a huge fan of the zune UI, it seemed a bit busy with the fading background images and such, or at least that is how i recall it, don't think i ever tried one after the initial release.

Funny thing is, that is just personal taste, and it seemed like an ok product. Well, except for the name and the brown. I mean WTH?

The real story is that they are going to focus on phones. WP7 is the only original thing MS has done since Bob, and the only good product they have ever created in house (rather than buying and then ruining) and yet I think it actually has less users than two cans and some string. It is amazing that MS can crank out bad products, year after year, and sell them, but they finally release what actually has some potential and no one wants it.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

And that would be who? Bill and Melinda?

You forgot Alan Harper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfgc7yrfOFo
  • Reply 33 of 62
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They did try, and they failed. Sucks to be them, but no one should feel sorry for Microsoft (and I doubt anyone here does).
  • Reply 34 of 62
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Wonder how much shareholders money they pissed down the drain on Zune?

Hopefully less than you did on your education.

Some people need to move past the 90's and either upgrade their mindsets, or if they insist on sticking with their irrelevant space-wasting thought processes maybe think about taking up bird watching or caravanning so they can rant with all of the other dinosaurs.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    ernsternst Posts: 11member
    What's a Zune?
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I feel sorry for this guy. Talk about bad decisions, sheese...

Wow.....reminds me of this line..

"I can see marrying a girl, but a tattoo is so.....permanent!"

Today - 04-October-2011 - will be forever known as the day Zune ended. I don't see any other piece of technology news that could totally trump this news!
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejr1959 View Post

Dear Zune

I have just read of your demise. I can't say that I all that surprised. For a long, long time you have been lonely and sad living on your own. In the end you grew tired of being by your lonesome self and decided to end it all.

I can't say that I blame you.

Adios Zune, nice to have known you, hopefully someone will come by from time to time and leave flowers on your grave.

Thanks for thinking about me. Yes, it's been tough. People tell me that I'm good looking and pretty good at spinning records, but I'm just not from the right neighborhood. Perhaps if my folks lived in that nice gated community down the road, the girls would pay more attention to me.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:

Don't forget the children... aren't they forbidden from tasting of the Apple fruit?

If they do taste of the Apple, will they be dismissed from "Eden"?
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest version of the Zune hardware, the Zune HD, was released in 2009 and was positioned as a competitor to Apple's iPod touch.

Is there an app for that?
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Hopefully less than you did on your education.

Some people need to move past the 90's and either upgrade their mindsets, or if they insist on sticking with their irrelevant space-wasting thought processes maybe think about taking up bird watching or caravanning so they can rant with all of the other dinosaurs.

Or they could just rant at whatever they fancy - such as what you're doing here.