Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 461 of 641
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

It seems like you don't really understand how Apple works. They're going to keep things as simple as they can, and one of the main things they're going to avoid is fragmentation in the App Store. Screens with a different resolution are probably going to be avoided. They could potentially go smaller with half resolution (ala pre-'Retina' displays) though.

That you describe Google's domain as 'high-end' ground is a pretty clear tell on your position, though. Apple is competing in the 'high-end' ground and only the high-end ground. That some Android phones have bigger screens does not make them more 'high-end' than the iPhone. It just makes them a little nicer for tech folk who are more concerned with the size of their screen than general usability and portability (exempting folks with really fat fingers).

Apple is doing just fine with a single series of models.

I'd never asked for higher resolution on phone screen, but larger screen would make small text easier to read even with same resolution... like when you want to fit whole web page width on a screen without left-to-right scrolling.

But like I said in my previous post, I didn't really expect that. Only saying it would be nice surprise.
  • Reply 462 of 641
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So except for the ENTIRE EFFING PHONE it's the same. Got it.

You're right. It's not the same as the old model. It has worse battery life.

I'm still using a first generation iPhone. It lasts all weekend on a charge. I'm not sure any of the newer models would do that for me, and this thing is 4 years old. Every time an update has been announced I've been like 'meh.' I was really hoping this would be the update that would have enough goodies to pry my hands off the old trusty, almost rusty, first gen. No such luck. \
  • Reply 463 of 641
    Toss me in disappointed camp. I actually have a 4, but I have to slap the hell out of it for anyone to be able to hear me. So yea, I was thinking new phone, yay! But it feels like they upgraded the wrong areas

2x faster processor. My 4 doesn't seem sluggish in the least as is.

7x better gpu. For what, one game? On a 3.5 inch screen? Um-k

Voice commands. This one is pretty nice. I know android already has it, but I expect Siri will be really polished.

'4g' like speeds if you're not in the US :/

updated camera. This one was needed I guess, but some of the people that got hands on said it didn't seem very much better.

I guess after all this time I expected a lil more phone stuff.. Bigger screen, real 4g, etc. I'm kinda hoping this next nexus will have native active sync

But I think some die-hards around here should stop assuming that anyone not blown away by today should stop assuming it's all apple hate. Some of it is, but you can tell the difference
  • Reply 464 of 641
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Honestly, camera meg pixels do not equate to better image quality. Many camera enthusiast sites were nervous about Apple ditching its current camera for the 8 meg pixel camera because most if not all 8 meg pixel cameras perform(ed) poorly in low light. Sony supposedly developed some technology to improve upon that, but whether it was successful is debatable. When introducing the original iPhone 4, Jobs talked about the mega pixel issue and mentioned Apple wasn't going to focus on mega pixels, but instead camera quality. By all accounts, the iPhone 4 Camera is excellent for a camera phone. The jury is out on whether Apple scarified image quality to be able to advertise more mega pixels with this update. My point is just because somethings specs are higher does not mean it is better. That is what some marketing folks want you to think.

As far as Google Voice demo goes, the technology is completely different, and not as advanced as what Apple is offering. Perhaps that isn't apparent in the marketing. Apple's current phone offers limited voice command abilities. This will be significant improved. For example, it was really cool in the Apple demo today how the voice commands interacted with the GPS on the phone to do things such as remind you to call somebody once you leave work. I can see this being really useful. For instance, let me know when I approach the next Tim Hortons. It also can be integrated into Apple's locate friends and family members features. For example, "Give me directions to dad." Further, I imagine Apple will integrate this command technology with iCloud to allow you to better remotely control other devices synced to iCloud. Google's website shows limited support for voice recognition. It is way less sophisticated then what Apple is doing. Apple is also licensing Nuisance's voice recognition software, which is the best.

Moreover, Google's voice command technology relies on sending your voice to a server somewhere, which processes the commands. Without the Internet, it doesn't work. Further, the only reason Google offers that technology is to capture voice commands to use for other purposes. Apple processes the voice commands on the phone, which has several advantages, such as not needing the internet, and not giving somebody your conversations.

I am a little disappointed in this update mostly because I wanted some limited cosmetic changes, however, the performance of the hardware has been improved in every manner. At this point it isn't enough to make me upgrade, but this is strictly vanity speaking. I want people to know I have the latest and greatest. Who knows, once I see the full extent of the voice command potential, I might change my mind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by booradley View Post

I'm very disappointed. I have numerous Apple products and want to continue to purchase their products. I love them. They have been a year or two ahead of their competition until the past year. I believe this update catches them up with their competition. It doesn't put them ahead. I just saw a demo on the Google voice and they did exactly what Apple demo'd today. They've had it for over a year. They've had better cameras for over 1.5 years until today. Yes, Apple added more but today just caught up with their competition and will now be left behind in another month or so. Soon MS will catch them.

A survey just out stated that 80% of Apple customers are disappointed with this update.

• Reply 465 of 641
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdonjr1950 View Post

What Mr. Cook needed, what Apple needed,and what users wanted are not the same.

Mr. Cook needed something that would really blow the socks off the press just to show that Apple could out do Apple without Mr. Jobs. That did not happen. Mr. Cook will take a lot of grief over that.

Apple needed a reasonable and prudent upgrade to an already excellent market leading product. It needed to show it was moving forward with the latest technology. Most would say Apple got that.

What users wanted varies all over the spectrum as demonstrated by the responses to the upgrade in this thread. Whether enough users will be satisfied with the internal-only upgrade to buy millions of the new phones remains to be seen. In the long run that, and Apple's other products, will dictate long-term market trends not initial reaction to today's presentation.

Personally, I wanted both a new form factor and the internal upgrades. When I buy something new, I don't want to be asked if it is the old model. However, that first generation Verizon Blackberry Storm of mine is, well, crap.

Except for the slightly shallow need to show off that "my gadget IS the new one," (which I admittedly share), I totally agree with your post.

+3
  • Reply 466 of 641
    As I said, I am vain. In truth though, it is not all my vanity. There are some iPhone knockoffs that I think are beautiful mostly because of the larger screens. They are easier to read. I understand there is a fine balance that has to be struck with the phone fitting comfortably in most people's hands, but I think upping the screen size slightly would have been good enough to satisfy both my vanity and an improvement I think many would like to see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I could give a rats ass myself.

• Reply 467 of 641
    A agree with that. Every update is an incremental improvement, including going from the 3Gs to the 4. Maybe Apple should have just called this the iPhone 5. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They're all incremental improvements. What you're saying is that you're too superficial to see past a case change so you can hold the positional good over others. I guess that's okay, if that's how one wishes to buy products, but I prefer to look at the device itself. This is a major change for the future of the iPhone whether and others want to believe it or not.

• Reply 468 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I get asked if my iPad is an iPad 2 all the time. Que sera sera.

When I get my 4S I'll let people know that it's the iPhone 5 with the 5" screen. They'll be in awe...
  • Reply 469 of 641
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    That I want to say actually in defense of those not happy with this upgrade. Apple really can't expect to have things both ways. If you build up hype to the degree you do for your "magical" products, you have to expect this kind of backlash when you underwhelm people. No question that the media overhypes these events all on their own. But Apple also encourages it. Frankly I found most of today's event as boring was watching paint rust. We've all heard Apple pat themselves on the back time and time again and in my opinion too much time was dedicated to that today. I do, however, obviously think that the iPhone 4S will end up being a huge success.
  • Reply 470 of 641
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A agree with that. Every update is an incremental improvement, including going from the 3Gs to the 4. Maybe Apple should have just called this the iPhone 5. \

If they had it would have quelled many, not all, but many that feel it's not good enough to radically overhaul the entire internal design. The problem with that is when you do change up the casing you lose some marketing edge by simply going from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 in the next round.

My biggest wish was for a new button on the side that could access Assistant instantly. I hate having to hold the Home Button or my headphone cable button for several seconds before I can start use Voice Control.
  • Reply 471 of 641
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

I'm trying to remember if people reacted this way to the 3GS. It looks identical to the 3G after all. The interesting part is that most people keep their iPhones in cases anyway. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them in a case really. Do people really think that other people are that observant or really care which phone you carry? I owned the 3GS and never felt the need to clarify that it was not the 3G. Doesn't it matter much more that it does what you need and want it to do? If I was Apple and I read a lot of these posts I'd be tempted just to redesign the case every year and not waste time and money on making the damned thing work better!

Really what Apple should do is stop having these big events to announce upgraded existing products. Clearly people get way out of whack with their expectations because of them!

But it didn't take Apple 16 months to announce the 3GS, a iPhone 4S announced in June would've received adulations but most assumed a 4 month delay meant a new form factor and are thusly disappointed.
  • Reply 472 of 641
    Wow. A lot of hate for a phone you don't have to buy. Would you have responded similarly if Apple had released the 4S today and called it "iPhone 5?". Or would that have made it amazing?

They haven't updated the Macbook Pro's outward appearance (significantly) in 3 plus years. We keep on buying them.

They could skip iPhone 5 and go directly to 6. There was never an iPhone 2.

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

Maybe using numbers was a mistake. Maybe they should have stayed with the simple naming scheme they've used with their computers for years.
  • Reply 473 of 641
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Why?

Apple has addressed two very important issues...and many of you probably don't get it...

1. They now need only build one SKU. This addressed the distribution side of getting the iPhone4s into as many carriers (world-wide...China anyone?) as possible WITHOUT the need to manufacturer two different SKU's. The effect of this will markedly improve manufacturing efficiency and lead to even higher margins. This has Tim Cook's operational excellence finger prints all over it...WELL DONE SIR!

2. They continue to leverage their costs by making essentially the previous generation iPhone. Costs associated with bringing out a new form factor are mitigated.

These two issues will make the iPhone4s even more profitable.

For Apple shareholders like me, today's 'lackluster' announcements are of little concern.

For those who just wanted flames and confetti to shoot out of the "iPhone5", don't let the door hit ya' on the way over to Android.

Apple will be at 500 before July 2012.

You heard it here first.
  • Reply 474 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Tallest Shrill make'n friends.

Mode make'n enemies... Pity!
  • Reply 475 of 641
    I can appreciate how some of Apple's hardcore fans might be disappointed by the 4S. Putting aside for a moment that Steve Jobs is not there to wow the crowd, Apple delivered a solid upgrade to an already great smartphone. Apple, like most companies, has limited development resources and cannot always re-invent their latest products. I know that this will make no difference to some people, but for the vast majority of consumers, the 4S will more than suffice. Those who find this lacking have a multitude of Android-based alternatives. Yes, it's getting harder and harder for Apple to live up to the hype, but they have delivered a significant upgrade to an already great product. YMMV...
  • Reply 476 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But it didn't take Apple 16 months to announce the 3GS, a iPhone 4S announced in June would've received adulations but most assumed a 4 month delay meant a new form factor and are thusly disappointed.

You think so? The same thing happens every time they upgrade anything no matter how long they take from what I've seen. But as I said earlier, they are largely to blame for the crazy expectations anyway.
  • Reply 477 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Why?

Apple has addressed two very important issues...and many of you probably don't get it...

1. They now need only build one SKU. This addressed the distribution side of getting the iPhone4s into as many carriers (world-wide...China anyone?) as possible WITHOUT the need to manufacturer two different SKU's. The effect of this will markedly improve manufacturing efficiency and lead to even higher margins. This has Tim Cook's operational excellence finger prints all over it...WELL DONE SIR!

2. They continue to leverage their costs by making essentially the previous generation iPhone. Costs associated with bringing out a new form factor are mitigated.

These two issues will make the iPhone4s even more profitable.

For Apple shareholders like me, today's 'lackluster' announcements are of little concern.

For those who just wanted flames and confetti to shoot out of the "iPhone5", don't let the door hit ya' on the way over to Android.

Apple will be at 500 before July 2012.

You heard it here first.

Word
  • Reply 478 of 641
    "OK! New iPhones... new iPhones... gotta be some iPhones around here somewhere. Ah, here we go! Aaaaaaaaaaaaand... nothing!?"

Here's an idea, since making iPhones is difficult--why don't you just keep using THIS iPhone. Same one. And I can just... watch you use it. Yes. That sounds much easier." -Tim "Wheatley" Cook
  • Reply 479 of 641
    As a fellow Apple shareholder I couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 480 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by belunos View Post

Toss me in disappointed camp. I actually have a 4, but I have to slap the hell out of it for anyone to be able to hear me. So yea, I was thinking new phone, yay! But it feels like they upgraded the wrong areas

2x faster processor. My 4 doesn't seem sluggish in the least as is.

7x better gpu. For what, one game? On a 3.5 inch screen? Um-k

Voice commands. This one is pretty nice. I know android already has it, but I expect Siri will be really polished.

'4g' like speeds if you're not in the US :/

updated camera. This one was needed I guess, but some of the people that got hands on said it didn't seem very much better.

I guess after all this time I expected a lil more phone stuff.. Bigger screen, real 4g, etc. I'm kinda hoping this next nexus will have native active sync

But I think some die-hards around here should stop assuming that anyone not blown away by today should stop assuming it's all apple hate. Some of it is, but you can tell the difference

This pretty much sums it up.

-ios runs fast enough on a single core

-GPU was fine already. if devs start making games just for the 4s then we'll see 'FRAGMENTATION'

-4g-like speeds made me laugh. they'll be the same speeds as the iphone 4. it'll take quite a while before it reaches it's full potential. and even then we're seeing Android phones that top out at 21mbps HSPA+, not 14. They could've put LTE in it so easily. Not sure why on earth they didn't

-Voice commands? It take just as much time to go through the menus as it does talking out loud to your phone, waiting for it to recognize the command, and then having it perform the task. Let alone using this in public. I can't wait to laugh at the first person using this feature

-ios5? A mix of Android, Windows, and Blackberry features with heavy twitter integration. Nothing new here. Still a wall of icons for your background and no dynamic content

-updated camera? 8mp is very standard for newer flagship phones. We're going to see some more 12mp phones with more carl zeiss optics lenses too. 1080p is also standard on newer phones

but hey, if you're using the 3GS, it's a good upgrade. People will be able to see what Google has to offer here soon on the 11th