Apple showcases iPhone 4S camera with high-resolution sample photos

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I used to live in Saratoga, About 5 miles from Apple Headquarters. Periodically, there would be a bunch of balloons like these appear in the morning from North of Apple, then over De Anza college....

There was even one time that a balloon with an Apple Logo was tethered at Bandly One -- and you could go vertical for a short ride...

I suspect that these are candid shots from around Cupertino!

There are plenty of clues of where the balloons are in the video.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Nokia N8 is still better.

This.

And these are obviously professional photos taken by a professional photographer.

I won't judge the image/video quality/many other features for that matter until they're on sale and able to be reviewed
  • Reply 43 of 83
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I used to live in Saratoga, About 5 miles from Apple Headquarters. Periodically, there would be a bunch of balloons like these appear in the morning from North of Apple, then over De Anza college....

There was even one time that a balloon with an Apple Logo was tethered at Bandly One -- and you could go vertical for a short ride...

I suspect that these are candid shots from around Cupertino!

Sorry if I sounded doubtful. Guys don't bring you on balloon rides in the Northeast. We rarely even see them in the Northeast.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

By 'reasonably well', I'm assuming you mean 'raping everyone else and dominating the market'.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that the 4S will end up selling even more than the 4.

Wow, really going out on a limb there, huh?

Said it before, will say it again, the best part is none of these people bitching about the iPhone update will take it back when it crushes the last sales records set by, yes, the last iPhone. And when Apple talks quarter results in about year and the iOS devices and software, all alone, make more than any other entire company on earth, They will have no shame, and talk about the iPhone 5, and how it is so bad, and the update so underwhelming, that surely THIS will be the death of the company. Again. Just like the last 9 times.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Sorry if I sounded doubtful. Guys don't bring you on balloon rides in the Northeast. We rarely even see them in the Northeast.

They are quite common in Northern California... Woz even had a balloon at one of his parties at his castle in the mountains...

Never been on an untethered ride, but it is an amazing sensation to see the ground get smaller and no sound... just a soft whoosh of the air as you rise..

Neat!
  • Reply 46 of 83
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Guess what demographic this device is NOT aimed at.

I don't know. I'm a geek photographer and I'd rather have an iPhone 4S in my pocket over any other camera phone. In fact I know many geek photographers and nearly all have iPhones.

Photographers all say the BEST camera to use is the one you have ON you at the time.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I don't think anyone on stage today would argue with you. It's not expected to replace a DSLR.

You're right, those making that comparison against SLRs are daft. Apple's making a play against the point and shoot cameras, not SLRs. For those with SLRs and interchangeable lens cameras, the phone's improved camera is for when you're not lugging around the bigger cameras. Because they're more awkward to take everywhere, I don't carry the big camera around everywhere, only when I plan to take pictures. For every other time I spot a photo opportunity, I'll use my phone.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Ok- I see now the camera's control stay on the bottom unlike the current method so the picture now appears smaller. Yet another reason for a larger screen. So I suppose they will look the same size- smaller when viewing through the Photo app.

QuickTime works so slow on my iPad2 - or maybe it's Apple's website. Very annoying.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Sadly, you just missed them this year:

http://www.adirondackballoonfest.org/

Wonderfully fun time. I've never taken a girl there (well, i don't take girls anywhere, hint) but I have gone and it is spectacular.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Those pictures were obviously cropped - how do I know they weren't Photoshopped as well.

Troll. Welcome to the future. Ever heard of a (BSI) CMOS sensor?
  • Reply 51 of 83
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Well then I stand to be corrected. So then the new camera's picture will not therefor fit the screen ratio of the phone exactly and therefor give us black bars on the top and bottom or will it scan or blowup the image? If what u say is factual?

It depends on the app you use to view the photo. The current Photos app shows the image "blown up" in horizontal mode, cropping them slightly at the top and slightly more on the bottom, by default. You can squeeze the image to see the whole thing, but realistically, since very little isn't being displayed, most would just keep it at the default.

This isn't new.

Photos on the iPhone 4 don't exactly fit in horizontal mode either. They're slightly "blown up" and cropped too. You can test this. Simply look at a photo you took in vertical and horizontal and notice the difference.... Or take any photo in horizontal mode and squeeze it. Make sure to use a photo with details near the edges.

If you haven't noticed this yet, I doubt it's going to be an issue. Moreover, using exactly 1.33... is going to be advantageous for other reasons.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apparently, there are a lot of AI readers who don't get this.

As I mentioned, balloons are a non-trivial tourist attraction in Napa wine country. It's pretty darned easy to capture shot #1 if you're a Napa Valley tourist. It's like photographing some chick in a bikini at Venice Beach.

Again, there are a bunch of naive, highly sheltered folks here.

To all the folks who don't think every one of these shots were staged, go look at the new iPhone 4S commercial on the Apple website. Now stop arguing about something so completely stupid.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Who cares if they were staged? The point is to demonstrate the ability of the camera. Every day snapshots may not look that good, but clearly that level is possible.

Unless you really think Apple doctored them. In which case, the appropriate question would be: How's the tinfoil?
  • Reply 54 of 83
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

Except that it's not:

New body-Much lighter & much thinner.

Not 1 but 2 cameras.

Twice as fast.

Smart cover compatible.

Gyroscope.

iMovie.

Did I miss anything?

Except the 4S is twice as fast, has a much better camera, a better antennae, and twice the capacity. Oh, and Siri.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Except the 4S is twice as fast, has a much better camera, a better antennae, and twice the capacity. Oh, and Siri.

Apparently you're the only ones up here to be happy about this update. I'm not saying that I'm not, but I doubt it will be enough until next October with all the competition coming. Hey the Galaxy S II has had the same specs for months now! They'll need to redesign before that, maybe June.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Who cares if they were staged? The point is to demonstrate the ability of the camera. Every day snapshots may not look that good, but clearly that level is possible.

I think people are misinformed or just plain stupid. They think if the pictures were staged or shot by the pro it means this is not what they will get. Clearly, that's not the case. The key word here is "unretouched", that mean anyone can get these results from iPhone 4s if they are good enough. These are just nature photography. There is no lighting. It's just a matter of "can you wait for a right moment?" or "can you be in the right place at the right time?".
  • Reply 57 of 83
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can you reduce the res to save mem space
  • Reply 58 of 83
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Nice for a phone but I can't see myself giving up my camera for a while yet.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I think people are misinformed or just plain stupid. They think if the pictures were staged or shot by the pro it means this is not what they will get. Clearly, that's not the case. The key word here is "unretouched", that mean anyone can get these results from iPhone 4s if they are good enough. These are just nature photography. There is no lighting. It's just a matter of "can you wait for a right moment?" or "can you be in the right place at the right time?".

I don't get that myself. Even if Apple marketing hired balloons, I don't see where that is important. Heck, video camera makers put a whole lot of colorful moving crap on a stage to show off how well their equipment works. The typical buyer doesn't care if it's staged, the buyer cares about the quality of the footage. The question of staging is a distraction because it doesn't affect what they're trying to show.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple claims the new illuminated sensor gets 73 percent more light than that of the iPhone 4 and is a third faster than its predecessor.

The sensor is not illuminated; it is however backside-illuminated. While AppleOutsider's editors are just not illuminated at all.