Samsung attempting to block sales of Apple's iPhone 4S in France, Italy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Companies need to protect their valuable IP from copycats. Samsung had no choice.

I guess no one else picked up on the mockery lol.

Good post Joe.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    They should just wipe out any tech patents that are obviously needed for progress. Technology builds off itself like learning math.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

I agree, Samsung should demanding Apple instead to release iPhone 5 instead of this fudge of an update cooked up Mr Cook

Agreed- I want Siri with the fringe on top.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

They should just wipe out any tech patents that are obviously needed for progress. Technology builds off itself like learning math.

ain't that the truth.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Agreed!
  • Reply 26 of 67
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Companies need to protect their valuable IP from copycats. Samsung had no choice.

Hmm. Except they are wasting the courts time. They know Apple is already paying these fees through their chipset maker. They are simply trying to make a publicity stunt and generate a buzz for their S2 which is now on it's last legs.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Hmm. Except they are wasting the courts time. They know Apple is already paying these fees through their chipset maker. They are simply trying to make a publicity stunt and generate a buzz for their S2 which is now on it's last legs.

And how do you know they paying it through chipset makers?
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Should be fun. Guess Samsung are pissed off that they will no longer be making money supplying as many parts (CPU/FLASH potentially displays) to Apple and won't get an early look at future products to 'inspire' their design team (AKA the bloke in the back office with the carbon paper).

Maybe they continue to do with what they are best at, making their iPhone clones bigger and bigger.

No seriously, although I am absolutely sure apple will win this battle in the end, I am wondering at what price. This whole legal battle will consume so much money, that could be spent for more innovation. I really hope this is ending soon.

\
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

While I don't necessarily agree with wiping all the patents, this is still the smartest comment I have ever read on this site. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that "Technology builds on itself like learning math" line, do you?
  • Reply 30 of 67
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

I agree, Samsung should demanding Apple instead to release iPhone 5 instead of this fudge of an update cooked up Mr Cook

Everything but the outside of the thing got a major overhaul, and you're unhappy. Unreasonable expectations will make your whole life miserable. Did you want a change in the case shape? You obviously didn't hear Jobs talking about one of the interesting bonuses of the 3GS's smooth launch: there were already a million cases available, because the phone was the same shape as the 3. Did you expect LTE? Surely you didn't. I'm in one of the AT&T LTE cities, but most people aren't. Apple didn't launch 3G when a few people could get it. They launched 3G when most people could get it, and when the chips were compact and power efficient. Apple never gets pushed into doing things before they're ready. And certainly not by people whose expectations were set by rumors sites. You need to learn to read these kinds of things and keep a proper perspective about what's actually likely and what's not--otherwise you might want to consider eschewing these kinds of sites, because they'll just make you upset. The iPhone 4S is an excellent phone. Outstanding processor, stunning camera, and amazing antenna tech. And as far as that antenna goes, don't stamp your foot too hard demanding they change the case next time. They may have just gone and done something they think is optimal. That antenna trick is pretty neat.

Cheers.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

While I don't necessarily agree with wiping all the patents, this is still the smartest comment I have ever read on this site. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that "Technology builds on itself like learning math" line, do you?

Haha no I don't mind.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

With all do respect, this dustup is not about stupidity, it's about the outright thievery of Apple's IP by Samsung, and their refusal to cease and desist.

That being said, isn't it fun watching Samsung slowly strangle themselves! How absurd that the iPhone 4S infringes on some major Samsung IP. Please!

In my book, Galaxy phones are the next Zune, soon to be quietly put down, the same way Microsoft did it.

Oh, I completely agree that this all started with what appears to be the most blatant case of design copying that I have ever seen by a major company.

However, all of this (not just this one case) is getting really stupid. Apple sues HTC for IP violations, Nokia sues Apple, Samsung sues Apple, Google spends billions on IP and hands it out for other companies to sue Apple. Apple spends billions to bolster their defensive patent portfolio. AND SO ON AND SO ON!

This has all been done before. It was called the Cold War, and in the end both major participants ended up broke.

It is stupid when I go to any technology news site and over half of the news is about who is suing whom for some IP infringement. How many billions of dollars that could have been spent to "promote the progress of science" have been spent on lawyers?

At what point does all of this not only fail to promote the progress of science, but actually work to retard the progress of science? And when that happens at what point is it the government's responsibility to call this stuff unconstitutional and wipe it out?

This is what is what I consider stupid.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,024member
    Lots of posts here from people who probably didn't ever break a sweat inventing something or invest in a business.

To "wipe out any tech patents that are obviously needed for progress' is one of the more juvenile things I've heard. Unless you want government sponsored R&D and free IP for all areas of our life, private enterprise will expect to have its often substantial investments protected and/or remunerated. Else why invest the time and money?

The focus should be more on FRAND obligations (defining standards and the renumeration by licensee's to the patent holders), issuance of trivial patents, and patent sitters. The age old challenge is who makes these decisions?

R&D leads to innovation, innovation leads to market differentiation, and market differentiation helps build profitable companies that, if they are wise, invest back in R&D. And so on. Unless you can figure out how to live in a utopian world where all is done freely for the good of the masses, expect that companies will protect their IP equity. And they actually must when confronted with serious violations, or they diminish their defense as time passes.

I have no idea what Samsung is claiming now, but if legitimate, Apple should pay - one question might be how much changed with the iPhone 4s vs past iterations when no claims where made by Samsung. But there is so much behind the scenes that we would never hear about that speculation here is fairly wild.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Everything but the outside of the thing got a major overhaul, and you're unhappy. Unreasonable expectations will make your whole life miserable. Did you want a change in the case shape? You obviously didn't hear Jobs talking about one of the interesting bonuses of the 3GS's smooth launch: there were already a million cases available, because the phone was the same shape as the 3. Did you expect LTE? Surely you didn't. I'm in one of the AT&T LTE cities, but most people aren't. Apple didn't launch 3G when a few people could get it. They launched 3G when most people could get it, and when the chips were compact and power efficient. Apple never gets pushed into doing things before they're ready. And certainly not by people whose expectations were set by rumors sites. You need to learn to read these kinds of things and keep a proper perspective about what's actually likely and what's not--otherwise you might want to consider eschewing these kinds of sites, because they'll just make you upset. The iPhone 4S is an excellent phone. Outstanding processor, stunning camera, and amazing antenna tech. And as far as that antenna goes, don't stamp your foot too hard demanding they change the case next time. They may have just gone and done something they think is optimal. That antenna trick is pretty neat.

Cheers.

Spot on! IMHO apple may more or less stick to the marvelous design of IP4 for even more than the next year. The design is so far beyond anything on the marked, that they may use their resources to design some entirely new product line.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Agreed- I want Siri with the fringe on top.

It will be available starting October 14th... but only in Oklahoma.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

waambulance?
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:

Exactly. This is exactly like the Nokia case where Nokia tried to use FRAND patent to bludgeon Apple. Apple's response was "we're willing to pay your normal FRAND license fees, but no more". Same thing here.

Nokio tooks those clowns from Apple to court...and guess what...they WON a settlement. Period.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

waambulance?

waambulance can't help there.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

Nokio tooks those clowns from Apple to court...and guess what...they WON a settlement. Period.

You win a judgement. You don't "win" a settlement. A settlement is a decision that is decided to be mutually advantageous, as it spares both parties more legal fees and removes the "chance" element (you never know what a judge will decide if it goes to court).
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Samsung claims the iPhone 4 [S] brutally murdered its room mate the iPhone 4 in Italy, and has the DNA evidence to prove it.