Microsoft's Gates, Disney's Iger & more comment on passing of Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    My heart goes out to his wife and children. Also to the million he inspired. Heaven will be a better place for all of us when we get there.

RIP SPJ You deserve it
  • Reply 22 of 58
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    It's appropriate that the iPhone 4S was the product released before Mr. Jobs passing. The name of the product says it all:

The iphone 4(S)teve
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Steve has left the building. The guy built a ridiculously cool company. Your Mac is the blank canvas to your art. Hard to go back to a life that feeds on viruses, junk show parts and ignorant design....The world needs more people like Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    From John Lasseter and Ed Catmull of Disney/ Pixar

Steve Jobs was an extraordinary visionary, our very dear friend and the guiding light of the Pixar family. He saw the potential of what Pixar could be before the rest of us, and beyond what anyone ever imagined. Steve took a chance on us and believed in our crazy dream of making computer animated films; the one thing he always said was to simply 'make it great.' He is why Pixar turned out the way we did and his strength, integrity and love of life has made us all better people. He will forever be a part of Pixar’s DNA. Our hearts go out to his wife Laurene and their children during this incredibly difficult time.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That one was weird I have to say.

Yeah, but I assume he was just paying respects to Steve. I just didn't get the impression that they ever saw eye-to-eye on anything, but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

That last quote ruined the whole page.

Don't underestimate Arnie or Hollywood. He and the movie industry have driven untold scores of talent from around the world to the USA.

Sure, we look back now with some disdain on those cheesy flicks but American sci-fi has inspired generations around the world and visual design, technology, environmental awareness and so much more can draw their inspiration from Hollywood. Yes, movies have lost their way in the past 10 years but for my Generation X and Y its impact is undeniable.

I was lucky to have a taste of the Californian Dream, whatever it means, it is still a unique experience and something that was the perfect incubator and habitat for someone like Steve. Cherish what you still have in the USA because a lot other things are fading away.

But to step into the SF Bay Area and truly feel I was only limited by my imagination, and with friends, strangers and colleagues never hating on what I thought up, where previously I was ridiculed, was very liberating and life changing.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n2macs View Post

It's appropriate that the iPhone 4S was the product released before Mr. Jobs passing. The name of the product says it all:

The iphone 4(S)teve

F*** me now I'll have to at least stand in line for it as a commemorative gesture even if I don't feel like buying it.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    BTW whoever wrote that for Obama definitely is a long-time Apple user. You can feel it coming through.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    All of them (aside from the ones from Ahnold and Eric Schmidt) are really heartfelt.

The one from Obama said it most clearly to me.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

BTW whoever wrote that for Obama definitely is a long-time Apple user. You can feel it coming through.

Not sure it wasn't Barack himself. He does do speechwriting, and he's been a Mac user for years.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

That last quote ruined the whole page.

Only because your brain forces you to read it in your head in his voice.

When I read Michael Dell's I half-expected him to say "I suppose you were right not to close the company and return the money to the share-holders"
  • Reply 32 of 58
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Michael Dell, huh?

Was it just me or did dell try to make it about micheal dell?

Different leagues.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Only because your brain forces you to read it in your head in his voice.

When I read Michael Dell's I half-expected him to say "I suppose you were right not to close the company and return the money to the share-holders"

It would have been pretty amazing if he had admitted he was wrong. "I made a mistake... sosumi".
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

He touched many industries and many many hearts all over the world.

It's hard to imagine the world had Steve not made his mark in it. would we still be using the command line? Flip phones.... listening to CDs. Having to read a manual to try to understand how our software is supposed to work (I choose my words carefully). A friend of mine summed it up perfectly way back in the 90s, he said if he had to read a manual then he would just uninstall the program instead. Of course we know what hardware he was using.....

I'm sad.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

U.S. President Barack Obama

"…there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented."

Damned if I didn't find out on my iPhone 4!

nvidia2008, I think you're right; an iPhone 4(S)teve may indeed be worth at least a visit to my local Apple Store, and some extra self-control to not buy it. Thanks, n2macs!
  • Reply 36 of 58
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Home is the sailor, home from the sea ... and the hunter home from the hill.

This day has come too fast and its impact far greater on me emotionally than I would have imagined.

I feel like I have lost a close friend ... and not just any close friend, but the rare kind that you keep finding out how great a friend they truly were long after you can no longer tell them.

I had the rare (for me at least) happenstance twice to have received no satisfaction at the local Apple store concerning a problem with an Apple product, only to then write to Mr. Jobs complaining about what I perceived to be an injustice. In both cases, a young lady contacted me from Cupertino, said Mr. Jobs was aware of my problem and wanted to help, and instructed me on what to do to receive satisfaction from Apple. Both times this was followed up by another call from Cupertino a couple of weeks later to confirm that I was happy with the situation.

My most heartfelt sympathy and prayers go out to his family and closest friends at this time of sorrow. The legacy he leaves, however, will enable several generations the world over to experience a measure of joy in a world where such has become increasingly rare.

There is no epitaph I know that fits the purpose in a way that is called for. Although I have always liked the following, I do not offer it as worthy, but would like to parrot Mr. Richardson nevertheless:

"Warm summer sun shine kindly here;

Warm southern wind blow softly here;

Green sod above lie light, lie light -

Goodnight, my friend,

Goodnight, goodnight."

Rest in peace, my most excellent friend, rest in peace.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    I will tell you Steve Jobs had so many Angels around him to help him crossover it was very quick. People think that when you die it's painful. Friends..being on this very Earth is painful compared to where Steve is at now. Ask yourself and look around you! There are no wars in heaven! People do not worry about materialistic things such money in heaven! He achieved his life purpose and mission in life in serving and experiencing for god. However he will be dearly missed. But his legacy will live on.

Love & Light
  • Reply 38 of 58
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    RIP Steve
  • Reply 39 of 58
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    iSad...
  • Reply 40 of 58
    "When I read Michael Dell's I half-expected him to say "I suppose you were right not to close the company and return the money to the share-holders."

Dell was half-right: the money the shareholders spent to buy the stock at the time has indeed been returned to them.

@LighteningKid: Nice turn of phrase.