Microsoft's Gates, Disney's Iger & more comment on passing of Steve Jobs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    I am sad.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Interest in Apple computers spawned a career for me that has laster two decades and going strong. I will miss Steve but I am glad that his vision of technology has touched and inspired so many. We've truly lost an innovator that made the world a better place but I wish him well on his next journey.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    iSad, that's perfect...

Well, fret not people. the vision of SJ lives on. Remember, they (like most tech companies) always work "ahead of the puck". So we'll see SJ's vision living on in products and OS for years to come.

It is too bad he didn't live to see Siri become an OSX thing as well (as a side note I wish you could just call it by name instead of pressing a button) or even the full integration between the computer/Internet world and the Entertainment world (i.e. iTV).

I could really see where he's going with it all...

We will all miss you Steve.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Bill Gates

"I?m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs? death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

But what does the great Apple hater, Steve Ballmer have to say? Where are his condolences?
  • Reply 45 of 58
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Very touching to read.

There is no one like him in the tech industry to lead the revolution on like he did. Maybe Jeff Bezos, we shall see.

Steve could have left his work years ago. I don't believe many would have stayed on with their employer with such a serious illness. Here's to his family for supporting him in the work and field he loved so dearly.

God's speed Steve!
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by publiclee View Post

But what does the great Apple hater, Steve Ballmer have to say? Where are his condolences?

REDMOND, Wash. ? Oct. 5, 2011 ? Statement from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

?I want to express my deepest condolences at the passing of Steve Jobs, one of the founders of our industry and a true visionary. My heart goes out to his family, everyone at Apple and everyone who has been touched by his work.?
  • Reply 47 of 58
    I believe the respect and condolences are very heartfelt.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Bye Mr Jobs.

Even though I never met you, I have always had a deep admiration for your person, for what you created, for your mixture of madness and genius and for inspiring thousands and thousands of people around the world.

I never met you, but when I heard this morning on the radio as I woke up that you have passed away, my heart sank. I just cannot believe it... When you still had so many more things to show us, before you could see one of your big dreams come to live (iCloud).

I am an Apple lover, through and through, but I just feel that Apple will never be the same, it has lost a major part of what Apple was and meant: YOU.

At least I hope that your last few days where happy and without pain, surrounded by your loved ones, and you could pass away with a smile on your face, feeling really proud of what you have created and build, helped others to create, and knowing about the great joy that some many millions of people around the world feel when they open one of those white boxes with a brand new Apple device, or they watch a Pixar movie, etc...., etc..., etc... You deserve a very good rest now.

The World has lost a GENIUS and a GREAT MAN. Rest in peace our old friend.

Eric.

UK
  • Reply 49 of 58
    When I was a child, I was diagnosed with severe learning disabilities. They made it very difficult for me to write and think like my peers. I could not get my ideas onto paper. My first experiences with a computer were games. When I applied them to school work, everything blew up. My first big typed paper was eaten by the IBM machine, I nearly failed 5th grade as a result.

It took me 10 years to learn to deal with my challenges. And a big part of my ability to learn was my Macintosh. I got my first Apple product as a cast-off Apple IIe, but my first Mac came to me in my last year of middle school. Performa 475. To only think what that machine was worth to me. Unlike some of my friends, my computer did not get in the way of my needs, it filled them. I got better grades almost from the day I got it. I could read better on the screen scrolling at my own pace, I could write better, able to edit and fix on the fly, I could review and learn more. Slowly, but surely, I overtook a lot of my friends. I went from fearing school, hating it, to embracing its challenges. I embraced friends I never knew via the Internet. I heard ideas. I expanded. I adapted. I grew because of my Macintosh.

Today, I have three degrees, in History, Education and my Masters in Library Science. Now I'm strongly considering a fourth. I credit them partly to a man who chose to see what others saw as a mere tool as a machine for art, and learning, and the masses. Without my Mac, I would not be here now. I would have been festering in some third-rate education program that would have tracked me into a job I wouldn't have loved.

What Carnegie saw with Steel, and Rockefeller Oil, Steve Jobs saw in Information, and in the computers to carry that information. Like those other men, he build everything around it. Carnegie bought railroads to carry iron and coal, Rockefeller built service stations for cars, and Jobs made Apple Stores and iClouds. Everything to make it work.

And as a result, we live in a better world. Was everything perfect? No. Was he a personable, nice guy? No. Did he get things wrong? Occasionally. But he did good. He made the world better.

Thank you for my Life, Steve, I can't ever thank you. Comfort to your family, peace to your friends and honor to your name. I shall always think of you every time I need to think different. I swear I'll try to live up to it.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Didn't mind Arnold's. At least it was something you could actually believe him saying, and he probably meant it.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by univurshul View Post

Your Mac is the blank canvas to your art.

I don't think anyone has ever said that about a PC.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That one was weird I have to say.

Not really. It goes to show what a true impact Steve had even on the people that didn't believe.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

A very clever and fitting rewording of a classic commercial. This is now my favorite screensaver. Thanks.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

That last quote ruined the whole page.

AGREED!

The Schwarzenegger quote is absolutely stupid. At best it is egocentric and vacuous, but it is also totally ignorant of who he was. I don't think Steve even gave a thought to "the california life!" He was way too busy creating great products and several great companies.

• Reply 55 of 58
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

I can't believe you're gone Steve. It's too soon.

I'd like to say hello to Woz if I can, and I miss Steve Jobs even though I never knew him personally.

Say hi to him on Twitter. Woz is very friendly.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

That last quote ruined the whole page.

No, no it didn't.

But your comment did.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    If you would like to read Lance Armstrong's comments

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/s...hip-steve-jobs

Remember, he also had cancer.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    nah... never mind. I don't have much respect for Steve Ballmer, but this is not the place for it.