Unlocked iPhone 4S coming in November, won't work with CDMA carriers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 125
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Why the hell do you need a credit check for a pre paid contract free phone?

I believe there is a law requiring this.

I needed a credit check when I bought my iPad 2 at an AT&T store. I thought this was ridiculous, as there was no credit involved (and I wasn't signing up for any airtime). They told me they were required by law to do it. They might have been lying, I don't know, but that's what they told me at the store.
  • Reply 82 of 125
    nuttannuttan Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Why the hell do you need a credit check for a pre paid contract free phone?

I so totally agree!!!!!

I am 65. I don't use credit. Pay cash always or debit card..no credit cards for 20 years.

I am tired of all the credit check bs!

As I have viewed it over the years, you will have to have a credit check to:

Get a job.

Rent an apartment.

Activate a cell phone.

Rent equipment, or a car? Sometimes!

Open a bank account? Your SS# anyway...(Patriot ax!)..lol...

Probably others I have not noticed, not applying for many things.

These f***ers are cleaning up! They make money approving people for most everything.

I try to deny them any revenue. May they go out of business? Probably not. As long as

they can get away with it.......I'm pissed always...

May require a credit check...Apple can blow me!
  • Reply 83 of 125
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nuttan View Post

Apple can blow me!

Thanks for completely misunderstanding the point and taking your anger (that really has no reason to exist) out on an entity not responsible for it.
  • Reply 84 of 125
    nuttannuttan Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

I believe there is a law requiring this.

I needed a credit check when I bought my iPad 2 at an AT&T store. I thought this was ridiculous, as there was no credit involved (and I wasn't signing up for any airtime). They told me they were required by law to do it. They might have been lying, I don't know, but that's what they told me at the store.

I bought this iPad 2 at the stroke of 12:05am March 2011. Used my debit card.

There was no credit check involved.

I have not tried to buy any Apple products since then, so I don't know if this has changed?

Activating it on AT$T did not require a credit check. If it had, I would have given it away!

I don't know about today?

Every company is getting anal about everything.

Will be their downfall, as people like me are steadfastly not buying into their bs!

Good luck....lol...
  • Reply 85 of 125
    b1937b1937 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Ok...Im interested in the unlocked iphone 4S because i travel internationally alot.

What i want to know is...if i get an unlocked iphone 4S in November....can i turn it on and use it as a wifi only device for awhile? I'm not travelling overseas until January, but would like to use the iphone to shoot pictures and video with its awesome new 8 megapixel camera, and then upload those pics via wifi to youtube etc. I'd also like to use iMessage and other features via wifi, but i don't want to pop an ATT sim in right now to do so. Not interested in a contract.

Basically i want to know if i can activate/use my iphone 4S as a wifi only device without popping a sim in.

Me too. If a new iTouch is not forthcoming this is what I would like to do if I can.
  • Reply 86 of 125
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b1937 View Post

Me too. If a new iTouch is not forthcoming this is what I would like to do if I can.

Logitech discontinued the iTouch in 2008, so I can't imagine why you're waiting around for a new one.

You should be able to use an iPhone without service if you jailbreak it. Whether the 4S will be jailbroken this side of the year's ending is left to be seen.
  • Reply 87 of 125
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Logitech discontinued the iTouch in 2008, so I can't imagine why you're waiting around for a new one.

Fantastic reply! Gotta love this one. And you took the time to look this info up; can't imagine you know this from the top of your head.
  • Reply 88 of 125
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Actually yes. Verizon will unlock SIM slots for free after a full 30 days of the phone being active on your account. I've done this twice with other world phones.

Excellent thanks for the explanation.
  • Reply 89 of 125
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    So just for clarification, the idea of an 'unlocked' iphone is still a huge joke of which US consumers are at the butt end of. Apple is offering more carrier support outside of the US than than within. Does this not make anyone but me absolutely furious?

The idea of a true pentaband/world phone is not a new or impossible one. What they've given us is nothing more than an unsubsidized AT&T iPhone that you can use outside of the US.
  • Reply 90 of 125
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

So just for clarification, the idea of an 'unlocked' iphone is still a huge joke of which US consumers are at the butt end of. Apple is offering more carrier support outside of the US than than within. Does this not make anyone but me absolutely furious?

The idea of a true pentaband/world phone is not a new or impossible one. What they've given us is nothing more than an unsubsidized AT&T iPhone that you can use outside of the US.

Yup, people have been laughing since the first iPhone only had Edge, and MMS took a long time to come to the US. Most of rest of the world is still wondering what CDMA is and why it's on the iPhone spec sheet... some might think it's some new 4G technology they haven't heard of.

The "joke" goes two ways though, it means that people travelling TO the US can't roam on Verizon and Sprint, hence reducing Verizon and Sprint revenue as well.
  • Reply 91 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup, people have been laughing since the first iPhone only had Edge, and MMS took a long time coming to the US. Most of rest of the world is still wondering what CDMA is and why it's on the iPhone spec sheet, reflecting on if it's some new 4G technology they haven't heard of.

The "joke" goes two ways though, it means that people travelling TO the US can't roam on Verizon and Sprint, hence reducing Verizon and Sprint revenue as well.

It's a sad state of affairs. I'm still not sure if you buy the Verizon or Sprint iPhone if you can use it in Canada's UMTS '3G' for bands that are shared with AT&T or not.

I'm not a fan of calling this a "world mode" phone in the US if it's just going to locked to a specific carrier. I do hope, like with the anonymous location database issue a few months back, that politicians see how hindered the US market is with these locked phones. With CDMA-based networks is understandable but as we move closer to a homogenous LTE network that uses a SIM I hope we'll have a better cellular system for consumers in the near future.

I'd also like to see virtual SIMs come into play but that for another thread.
  • Reply 92 of 125
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Question, why is it that it can work as a world phone, but I can use it on US CDMA (the unlocked version). I'm so lost....
  • Reply 93 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Question, why is it that it can work as a world phone, but I can use it on US CDMA (the unlocked version). I'm so lost....

That's the definition of "world phone".

I'm so lost about what you're trying to say?
  • Reply 94 of 125
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:

That's the definition of "world phone".

I'm so lost about what you're trying to say?

As in is there a way to take the 4S (Let's say, the Sprint version) and unlock it for like ATT. Does it even have a GSM sim card slot?
  • Reply 95 of 125
    Quote:

As in is there a way to take the 4S (Let's say, the Sprint version) and unlock it for like ATT. Does it even have a GSM sim card slot?

So you're just not even bothering to look at Apple's pages about it?

There is ONE phone. ONE hardware for all three carriers.

It's sold locked and unlocked. Eventually, we'll unlock the locked one. No one knows what sorts of carrier-changing restrictions are applied to the hardware of either right now.
  • Reply 96 of 125
    Quote:

So you're just not even bothering to look at Apple's pages about it?

There is ONE phone. ONE hardware for all three carriers.

It's sold locked and unlocked. Eventually, we'll unlock the locked one. No one knows what sorts of carrier-changing restrictions are applied to the hardware of either right now.

I already look at the page....several times actually. I was just wondering if I'd be able to switch providers (from Att...to verizon....to Page Plus!). I'm assuming the unlocked version is for GSM carriers because:

"CDMA available only if iPhone 4S is sold and activated for use on a CDMA network."......apple.com
  • Reply 97 of 125
    Quote:

I'm assuming the unlocked version is for GSM carriers because:

"CDMA available only if iPhone 4S is sold and activated for use on a CDMA network."......apple.com

No, you can buy an unlocked one, get it activated with a CDMA carrier, and then you can pop in any GSM SIM you want to use it around the world/in the U.S. with someone else.

Why it wouldn't work otherwise is beyond me.
  • Reply 98 of 125
    Quote:

No, you can buy an unlocked one, get it activated with a CDMA carrier, and then you can pop in any GSM SIM you want to use it around the world/in the U.S. with someone else.

Why it wouldn't work otherwise is beyond me.

Oh, okay I get it now. I for some reason was think the CDMA carriers we're gonna put some restrictions. Maybe I read it from a tech site though.

But I'm happier now! So now the phone isn't competely useless IF I have to swtich carriers.
  • Reply 99 of 125
    I'm guessing that Apple released the unlocked GSM phone because that is what international customers expect.

The phone also has value in the US until AT&T is able to work out their acquisition of T-Mobile. T-Mobile customers can get the iPhone 4S unlocked and use it now.
  • Reply 100 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottdburnett View Post

I'm guessing that Apple released the unlocked GSM phone because that is what international customers expect.

The phone also has value in the US until AT&T is able to work out their acquisition of T-Mobile. T-Mobile customers can get the iPhone 4S unlocked and use it now.

But it won't use T-Mo's 3G speeds.