Unlocked iPhone 4S coming in November, won't work with CDMA carriers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 125
    I am going to buy an unlocked iphone 4s, but I am wondering how apple says CDMA is not workable? I think Sprint can active CDMA on an unlocked iphone. One possible is apple removed the CDMA model for unlocked one, another is they disabled the firmware for CDMA part.

Currently UK and Canada are selling unlocked phone, will those phone work on CDMA?
  • Reply 102 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by truelies View Post

I think Sprint can active CDMA on an unlocked iPhone.

Good luck.

Quote:

One possible is apple removed the CDMA model for unlocked one

Physically impossible.

Quote:

another is they disabled the firmware for CDMA part.

Which doesn't make much sense, though.
  • Reply 103 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck.

Physically impossible.

Which doesn't make much sense, though.

So what does "The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. " mean? If CDMA is inside, verizon can easily burn service into it. Maybe we need to wait people in China who imported the iphone from uk or Austrilia to test it, China Telecom has CDMA. Seems like a huge amount of unlocked iphone will come there in Oct 18.

If unlocked one have GSM+CDMA, I will sure buy one.
  • Reply 104 of 125
    Quote:

So what does "The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. " mean?

I don't think any of us will know until someone actually takes one to Verizint and asks them to put their service on it.

Quote:

If CDMA is inside, verizon can easily burn service into it.

You sure about that? Then why didn't we see Verizon iPhone 4s being turned into Sprint iPhone 4s back when it was Verizon-exclusive?
  • Reply 105 of 125
    Quote:

So what does "The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. " mean? If CDMA is inside, verizon can easily burn service into it. Maybe we need to wait people in China who imported the iphone from uk or Austrilia to test it, China Telecom has CDMA. Seems like a huge amount of unlocked iphone will come there in Oct 18.

If unlocked one have GSM+CDMA, I will sure buy one.

My understanding is that it means Verizon and Sprint have said no to allowing iPhone 4S' that haven't been specifically bought with Verizon or Sprint service onto their network. So you may call to add your phone to their network, and they may reply 'sure... but only if you sign up to a 24 month commitment'.
  • Reply 106 of 125
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Um....can this access T-Mobile 3G?
  • Reply 107 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Um....can this access T-Mobile 3G?

T-Mobile in the US, no, T-Mobile is other countries, yes.
  • Reply 108 of 125
    I don't understand all this veribiage. I could have SWORN Apple said the same EXACT models are on all carriers. So how the hell does this not work?
  • Reply 109 of 125
    Quote:

I don't understand all this veribiage. I could have SWORN Apple said the same EXACT models are on all carriers. So how the hell does this not work?

For a phone to work on a CDMA network, it has to be registered with the network; i.e., you need to call them and ask them to authenticate your phone on the network. If that supplier has a policy of not allowing certain phones onto their network, even though the phone is unlocked and could work on any network in theory, if they refuse to let you use it, there's nothing you can do about that.
  • Reply 110 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

T-Mobile in the US, no, T-Mobile is other countries, yes.

This damn pisses me off. So basically, I'm buying an unlocked ATT iPhone that virtually only works with....ATT?
  • Reply 111 of 125
    Quote:

This damn pisses me off. So basically, I'm buying an unlocked ATT iPhone that virtually only works with....ATT?

I knew you'd mess it up: It still works with T-Mobile, just not 3G.

And maybe Verizint if they let you add it to their network.

And every GSM network anywhere else on the planet.

You want more networks, write your congressmen.
  • Reply 112 of 125
    Quote:

I knew you'd mess it up: It still works with T-Mobile, just not 3G.

And maybe Verizint if they let you add it to their network.

And every GSM network anywhere else on the planet.

You want more networks, write your congressmen.

You messed up, because I don't know what company Verizint is.

Second, I was refering to the network (3G) as you can see from the context of my previous posts. It's almost useless to use a smartphone without an adequate data connection in this world.

I'm aware that GSM is everywhere. But that does NOT mean that my data will work with that particular brand. I mean, there different 3g bands.

What does the last statement have to do anything?
  • Reply 113 of 125
    Quote:

You messed up, because I don't know what company Verizint is.

And you can't parse out that I'm talking about both national CDMA carriers?

Quote:

Second, I was refering to the network (3G) as you can see from the context of my previous posts. It's almost useless to use a smartphone without an adequate data connection in this world.

Your statement that it only works with AT&T, however, does not lend to this theory, so I felt it was necessary to mention that the iPhone does actually work with T-Mobile, just not data past EDGE.

Quote:

I'm aware that GSM is everywhere. But that does NOT mean that my data will work with that particular brand. I mean, there different 3g bands.

Far as I know, T-Mobile USA's the only carrier to waste their time with the 1700MHz band, so you should be fine anywhere else.

Quote:

What does the last statement have to do anything?

I'll ignore that because there's really no way you could miss its meaning, given that it's relevant to the entire point you're making.
  • Reply 114 of 125
    But it's not relevant because I wasn't talking about a creating a unified 3G network. It will be unified if and when ATT occupies T-Mobile. Even it it was to change, it wouldn't change what is now considering we'd have new phones by then.

We all know that the original iPhone even works on ATT (I'm assuming here) just not with the data. Didn't the CEO of T-Mobile say that 1 million iPhone users are with Magenta?

Fine everywhere else? I'm not talking about the whole world, but North America (USA) where I live. Either you have VZW's network, ATT, Tmobile or Sprints (and a few others here and there).
  • Reply 115 of 125
    Quote:

We all know that the original iPhone even works on ATT (I'm assuming here) just not with the data.

Uh, what? The first-gen iPhone works with data on AT&T. And every other GSM network.

Yeah, he said something like that. That's all five models of iPhone, though.

Quote:

Either you have VZW's network, ATT, Tmobile or Sprints (and a few others here and there).

And now we're back to your original question: Why buy an unlocked iPhone if it only works with three (one) carriers?

Because it also works with T-Mobile. That's why. And if you want more than one cell phone carrier in the future and plans that a human being can actually afford, you'll have to get the government to do something about it.
  • Reply 116 of 125
    Quote:

Uh, what? The first-gen iPhone works with data on AT&T. And every other GSM network.

Yeah, he said something like that. That's all five models of iPhone, though.

And now we're back to your original question: Why buy an unlocked iPhone if it only works with three (one) carriers?

Because it also works with T-Mobile. That's why. And if you want more than one cell phone carrier in the future and plans that a human being can actually afford, you'll have to get the government to do something about it.

1. I meant T-Mobile.

2. But I'm talking about how it does make any sense really because I really only have two carriers to choose from. Unless it's like Page Plus (are they only CDMA?), then that'll be a different case. The freedom IS being unlocked. But due to so many limitiations due to company choices then it's kind of throwing everyone in a catch 22.

I'm simply stating to get the best out of a network (3G speeds and all) then you're kind of stuck with ATT. And you can't even go to Verizon apparently so it's not unlocked for all.

Come to think of it, COULD page plus add the phone? The possiblites...
  • Reply 117 of 125
    Quote:

1. I meant T-Mobile.

2. But I'm talking about how it does make any sense really because I really only have two carriers to choose from. Unless it's like Page Plus (are they only CDMA?), then that'll be a different case. The freedom IS being unlocked. But due to so many limitiations due to company choices then it's kind of throwing everyone in a catch 22.

I'm simply stating to get the best out of a network (3G speeds and all) then you're kind of stuck with ATT. And you can't even go to Verizon apparently so it's not unlocked for all.

Come to think of it, COULD page plus add the phone? The possiblites...

There we go, I gotcha now.

Yeah, it pretty much sucks eggs right now. We used to have Centennial from which to choose, but they were gobbled up by AT&T, too. Two optometrists I know had first-gen iPhones unlocked on Centennial (because we had no AT&T service at all where we live) and when they got absorbed, they just went legit.

They still can't get 3G on either of their phones because AT&T has no 3G here, but they're forced to pay the data plan all the same.
  • Reply 118 of 125
    Quote:

There we go, I gotcha now.

Yeah, it pretty much sucks eggs right now. We used to have Centennial from which to choose, but they were gobbled up by AT&T, too. Two optometrists I know had first-gen iPhones unlocked on Centennial (because we had no AT&T service at all where we live) and when they got absorbed, they just went legit.

They still can't get 3G on either of their phones because AT&T has no 3G here, but they're forced to pay the data plan all the same.

Yeah, I agree.

I think this all stems from the fact that technically all the big carriers were part of the the same company (not sure about T-Mobile). Verizon was spunoff from ATT and so was Sprint. I'm thinking that sort of control is still in the hearts of the companies. We only have 4 major carriers and the smaller carriers depend on THEIR networks (Boost, Virgin, US Cellular, etc.).

I will contact my congress about this issue (though lobbyists are a tough fight). But I don't see anything changing soon. Look at what Verizon is trying to do with net neutrality.

I just want a phone that I can use on any network. They need to fight in terms of prices and networks. Not price gouging.

I feel like it's all one big monopoly (again, going back to the history of the companies/Baby Bells/etc) because have you noticed when one company does something, they ALL do it? Not in a good way either. Oh, let's ALL have data limits! I swear they must sit on each other's Board of Directors.
  • Reply 119 of 125
    Quote:

I feel like it's all one big monopoly (again, going back to the history of the companies/Baby Bells/etc) because have you noticed when one company does something, they ALL do it? Not in a good way either. Oh, let's ALL have data limits! I swear they must sit on each other's Board of Directors.

They've been colluding for decades. The people who are supposed to stop that are being paid off not to. So whachagonnado?
  • Reply 120 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

My understanding is that it means Verizon and Sprint have said no to allowing iPhone 4S' that haven't been specifically bought with Verizon or Sprint service onto their network. So you may call to add your phone to their network, and they may reply 'sure... but only if you sign up to a 24 month commitment'.

Not just in US. apple.uk and apple.ca also said this phone will not work under CDMA, don't know why. I don't believe all CDMA carrier in the world will refuse iphone 4s? uk and canada don't sell locked iphone from the first day.