Apple Board of Directors at 'crossroads' after death of Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Perhaps the worst idea I've heard yet. Zuckerberg understands nothing about Apple culture.

There is a reason Steve and him had one meeting, and one meeting only. He's a prick, and Steve knew it.

And how do we know they had one meeting only? If you believe internet rumors/stories, they have had at least 2 or 3. If you don't believe them, then you have no way of knowing of any meetings unless you were there. If you were there, you wouldn't know if they had more meetings.

In other words, there is no universe in which your claim of one and only one meeting could stand up.

• Reply 82 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I admit up front, I don't know much about business. But what does someone like Al Gore bring to the Apple Board of Directors?

Well, if board members would have a say in such things (don't know if they do), the environment pages on every product of Apple's.

And having a Mac Pro with a PSU 89% efficient is certainly better than a PSU with no consideration therefor.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

I admit up front, I don't know much about business. But what does someone like Al Gore bring to the Apple Board of Directors?

Street creds and influence in political circles and environmentalists. Apple doesn't invest much in lobbying. Gore may be a surrogate lobbyist.

More importantly, smart CEOs recruit friends for the board who support you in good and bad times.
  • Reply 84 of 121
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keyboard View Post

This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Apple is now the most valuable company in the world - but somehow the board needs to mix things up, and start playing a greater role in the running of the company?

A recipe for disaster.

Apple didn't get to where it is due to a meddling, over-involved BOD.

The Board needs to offer all it's support to Tim and his team, and then stand back and refrain from fucking things up.

Perfectly stated
  • Reply 85 of 121
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

....he's completely useless and detracts from the Apple brand. Why this idiot was elected to the board is beyond me. You can count this as one of Steve Jobs' failures.

Given Jobs' track record I would have to respectfully disagree. Plus you didn't even point out why he's a bad fit. Clearly the Apple Stock has been doing well since he's been on the board. So why would they get rid of board members who are doing a good job for their investors?
  • Reply 86 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keyboard View Post

This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Apple is now the most valuable company in the world - but somehow the board needs to mix things up, and start playing a greater role in the running of the company?

A recipe for disaster.

Apple didn't get to where it is due to a meddling, over-involved BOD.

The Board needs to offer all it's support to Tim and his team, and then stand back and refrain from fucking things up.

Agreed

Didnt go to well last time they brought in outsider - Scully

"Healthy Tension" thats what Jobs and Scully had but wasnt too healthy for the company.

Maybe Tim can "Cook" as well as Jobs - Give the man a Chance
  • Reply 87 of 121
    Quote:

Peace from Washington.

Seriously, when you're the most valuable & most profitable game out there, you're going to be in a lot people's cross-hairs.

We can only speculate how many politicians have considered whether Apple needs to be relieved of their "windfall profits".
  • Reply 88 of 121
    Trust Steve. He hand picked Tim Cook. Let Tim run and see what happens. And look...
    A secretive "Apple University" program that the company initiated in 2008 has been clarified to be a way to teach executives to emulate and perpetuate the successful strategies of Steve Jobs.
    Seems like the thinking is to create more Steves rather than more committees. Steve did team. But he managed them and didn't let them get in the way of the vision. And the vision was holistic--it was technology+business.

I can see why they'd not want to "Trust the board" with Al Global Warming Gore there.
  • Reply 89 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newssource View Post

Agreed

Didnt go to well last time they brought in outsider - Scully

"Healthy Tension" thats what Jobs and Scully had but wasnt too healthy for the company.

Maybe Tim can "Cook" as well as Jobs - Give the man a Chance

Actually, the last time Apple brought in an outsider [executive] is when Amelio got Apple to buy NeXT...
  • Reply 90 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, if board members would have a say in such things (don't know if they do), the environment pages on every product of Apple's.

And having a Mac Pro with a PSU 89% efficient is certainly better than a PSU with no consideration therefor.

Honestly, do you really think it took having Al Global Warming Gore on the board for Steve to see the wisdom in that? Gore was there for image, pure and simple. (And as somebody else mentioned, Steve put him there because he'd support Steve.)
  • Reply 91 of 121
    All these industry well wishers for Jobs are bullish***ers!

We all know that Apple is a thorn in the a** of the tech industry. They do their stuff to good. The products work damn near flawlessly. The haters want Apple destroyed so they can sell us crap that has a 72 hour shelf life without having Apple around to serve up a competing product we could carry for a year or more without upgrading.

At the end of the day Wall Street will gut Apple like a fish and it will be the the bloodiest destruction of a company in history.

Unless Apple goes private.
  • Reply 92 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drandel View Post

Trust Steve. He hand picked Tim Cook. Let Tim run and see what happens. And look...
    A secretive "Apple University" program that the company initiated in 2008 has been clarified to be a way to teach executives to emulate and perpetuate the successful strategies of Steve Jobs.
    Seems like the thinking is to create more Steves rather than more committees. Steve did team. But he managed them and didn't let them get in the way of the vision. And the vision was holistic--it was technology+business.

I can see why they'd not want to "Trust the board" with Al Global Warming Gore there.

A decent post ruined by a stupid last-sentence potshot. Take some acid and maybe you'll get it. Maybe.
  • Reply 93 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Honestly, do you really think it took having Al Global Warming Gore on the board for Steve to see the wisdom in that? Gore was there for image, pure and simple. (And as somebody else mentioned, Steve put him there because he'd support Steve.)

Steve already knew it in 1970 thereabouts. Refer to his statements about The Whole Earth Catalog in his commencement speech. Educate yourself about the counterculture in the 60s and 70s. That is one good thing 'baked into Apple's DNA' whether you like it or not.

Edit: John Markoff's book is essential for understanding why our computers are the way they are now. Will you read it? I wonder.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Dormouse-...tt_at_ep_dpt_1
  • Reply 94 of 121
    Quote:

One could ask a similar question about every member of the board.
  • Reply 95 of 121
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Trust Steve. He hand picked Tim Cook....

...I can see why they'd not want to "Trust the board" with Al Global Warming Gore there.

Keep in mind that Al was also hand picked... One of only 7 people in the world that Steve trusted enough to put on the Board.

Regardless of how you feel about his politics, this has to speak for something.
  • Reply 96 of 121

deleted

• Reply 97 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Keep in mind that Al was also hand picked... One of only 7 people in the world that Steve trusted enough to put on the Board.

Regardless of how you feel about his politics, this has to speak for something.

Further, I personally watched how trusted BOD member Art Levinson turned

Genentech into a $100B combine using his own dedication, charisma, and respect

among his propeller-head reports. Levinson is no slouch and indeed groks

the Jobs philosophy.
  • Reply 98 of 121
    ezduzitezduzit Posts: 158member
    apple has no steve jobs anymore, but it still has 5 or 6 (or more) better leaders than most companies will ever have. 'if it's not broke don't fix it'. steve jobs loss was unmeasurable but the new scenario has been long in planning.

more than 7 board members is not in the best interests of apple and its modus operandi. there will always be 1 or 2 who are not perfect but it's not a perfect world. try sitting around a board meeting with 12 or 15 members chiming in. total disarray!

not that he's steve jobs, but does anybody think that jeff bezos has to clear his actions?

finally, imo, there are new apple products in the pipeline that will surprise the competition.
  • Reply 99 of 121
    Quote:

He was vice president of the country during it's most prosperous times in recent decades.

Plus I heard he invented the internet
  • Reply 100 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Why do you open the post with contrariness, only to repeat the points previously made?

Never mind. Your motivations are both off-topic and not important.

If anything, you should appreciate his great great metaphor