AT&T wants Apple to add '4G' indicator to iPhone 4S status bar

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

yes, but is the HSDPA used by the iP4S considered to be HSPA+/4G by ITU?

No. Not even HSPA+ really. Marketing from AT&T is just that. Marketing. 4S is a HSPA device, until someone provides signalling traces or a spec sheet proving it does HSPA+ functionality (signalling and resource usage optimisations) with HSPA speeds (14.4).
  • Reply 62 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

No. Not even HSPA+ really. Marketing from AT&T is just that. Marketing. 4S is a HSPA device, until someone provides signalling traces or a spec sheet proving it does HSPA+ functionality (signalling and resource usage optimisations) with HSPA speeds (14.4).

If AT&T is specifically calling it HSPA+ instead of just saying '4G' and you consider the the liklihood of Apple using the Qualcomm MDM660 baseband hardware then the likelihood of it being HSPA+ as defined by the ITU increases dramatically.
    edit: One AnandTech commenter says he "talked with my local AT&T store, and they said that the new iPhone 4S does not support the newer HSPA+, only HSDPA. […] and the store said that the 4S will not be any faster at all." Not really a great anecdotal answer since it will be faster and the AT&T rep or this forum poster could have misunderstood to mean it won't be faster in his area. One week until we find out.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Or better still - have it display how much money your carrier is sucking out of your bank account.

Or maybe a series of smiley to sad faces.

== "4G" speed

== "3G" speed

\ == "Edge" speed

== Trying to connect

== no service

Nice but I couldn't resist doing this too:

• Reply 64 of 98
    Why can't HSPA+ just be considered 3G+ or something like that? AT&T should pushing to put that on the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

That's the point. ATT may be able to claim their crap network is 4G using the ITU weasel definition, but the iP4S is not.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    Why should Apple have a 4G logo even though it has 4G speeds? Is it 3G? Yes. So, show a 3G logo! Just because it can REACH 4G speeds, the specs say its 3G. So what, next time when they actually have a 4G chip in it but the speeds are twice them, they will want them to call it 5G? If you have a jam doughnut, and put more jam in it, is it classed as a double jam doughnut?
  • Reply 67 of 98
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

How about

4S

4 Steve

Could be. Or for Siri.

But the thing is ... Apple has set a precedent already: In their 2nd form factor release, the 2nd iteration was called 3GS. So, adding "S" could just be affirmation of a tradition. We will get a iP5, then followed by iP5S.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    its all marketing junk. I was most impressed that APPLE will not play this game. Right now I get better UPLOAD speeds on my Verizon 3G than the AT&T broadband connection I have! The DOWNLOAD speeds are opposite.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    Why not most people failing to get iPhone 4S not HSPA+ device Apple never claims it either on their website look at it says UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_4S

Antenna

The iPhone 4S antenna has been slightly changed from the iPhone 4, and can now automatically switch between two antennas to attempt to provide the best signal possible. Download speeds up to 14.4 Mbps on HSDPA wireless networks are supported.[6] However, the download speeds are still lacking when compared to the competition from HTC, Samsung which are using HSPA+.

Marketing people are not that bright so some one may have tried but that not to say it is iPhone 4S is HSPA+ device.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobileuser View Post

Why not most people failing to get iPhone 4S not HSPA+ device Apple never claims it either on their website look at it says UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_4S

Antenna

The iPhone 4S antenna has been slightly changed from the iPhone 4, and can now automatically switch between two antennas to attempt to provide the best signal possible. Download speeds up to 14.4 Mbps on HSDPA wireless networks are supported.[6] However, the download speeds are still lacking when compared to the competition from HTC, Samsung which are using HSPA+.

Marketing people are not that bright so some one may have tried but that not to say it is iPhone 4S is HSPA+ device.

Your odd quote from Wikipedia isn't well sourced. It still unknown if the iPhone 4S has HSPA+ or not. They only thing we can now for certain is that it's 14.4Mbps and that it most likely has the MDM6600 baseband hardware.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    AT&T Marketing BS. iPhone 4S does not connect to a 4G network. Done and done.

Make a real 4G network AT&T and you can get your 4G designation.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Could be. Or for Siri.

But the thing is ... Apple has set a precedent already: In their 2nd form factor release, the 2nd iteration was called 3GS. So, adding "S" could just be affirmation of a tradition. We will get a iP5, then followed by iP5S.

other sites have brought up the same

but in his honor

i just bought two iPhone 4 "steve" editions
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

AT&T Marketing BS. iPhone 4S does not connect to a 4G network. Done and done.

Make a real 4G network AT&T and you can get your 4G designation.

Too late. They're already selling Android devices with "4G* speed" with an asterisk on their website next to a disclaimer about it being implemented with 3G HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. it's all right there in the fine print, so it's nice and legal. Of course, AT&T is lethargically rolling out a 4G LTE network.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    I think they should be able to....and this is a guy coming from an Android on Sprint's network. The issue is that this all started with Sprint. No one is truly 4G. I'm so surpirsed (but impressed) that Apple didn't say it's 4G (but 4G like speeds). Let's just say the iPhone 4S is gonna be faster than the EVO 4G. Seriously though, why shouldn't ATT be able to market it like that? Sprint is saying unlimited data and ATT can say 4G speeds.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Sprint is saying unlimited data and ATT can say 4G speeds.

So instead of stopping some people from illegally marketing their products, we're just going to let EVERYONE illegally market their products.

Okay.
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So instead of stopping some people from illegally marketing their products, we're just going to let EVERYONE illegally market their products.

Okay.

But neither is illegal. I can offer you unlimited milage on a rental car, but still limit you to use that car in town and to a 24 hours period. The unlimited plans are still limited to the duration of your paid contract and for use on a specific device.

With calling something '3G' or '4G' or even '5G' it's wide open unless the carrier or vendor specifically states that their network or device is "'4G' as defined by the ITU" and then fails to deliver on that specification.

Marketing is about making something bad look good and making something good look great, but that doesn't mean you have to lie to do it. It's just like being on a first date. You talk your strengths, you try to avoid your weaknesses, and you use clever and colourful language to describe them when you have no choice. We're all selling something.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay.

Well, in that case I am suing Steve Job's family for all their worth because when I buy an Apple computer....I'm not getting an APPLE!

It's not illegal if it's not defined by the industry. Tell me, by which law are they illegal? I mean, it IS a 4th generation of cellphone service.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your odd quote from Wikipedia isn't well sourced. It still unknown if the iPhone 4S has HSPA+ or not. They only thing we can now for certain is that it's 14.4Mbps and that it most likely has the MDM6600 baseband hardware.

Why is that you think Apple is under state what the iPhone 4S can do by only saying that iPhone 4S I doubt that.

HSPA+ is not 14.4Mbs devices it must be 28Mbs devices

Vodafone is to trial HSPA+, an evolution of today?s radio access HSPA technology, to assess its potential to deliver even higher data rates through the upgrade of existing network equipment.

Vodafone will work alongside Ericsson, Huawei and Qualcomm to trial Release 7 HSPA+ (also known as HSPA Evolution) which has the potential to handle data even more efficiently than today?s HSPA technology.

The initiative will help to establish whether HSPA+ is capable of delivering data throughput rates of up to 28.8 Mbps compared to the 14.4 Mbps maximum offered by today?s HSPA networks. If successful, the technology has the potential to extend the life of today?s HSPA infrastructure still further.

HSPA+ technology is designed to offer higher throughput than HSPA through its use of multiple antennae on both base stations and handsets (Multiple Input Multiple Output) as well as the deployment of a complex modulation technique called 64-QAM HSDPA. Both features will require new advanced devices compliant to 3GPP Release7 standard.

The project builds on early technical assessments that Vodafone has already carried out where the MIMO version of HSPA+ recorded high data throughput rates for users in a simulated urban macrocellular network.

Last year Vodafone launched a 3G broadband service based on High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) with downlink peak rates of up to 7.2Mbps in selected hotspots within some key markets. Vodafone plans to carry out software upgrades to more of these selected hotspots to deliver up to14.4Mbps from the end of the year as part of the existing HSPA roadmap subject to device availability.

?These trials will help us to ascertain whether HSPA+ voice and data capacity enhancements will be able to leverage existing UMTS assets, including radio spectrum, to prolong the lifespan of current UMTS networks still further,? said Steve Pusey, Global CTO of Vodafone. ?It will complement the exploratory work we are carrying out into more long-term next generation wireless technologies such as LTE.?

So even if the ATT have HSPA+ network they can't call iPhone4S HSPA+ that is why ATT Technical department say it won't be faster.

Marketing departments are full of guys with full of it and wanting to use Acronyms not knowing what they means.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post

720P is HD. The difference in 480P and 720P is extreme. 720P and 1080P not so much.

Very true. And iKol should understand that anything higher than Standard Definition is aptly named Higher Definition.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobileuser View Post

HSPA+ is not 14.4Mbs devices it must be 28Mbs devices

As stated and proved many time over you are wrong.