Inside Apple's iPhone 4S: 'S' is for Siri voice recognition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The things I'm hoping Siri does at some point?

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

"Siri, turn down the brightness".

"Siri, turn on bluetooth".

Yup. "turn off ringer and vibrate" because we want our phones on at night to sync wirelessly and to wake us up now that it's easy to set an alarm.
  • Reply 22 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

At which point unless you've got a strong 3G signal Siri will stop working...

Localized (non-Internet) requests would still work.
  • Reply 23 of 140
    I thought the 'S' meant Steve too

Siri could be a game changer for Apple as the Android world will find it difficult to copy it. I could see M$ giving Siri a better for it's money as it's been working on this type of technology for a long time and they exert much more control over their software.
  • Reply 24 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

Those are great ideas! Pretty much a handsfree option for everything in SBSettings on jailbroken iPhones.
  • Reply 25 of 140
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blilly View Post

Localized (non-Internet) requests would still work.

Would they, are you sure? Apple states it needs an internet connection to function.
  • Reply 26 of 140
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    "Siri, what's the best way to jailbreak my iPhone?"
  • Reply 27 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Wow, that Siri is powerful... it will even bing Alicia Keys for you.

Some tasks I think I'd like to reserve for myself, though....

+1. thats a good one. You are so right I don't need MS to mess that up.
  • Reply 28 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Wow, that Siri is powerful... it will even bing Alicia Keys for you.

Some tasks I think I'd like to reserve for myself, though....

And another euphemism is born.
  • Reply 29 of 140
    Quote:

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

I will never understand why people obsess so intensely about having the ability to turn on and off things like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth without having to go to the "extreme" of opening up the standard settings app.

This is also the number one refrain of those who jailbreak their phones when asked for the reason why they do it (to have access to an app that allows quick changes of these settings). Why the f*ck would anyone want to spend all day fiddling with the network settings on their phone, turning them on and off etc. ? Do. Not. Get.

As far as I can see, the only reasonable answer is to save battery life, but I've never met anyone who had any kind of problem with the iPhone battery. It literally almost never runs out. I don't think mine has gone below 60% on any of the three iPhones I've owned, ever.

WTF are all you people doing that burns your battery so much that you have to pain yourselves with turning this crap on and off all day long? Don't you have better things to do with your time?
  • Reply 30 of 140
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

Good ones. BT is too deep in Settings.

I also hope I'll be able to dictate into the search field of third party apps.

Like, "Search Evernote for packing list." Or "Search Dropbox for expense reports"
  • Reply 31 of 140
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Wonder if Apple grows tired of Siri like they did with other things.

Sherlock.

Isync

Pairing you OSX to you mobile phone. When someone called you. The number was shown on the computer screen. Send SMS from the computer via bluetooth/phone

Updating the iPod classic (320 gig drives have existed since 2009 making 640 gig iPod)

Universal binaries. (why remove this? Could have been used to run OSX on ARM)

Rosetta

Iweb

Itools

Having your bookmarks on .mac (great to have your personal web bookmarks that you can access from work)

Photo sharing/groups and all that stuff in MobileMe.

Xserve

Xraid (would be perfect with thunderbolt)

and loads more.
  • Reply 32 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

I thought the 'S' meant Steve too

Siri could be a game changer for Apple as the Android world will find it difficult to copy it. I could see M$ giving Siri a better for it's money as it's been working on this type of technology for a long time and they exert much more control over their software.

I'm no Fandroid but there are already "off handset" translation services for that OS. Doesn't take much to connect those to a search engine and provide an API to do what Apple is doing.

Personal opinion is that Siri is a niche application. Interesting demonstration of technology but niche.
  • Reply 33 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

WTF are all you people doing that burns your battery so much that you have to pain yourselves with turning this crap on and off all day long? Don't you have better things to do with your time?

Making/Receiving Email and making/receiving phone calls? My iPhone 4 lasts until about 15:00 until it needs a recharge. But I agree I'd rather do that than spend time turning wifi etc on/off!
  • Reply 34 of 140
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

I don't think Siri will turn off Wi-fi - it needs to be connected with Apple servers to work ( http://bit.ly/nbVTZ0).
  • Reply 35 of 140
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

locate captain picard ...
  • Reply 36 of 140
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I will never understand why people obsess so intensely about having the ability to turn on and off things like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth without having to go to the "extreme" of opening up the standard settings app.

This is also the number one refrain of those who jailbreak their phones when asked for the reason why they do it (to have access to an app that allows quick changes of these settings). Why the f*ck would anyone want to spend all day fiddling with the network settings on their phone, turning them on and off etc. ? Do. Not. Get.

As far as I can see, the only reasonable answer is to save battery life, but I've never met anyone who had any kind of problem with the iPhone battery. It literally almost never runs out. I don't think mine has gone below 60% on any of the three iPhones I've owned, ever.

The iPhone 4 battery is quite good, possibly best in class. But as for "It literally almost never runs out"? That's quite an exaggeration, with all due respect.
  • Reply 37 of 140
    I hope eventually the GPS Apps out there like Tom Tom are able to access Siri. Or I can see Apple utilizing the Maps App to speak aloud driving directions to you. That would be awesome!
  • Reply 38 of 140
    I wish this worked on my iPad2. I would love to have Siri do task for me. Crap \
  • Reply 39 of 140
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    I just want to be sure it will always open my pod door......
  • Reply 40 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

I wish this worked on my iPad2. I would love to have Siri do task for me. Crap \

Just need to wait until March/April-ish next year