Apple's free iMessage expected to undermine carriers' high-profit SMS business

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    lukeilukei Posts: 385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

And yet BB Messanger was a major driver for BB growth in the consumer space and a huge driver for younger BB users. Don't underestimate how important even a non-universal feature can be. Apple is fast eclipsing BB marketshare...

However with BBM you know someone has a Blackberry because they give you their PIN...With iMessage you don't know whether the message will cost you or not until you have sent it.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    Haven't paid for text messaging in years. Textplus is free and all I need.
  • Reply 83 of 138
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

The point is that you want to sent free text messages to non iOS devices and iMessage cannot do that.

Sure I can. I just email their SMS email address. At least in the US all carriers offer them. I just can't receive texts for free. I could probably route them through Google voice or something, but it's just easier to not deal with SMS at all and email instead. Looking foreword to iMessage!

Quote:

It is also seamless in use because it looks at the address book

Other than the auto lookup across all users I would be shocked if iMessage didn't integrate with the address book!

Quote:

One thing iMessage can do and non of the message apps I know of can, is resuming a conversation on another device. This is an excellent feature and thats why I'll use iMessage along with Whatsapp to be able to communicate with the rest of the world.

Knowing Apple That's probably not the only unique thing . It will be fun to play with it tomorrow!
  • Reply 84 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haydn! View Post

I think you missed the point.

The reference was made to show how much profit network providers make from SMS. They're suggesting that you could send around 7500 standard length SMS messages with 1MB of network data. A MB of data costs just $1.20 (based on the plan they outlined) but sending those 7500 texts at $0.20 would cost $1500.00....

That's effectively $1498.80 profit for every $1500 the networks make from SMS.

You're exactly right. This isn't about someone sending 7500 text messages @ .20 cents per.
  • Reply 85 of 138
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

That doesn't answer my question, which is.

If I am on an iPhone with iOS 5 and someone else is on iOS 4, are messages I send or receive to/from them free? Or do we both have to have iOS 5. Or what?

You can only send iMessages (free) from iOS5 devices to other iOS5 devices. So no, your messages to iOS3 and 4 users will not be free and will use standard SMS.
  • Reply 86 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't see it.

The problem is that many people don't know what phone their contacts are using. So you have to keep both SMS and iMessage handy all the time and there will be times when you choose the wrong one.

Now, if iMessage were so overwhelmingly fantastic that some inconvenience were justified, that would be one thing, but I can't see that it's superior enough to want to mess around with the hassle. Unless it becomes multi platform and catches on significantly, it will be DOA.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

However with BBM you know someone has a Blackberry because they give you their PIN...With iMessage you don't know whether the message will cost you or not until you have sent it.

In contacts it sticks a blue chat bubble next to the iMessage registered number or email address. It also changes from green to blue* if the contact you want to message is registered with iMessage

*The text in the message input field also changes from text message to iMessage.
  • Reply 87 of 138
    Quote:

You text large nubers of people blindly?

I can understand texting unknown people occasionally, but for the bulk of your traffic?

Now if you are an anomaly like texting for business or something OK, but for the vast majority of people it's just not going to be that big of a barrier. Heck, I'm shocked at how many of my friends and family use FaceTime which is far harder to use than iMessage looks like it will be!
  • Reply 88 of 138
    lukeilukei Posts: 385member
    Quote:

You text large nubers of people blindly?

I can understand texting unknown people occasionally, but for the bulk of your traffic?

Now if you are an anomaly like texting for business or something OK, but for the vast majority of people it's just not going to be that big of a barrier. Heck, I'm shocked at how many of my friends and family use FaceTime which is far harder to use than iMessage looks like it will be!

No I don't randomly text people (it's not me sending those spam messages )

The point is even if people do have an iPhone and iOS5 and have iMessage on then if either me or them are not connected to data then I will pay for the message, unless I turn "send as SMS" off. Facetime only works over WiFi so you know the situation, you won't with iMessage

It's not actually an issue for me as the company pays my phone bill .The point is that it is not the replacement for BBM it is being touted as.
  • Reply 89 of 138
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is what it does - not how it works.

I want to know more about how it works. For example, how does iMessage know the other user I'm about to text has iMessage? Can iMessage used mobile numbers? How does it work exactly? The simple facts about it confuse me. Would someone care to clarify iMessage for me?

It works like FaceTime...to my understanding that when you select a contact, you have the option of SMS, phone number or email address. You set up the app with user info like FaceTime. I thinks the iP4s keynote quickly went over that.
  • Reply 90 of 138
    Quote:

The point is that it is not the replacement for BBM it is being touted as.

Sure it is.

1. Turn off SMS

2. Just like BBM, ask them if they use iMessage, and if yes instead if entering a PIN in your contact for them, you set the thing in contacts that indicates iMessage.

It's really no different.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised so many are trying to shit on this - apparently the pundits panning the 4S as a failure and then getting totally embarrassed by the 4S pre orders didn't resonate.

Look, if FaceTime with it's requirements can be as widely used as it I'd, iMessage is going to be a resounding success!
  • Reply 91 of 138
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

I already had the unlimited Data, Minutes and Text, So I talked to AT&T, about dropping Unlimited Minutes to 700 Minutes and all I was going to save was $40.00 a month, plus I call a lot of landlines and they eat up your minutes so not worth it for me.

Wow, saving $40 per month on your cell bill is not worth it? That's about half what my iP4 ATT bill is every month. And I have just basic 350 minutes and unlimited Data, but pay per use texting. I use on average 50 minutes per month of voice. I wish ATT would offer a smaller plan for voice, or a Go-Phone plan.

That's really shocking how some people have these crazy high bills. I can see it for a work phone, but if they are that high and your employer isn't paying the bill, you need to speak up man.
  • Reply 92 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chriscaskey View Post

I keep seeing this every time I open mail, just installed the new Mac OS 10.7.2

Possibly 'message' coming to Lion? Or just something I've missed? Someone may know something..

no, message is nothing to do with iMessage, its the message framework, which is used in Mail. As I posted before:

Your growl mail plugin is out of date. You can download the patcher from growl mail which will allow it to run.

You need the UUID patcher http://code.google.com/p/growlmail/d...r.zip&can=2&q=
  • Reply 93 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Then this will be a small pool of iOS users for at least the first year or so. Texts from my boss will still cost me 20 cents, because he will never replace his iPhone 3G.

Sigh.

Actually it won't be a small pool at all. The total number of iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GSs sold far exceeds the total number of original iPhone and iPhone 3Gs sold. Plus, a large number of the originals and 3G probably don't work any more because of breakage. Plus it'll work on both iPad models. Plus it'll work on all the new iPhonme 4Ss sold from Friday.

I don't know the balance of ipod Touch sales, but I can't imagine it'll tip the scale.

Not a small pool at all.
  • Reply 94 of 138
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Haven't paid for text messaging in years. Textplus is free and all I need.

Is it truly seamless? Are you able to send/receive all SMS and MMS messages free? Do you get regular notifications? Anything you need to do different from the carrier's SMS?

Sounds interesting.
  • Reply 95 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A lot of Blackberry users are running away from RIM. They know that they're on a dead end platform with no future, so they have to make a choice and quite a few of them are ending up on iOS. And especially since Apple has their own message system now, it will be yet another incentive for these people to finally make the jump, because their ship is sinking fast, and they know it too.

Still, if Apple really wanted this to catch on, they should have made an Android and a Blackberry app/client for launch as well. It really should be cross-platform, and Apple has a history of screwing up the adoption of new standards they develop in exactly this manner.

Why do they charge for the Mac FaceTime client for instance? Why isn't there an Android FaceTime app? Why didn't they integrate this into Lion *before* they release it on the phone? Why doesn't FaceTime run on 3G?
  • Reply 96 of 138
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Still, if Apple really wanted this to catch on, they should have made an Android and a Blackberry app/client for launch as well. It really should be cross-platform, and Apple has a history of screwing up the adoption of new standards they develop in exactly this manner.

Why do they charge for the Mac FaceTime client for instance? Why isn't there an Android FaceTime app? Why didn't they integrate this into Lion *before* they release it on the phone? Why doesn't FaceTime run on 3G?

All great questions. Apple does tend to find a way to sabotage the adoption of stuff it claims it wants to be open standards.
  • Reply 97 of 138
    Quote:

1. FaceTime is free with Lion, upgrade to Lion. Don't wanna. buy the App then.

2. iMessage is for iOS devices. If you want it, buy an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, would be their response.
  • Reply 98 of 138
    Quote:

Why do they charge for the Mac FaceTime client for instance?

Accounting rules. Been hashed to death. Results of government regulations at work "helping"

Quote:

Why isn't there an Android FaceTime app?

Product differentiation? Long term strategy? Playing from a position of strength?

I would like to see FaceTime on more platforms, but I do understand why Apple is playing close right now. Esp. with the morass of hardware out there on Android - talk about not being able to ensure a great and consistent user experience. Yow, having realized what I just said - forget it. FaceTime will never be on Android!

Quote:

Why didn't they integrate this into Lion *before* they release it on the phone?

It isn't ready and its more important on the Phone than a computer?

Quote:

Why doesn't FaceTime run on 3G?

Err, it's missing a key peice of hardware - the front facing camera perhaps? The 3GS doesn't have one either - but your right, forget pesky missing hardware - Apple are just jerks for their forced upgrade strategy
  • Reply 99 of 138
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Accounting rules. Been hashed to death. Results of government regulations at work "helping"

If the price of averting another Enron is the occasional 99p app, I'm ok with it. I find it pretty helpful.
  • Reply 100 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

All great questions. Apple does tend to find a way to sabotage the adoption of stuff it claims it wants to be open standards.

Yeah, they totally botched the 3.5" floppy, SIMMS, SCSI, networking, all in one computers, FireWire, USB, OpenGL, WebKit, etc.

Yup - their execution is constantly screwed up