Review roundup: Siri makes Apple's iPhone 4S a worthwhile upgrade

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

Google voice search and/or Vlingo have been around for some time and on my new Galaxy S2 work great. Example: I say "Navigate to nearest CVS Pharmacy" and presto. So far the iPhone does not even have navigation built in. Or "Whats the capital of Austria"? But I am sure Apple managed to polish voice input up a bit and add some bells and whistles.

Presto? Can you say to Google Voice "Launch Infinity Blade II" or "Play Rage"? How about "reboot phone?"
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

All these reviewers say pretty much what I've been saying for a while now. This is going to be a great upgrade for anyone who doesn't have an iPhone 4 already. If you've got an iPhone 4 now, I would recommend hanging on to it until the 5 appears next year.

It will be very cool to see the enhancements made to Siri. iOS updates are going to be more interesting now as I'm guessing that many of the incremental updates will tie in more and more apps to Siri.

I'll take your recommendation under advisement. As an amateur photographer and a cyclist, I frequently publish photos from my various rides. The improved camera will make this much better. As a psychotherapist who lives and dies by the calendar, Siri will save many valuable minutes in my day. And I am a gamer so the graphics and processing upgrades will make that much more fun.

I sold my iPhone 4 for the same amount I bought it for and ordered the 32gb 4s. It cost me nothing more than the initial investment in the 4.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

They have video evidence of a single finger bridging the gap causing significant signal loss.

Was it severely blown out of proportion? Yes. But the death finger touch was not the same as the choke holds and unnatural hand placements shown on the videos Apple offered as some sort of odd rebuttal.

Funny is they also slyly mentioned a I believe 300% dropped call increase (from like 1% to 3%)

The newer antenna I believe fixes the issue but to deny it ever existed even if overblown is disingenuous.

You don't know any better that it was a major issue because all you ever read were media reports. You would need access to polling data of many many users to say it was a huge issue. For all we knew it could have been a story perpetrated by Google, Samsung, Microsoft etc. to take the wind out of Apple's sails/sales. Certainly the media isn't going to go to great lengths to vet any anti-Apple story.

I believe Apple when they say the issue was overblown because in the end, as a user, it didn't matter, because I never had a problem. I suppose as a shareholder I might care if it were a widespread issue, but Apple addressed the issue and the stock price didn't suffer.

So why do you and Techguy care so much?
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

You don't know any better that it was a major issue because all you ever read were media reports. You would need access to polling data of many many users to say it was a huge issue. For all we knew it could have been a story perpetrated by Google, Samsung, Microsoft etc. to take the wind out of Apple's sails/sales. Certainly the media isn't going to go to great lengths to vet any anti-Apple story.

I believe Apple when they say the issue was overblown because in the end, as a user, it didn't matter, because I never had a problem. I suppose as a shareholder I might care if it were a widespread issue, but Apple addressed the issue and the stock price didn't suffer.

So why do you and Techguy care so much?

I'm sure some Apple user reported it, then some overzealous Android fan or anti-Apple troll made it seem like the end of the world and the blogs followed suit.

All that being likely doesn't stop the fact that the iPhone 4 was far too easily detuned. The fact that a finger could cause a massive loss of bars akin to a pair of huge hands choking a Nexus one is an issue. Big? No. Existent? Yes.

In high signal areas no loss would be observed (the way the phone reads bars) in lower signal areas signal could be diminished greatly.

If this was last year I could find the articles and charts etc. But quite frankly I don't care. Lol. I was just saying that it did exist.

------------------------

Regarding Siri, Google can come out with their own version and not violate any IP due to the fact that there is no way Apple holds the rights to voice control. Google has a similar app already (though lesser) and vlingo exists in the market.

Other examples exist elsewhere also.

Undoubtedly people will call then copycats and whatnot but that'd never be true.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

All that being likely doesn't stop the fact that the iPhone 4 was far too easily detuned. The fact that a finger could cause a massive loss of bars akin to a pair of huge hands choking a Nexus one is an issue. Big? No. Existent? Yes.

In high signal areas no loss would be observed (the way the phone reads bars) in lower signal areas signal could be diminished greatly.

If this was last year I could find the articles and charts etc. But quite frankly I don't care. Lol. I was just saying that it did exist.

Thank you for the incomplete history report. No one denies that the iPhone 4 could be affected by attenuation. The issue was largely one of perception, because people judged the signal loss according to the bars shown. The original iOS release had mapped signal to bars in a very non-linear fashion, as reported by several websites at the time. The software update mapped it more evenly. The result for most people was that you'd see only 1 bar dropped where before it might have shown 3-4 bars dropped.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Thank you for the incomplete history report. No one denies that the iPhone 4 could be affected by attenuation. The issue was largely one of perception, because people judged the signal loss according to the bars shown. The original iOS release had mapped signal to bars in a very non-linear fashion, as reported by several websites at the time. The software update mapped it more evenly. The result for most people was that you'd see only 1 bar dropped where before it might have shown 3-4 bars dropped.

If you don't disagree with me at all why are we arguing?
  • Reply 47 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

It's also undeniably true and widely reported (here, for instance) that HTC phones are particularly susceptible to signal attenuation when held, to the point of dropping calls.

Yet you never see people grimly hanging on to the idea that HTC phones are "grip of death" phones or demanding to know if its "been fixed."

The difference? Apple makes a nice click bait target of controversy, HTC does not.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Look, I'm not looking to rehash this all over again too, but what you're saying doesn't explain why I could walk into any and every corner of my house with my original iPhone and my 3GS and have no problem holding onto a call. But I cannot with my iPhone 4. If I want to hold onto a call, I have to go upstairs in my loft, and not move. Also 2 of my friends with 3GS phones can come over to my house and can carry on phone conversations, walking all over the house with no problem. The iPhone 4 antennae does have a problem in low signal areas that the previous ones did not. At least that is my experience.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Presto? Can you say to Google Voice "Launch Infinity Blade II" or "Play Rage"? How about "reboot phone?"

Google Voice Search* and I dunno about that.

But it works on vlingo (the launch app part) I don't think reboot works as that normally requires root permissions.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Although now that Steve is dead and gone[/url]

troll be gone.... dunno why I waited so long to plunk you....
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Has everyone forgotten about this already, all these reviews and not one mention of the grip issue? Does the 4S lose signal by gripping without a bumper or not?

One of the reviews - Macowrld? - pointed out that now the only way you can emulate the "grip of death" is if you do a two handed grip with both ends of the phone. It appears the new antennas work!

Not that I have any problems with the iPhone 4 - but I guess if you are one of the few that happens to handle their phone in just the wrong way the iPhone 4S will save you from yourself.

Unless you are prone to gripping your phone with two hands
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The really big question for me is how much of a lead has Apple over all those that will be hard at work trying to copy Siri at this very moment? In the coming months Siri is going to be the single biggest reason many will move to an iPhone 4s.

It's going to take them a while. I was re-watching the All Things D conference interview of Jobs and around the 30 minute mark he explains Siri. They bought it for the AI.

BTW - I highly recommend everyone watch that interview. It's fascinating, and you can see everything he's talking about being realized today - less than a year and a half later.

Truly a visionary and a passionate person dedicated to, as he often repeats, making the best products that they can.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

regardless, this article should say Siri makes iOS 5 a worthwhile upgrade. not the iPhone 4S.

Siri only runs on the 4S and the 4S only runs iOS 5, so the 4S is what is relevant, not iOS 5.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Denying that there was ever any problem with the iPhone 4 or claiming that it's the same for all phones is sticking your head in the sand

No it's not. The problem was overblown and does affect all phones.

Well, except for the iPhone 4S - their dual antenna design seems to have "fixed" it. It will be interesting to see if CR reverses themselves, or starts criticizing the rest of the industry

Quote:

Since Walt and other reviewers confirmed the issue last year, they should now try again and provide new observations. When I said 100% gone, I don't mean 0 signal loss, I mean that there is not enough of a difference to warrant putting a bumper on the phone, which is something that other phones don't need.

My iPhone 4 has been naked from day one and performs far better than my 3GS. My experience is hardly alone - "fatally flawed" phones don't ship in the numbers of the iPhone 4 (and the continued record sales, even with the 4S)

Quote:

If anything, I just want them to help Apple by commenting that bumpers are not needed anymore.

Like you would listen anyway?
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And why this strikes you as an occasion to indulge in a little Steve bashing eludes me.

he's an ass?
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The difference? Apple makes a nice click bait target of controversy, HTC does not.

Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner!

A bunch of jealous hacks too proud (or embarrassed) they are getting out-innovated...
  • Reply 57 of 57
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Who wants to bet that the competition suddenly drops everything and begins developing similar AI software for their phones.