Celebrities, CEOs & a former president attended Steve Jobs memorial

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Would people get real? Business life isn't like a movie where people hate each other and sit in big domes plotting World domination. Yes firms throw out statements about their competition, some of which can be very personal where a personality is key to the business image.

But outside of work unless there has been some one to one personal affront then people are just people. I go out socially with my competitors and we just don't talk business except for market observations.

That people are 'upset' at who attends this event is actually an insult to Steve Jobs and his family.

Think about it.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    A lot of small minded pettiness going on about who attended the memorial. What are you guys, twelve year old girls? In business, nothing is personal. And even if it gets personal sometimes, you still pay your respects if you're even half way human.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Pixar

He's the Chief Creative Officer of Disney Animation. He brought back the Ink and Paint department.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Mostly elitest scum on that list. Shame.

So who should have been invited. You?

This is a partial list and they're all people who've had some direct association with Steve. We don't know who else was there.

'Elitist' is now just a word thrown out by those among us who want to get stupid people elected to high office. Who then proceed to protect the interests of the very, very rich. Get a clue. Guess who are the people behind the scenes who fund all these efforts to tar and feather America's so-called 'elites'.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    So is there a video of the event?
  • Reply 26 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

why are people asking why X person attended?

So what if things were said in public in the spirit of business competition.

Doesnt stop people being friends outside of this and having respect for eachother

Thats whats wrong with most of you these days. No Respect and cant separate aspects of lives.

Just because they compete with eachother healthily in public, doesnt mean that they cant meet for a coffee after and share a laugh

you expect them to be mortal enemies and "hate" eachother. Get a grip. They probably meet and laugh at how they play you fools against each other like a fiddle. I know I would.

ah crap, i'm just cranky because he is gone. ignore me.

Well, luckily we have someone like you to point out the errors of our ways.

The reason some names on the invite list raise eyebrows is that these people represent values that so differ from what we see as Apple's values, in terms of style, design, management, business model, and also attitude towards their customer base. In terms of the individuals here I don't think any of us have much of a clue.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

A lot of small minded pettiness going on about who attended the memorial. What are you guys, twelve year old girls? In business, nothing is personal. And even if it gets personal sometimes, you still pay your respects if you're even half way human.

Sound like a scene from the Godfather
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

AI left out one especially interesting name from that list:

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...101700661.html

That doesn't help the Us versus Them mentality prevalent on AI
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I can not believe that the snake(s) in the grass from Google would have the nerve to show up. It is one thing to compete, but another to pretend to be a friend and then double cross.

hey guy...how are you?

I was wondering...do you have any evidence of them pretending to be Steve Job's friend and then double crossing him?

I'll be waiting.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, luckily we have someone like you to point out the errors of our ways.

The reason some names on the invite list raise eyebrows is that these people represent values that so differ from what we see as Apple's values, in terms of style, design, management, business model, and also attitude towards their customer base. In terms of the individuals here I don't think any of us have much of a clue.

Hey guy...how are you?

I was curious, do you have friends? I'm going to assume yes, as I'm going to assume you are a functional social human being.

Now that that is out the way...do you and your friends hold the same views on everything?

I'm going to give you a personal example.

One of my best friends, is a fundamentalist Christian libertarian.

I am a damn near militant atheist liberal.

We get along fine though often we get into very heated arguments.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'm going to give you a personal example.

One of my best friends...

One

of my best friends
  • Reply 32 of 53
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    and MAYBE, some were there but not on the list?

Maybe some decided NOT to show up, out of RESPECT? It was for Steve, and maybe some choose to not be there, for what they might have thought, was going to be some what of a media circus?

And yes, maybe they were there and just not mentioned ? yet.

Skip
  • Reply 33 of 53
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Every time I read something like this I get a jolt as I keep blocking out that Steve is gone and I am suddenly forced to recognize the truth.

Re Dell: Is there something we are missing regarding his apparent self injection into all of this? Was he secretly a great friend of Steve and we didn't know? I find it hard to believe the organizers would allow him in without there being some connection beyond self publicity. Or maybe anyone could go.

I find it unbelievable that Dell would just show up. Surely he would have been invited by Apple management or the family of Steve.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

That doesn't help the Us versus Them mentality prevalent on AI

Gives many of the members of the 4000 Club the chance to meet and network, btw there are other names for them CFR, Bilderburg, etc depending on which conspiracy theory you like. I prefer to call it the rich most influential networking group. You people actually believe there is competiton in business! interesting dellusion but that's another thread
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You do understand the ceremony was invite only, right? So, somebody at Apple invited the guy. I wonder why. Perhaps, Jobs and Dell got along OK. Dell was one of the first people to publicly repay respect to Jobs.

Further, that whole comment where Dell said he would shut Apple down and give the money back to shareholders was 1) taken out of context, and 2) somewhat understandable coming from a competitor and considering Apple's dire financial circumstances.

Finally, competitors who sometimes are friends often times say things publicly in the context of computing, but that doesn't undermine their personal relationship. Haven't you ever heard an opposing team that they might as well not even show up?

This underscores the importance of remaining skeptical of the many "facts" that we accept truths in the blogosphere purely because we want to believe them and they are repeated so often.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

as much as i like to see so many people attend, gtfo micheal dell. Your obviously there as a publicity stunt. I would not want someone i hate attending my funeral for sure

I doubt that. Rich people tend to have other rich people friends. Even if they are from different companies.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Every time I read something like this I get a jolt as I keep blocking out that Steve is gone and I am suddenly forced to recognize the truth.

Re Dell: Is there something we are missing regarding his apparent self injection into all of this? Was he secretly a great friend of Steve and we didn't know? I find it hard to believe the organizers would allow him in without there being some connection beyond self publicity. Or maybe anyone could go.

This was an invitation only affair. If Dell was present, he had been invited.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Exactly.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Gives many of the members of the 4000 Club the chance to meet and network, btw there are other names for them CFR, Bilderburg, etc depending on which conspiracy theory you like. I prefer to call it the rich most influential networking group. You people actually believe there is competiton in business! interesting dellusion but that's another thread

I think it is richly ironic that you complain and moan about the unseen powers of the world who control your fate, while slavishly buying their products and obsessing over what they will do next.

The reality of things are, I think, a little simpler: in life there are people who do something and people who do not. People who do nothing perceive the abilities and contribuitions of those who do as both a threat and as a form of control, and in a sense that's true: when all you do is live in a world entirely constructed by the work and contributions of others, you really are controlled by them. That doesn't mean controlling your destiny is what they set out to do, however; your lack of control is a symptom of your inaction.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

The biggest whole in this list is Woz, Andy Hertzfeld, Bill Atkinson, Burrell, Capps, etc. the original Mac team. The omission of one or two of these is understandable but to see none of them makes me wonder about this acknowledged "partial" list.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the average reporter has no idea who Bill Atkinson is.

They very well may have been there but it was not reported.