Celebrities, CEOs & a former president attended Steve Jobs memorial

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    While I think having respect for Steve is important I think it's also important to remember that memorial services are for the living. Particularly his family. The departed either don't care anymore or have gained a heavenly understanding, depending on your point of view. Some of the names on the list raised an eyebrow for me but oh well. My thoughts are with his family. When a person close to you passes away it's common to see things all around us that remind us of them. Steve's face is everywhere right now and you can't turn on the tv surf the web or listen to the radio without either hearing about him or seeing one of his creations. Got to be tough.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Those are all people Apple and the Jobs family decided to invite.

"Elitist scum"? Really? Care to elaborate?

On second thought, don't bother.

Jonny Ive wasn't invited?????

What a slap in the face.

The guy was close to Steve and brought his visions to life in hardware form. The one man who was seen personally around Steve was Jonny and he is largely responsible for the "curb appeal" of apple's products, which are universally seen as the best deisgns in the industry - even when they are five years old. Then the new ones come out and set the timeless bar again.

He should have been invited more than any of the people on that list.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I think it is richly ironic that you complain and moan about the unseen powers of the world who control your fate, while slavishly buying their products and obsessing over what they will do next.

The reality of things are, I think, a little simpler: in life there are people who do something and people who do not. People who do nothing perceive the abilities and contribuitions of those who do as both a threat and as a form of control, and in a sense that's true: when all you do is live in a world entirely constructed by the work and contributions of others, you really are controlled by them. That doesn't mean controlling your destiny is what they set out to do, however; your lack of control is a symptom of your inaction.

Tell that trash to the Jews at Holocaust. Or the original slaves of Africa.

It isn't inaction that is always the culprit. Sometimes there are just more of them then there are of you. And they have bigger guns.

Sommon sense man. don't get all bent out of shape because some people have a difference of opinion with you over the moral decline of our leaders. It is what it is.

There are many of us who take action and sacrifice to do so. That doesn't guarantee a win.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Difference between "all" and "all the".
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

One

of my best friends

How exactly does that not make sense? (Which seems to be what you're implying)
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

What a slap in the face.

The guy was close to Steve and brought his visions to life in hardware form. The one man who was seen personally around Steve was Jonny and he is largely responsible for the "curb appeal" of apple's products, which are universally seen as the best deisgns in the industry - even when they are five years old. Then the new ones come out and set the timeless bar again.

He should have been invited more than any of the people on that list.

That wasn't the complete guest list. We will probably never know exactly who attended. Perhaps Jonny was invited and decided not to attend. Perhaps he attended the family's private service on Friday the 7th and thought that was enough. Perhaps he was there but the reporter didn't recognize him. After all, Jonny Ive maintains a low profile.

It was a private memorial, we're not entitled to know the details of the event.

Oh, and you're not entitled to judge who should or shouldn't have been invited. It wasn't your event.

Update: Unsurprisingly, Jonny Ive was at the Sunday memorial service.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pc repair View Post

That's a lot of celebrities on that list, but Bono was there? Weren't they at Bill Clinton's party, too. Wow, Bono and U2 are still going after alll these years!

Still going to parties, at least.

Thompson
  • Reply 48 of 53
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple still sells the RED iPod. People might also remember Dell at one time sold Apple's iPod. I am sure that was made possible by Jobs and Dell talking, perhaps even developing a relationship.

I think you confuse HP with Dell regarding the iPod, HP really did sell the iPod (under Carly Fiorina). I cannot remember Dell doing the same, I think Dell only tried their own HD-based music player.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    I get the feeling people are jealous THEY didn't get invited to the memorial service...with their years of extolling the virtues of Apple, the cash spent on stock and helping the profit line of Apple, the fighting the good fight of Apple! They should of been invited before Michael Dell...or that Samsung guy!

Who cares who the family invited. Let's mourn the loss of one of the greatest tech innovators /motivators (if not greatest) of our time in peace.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I get the feeling people are jealous THEY didn't get invited to the memorial service...with their years of extolling the virtues of Apple, the cash spent on stock and helping the profit line of Apple, the fighting the good fight of Apple! They should of been invited before Michael Dell...or that Samsung guy!

Who cares who the family invited. Let's mourn the loss of one of the greatest tech innovators /motivators (if not greatest) of our time in peace.

Of our time? Most definitely the greatest. Hell probably of the last 100 years at least.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Nor either surviving Beatle?

\
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That wasn't the complete guest list. We will probably never know exactly who attended. Perhaps Jonny was invited and decided not to attend. Perhaps he attended the family's private service on Friday the 7th and thought that was enough. Perhaps he was there but the reporter didn't recognize him. After all, Jonny Ive maintains a low profile.

It was a private memorial, we're not entitled to know the details of the event.

Oh, and you're not entitled to judge who should or shouldn't have been invited. It wasn't your event.

Update: Unsurprisingly, Jonny Ive was at the Sunday memorial service.

going by the info available at the time, it seemed that if tim cook was mentioned, obviously Ive would be too. and he wasn't then. I later read that Ive was there. and that is right.

Did I overreact? Possibly. But if he wasn't invited, it would be a travesty. Glad to know he was.

And speaking of entitlement, you are not entitled to judge me or to tell me what I am or am not entitled to. by the way, I felt entitled to tell you so...