Friends, family & colleagues of Steve Jobs spoke at 'moving' memorial

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

If SJ's really wanted something secular, they would have done a memorial service at Apple's headquarters or the like, not a place of worship. The main photo of the church tells it all.

Steve probably picked it because it's a beautiful venue and the acoustics are awesome. I've attended concerts there.

Also, it's easier to enforce security on a private university campus than it is elsewhere which gives the mourners more privacy. And we know that Steve was all about privacy.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:

... the memorial service was held (thankfully) at a Christian site ...

what?

Quote:

... since Laurene and the kids must somehow follow that faith.

again WTF?

Maybe you are just not communicating well but I find this highly offensive.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Could be he was agnostic....

I tend to think not. Seems too indecisive for Jobs' style. I personally think he was an atheist, with a strong Buddhist philosophical influence.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Is there a video of the event?
  • Reply 25 of 80
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Steve described himself as a Buddhist, but didn't follow all the doctrine and dogmatic B.S.

Steve was so hands-on, he probably drew up the plans for his memorial service, decided how he wanted to be buried, etc. Heck, he probably personally selected the people on the guest list, picked who he wanted to speak, who would cater the reception, and almost everything about each of the events.

My guess is that he left instructions for dozens, possibly hundreds of other topics. His kids' education. His wife's future, including the possibility that she might remarry someday. What to do with the Jackling Estate property (there's probably a complete set of blueprints). How he would like to be remembered in future events (both Apple related and private things like family weddings). Charitable contributions, perhaps done anonymously which would continue Steve and Laurene's intense preference to privacy.

You and your lame ass speculations aren't worth shit!
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Is there a video of the event?

My guess is there is and the Jobs family will control distribution. It will probably be sent to the attendees and people on the guest list who were unable to attend the private ceremony.

Note that Steve and Laurene Jobs have been very private people and limited public access to their personal lives.

It would be totally out of character if the family released a public video of a private, invitation-only event.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Well, he was surely raised as a Protestant Christian by his foster parents, but probably chose the path of Zen Budo et al at a later stage for self-enlightenment purposes.

Unlikely. That was something that was cool to do in the late 60s, early 70s. Being in a business such as Apple and also being a true Buddhist are probably mutually exclusive. From what little we have learned about what it was like working for Jobs it seems likely that he did not exactly follow the guidelines or principles.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

what?

again WTF?

Maybe you are just not communicating well but I find this highly offensive.

Highly offensive to whom?

So now I am required to withhold my faith just because you are an atheist? I am talking about them, not you - so if you are not one of them, you have no right to feel offended; I am just expressing my views.

Chill out, Sir.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:

Highly offensive to whom?

So now I am required to withhold my faith just because you are an atheist? I am talking about them, not you - so if you are not one of them, you have no right to feel offended; I am just expressing my views. ....

No.

You strongly indicated that there was something wrong with not being Christian (twice!).

If someone did the same to you, you would no doubt be similarly offended.

At least with me I'm operating within the principles I believe in, whereas you are violating the very Christian principles you claim to believe in by looking down on the non-believers.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The reason for the `Church' centers around availability of space to hold a service. People read far too much into it.

Yup.

I'm neither Catholic nor Christian, but if I could have my send-off in Notre Dame Cathedral, I'd do it in a second.

The Stanford facility is beautiful, regardless of the team you think you're on.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I tend to think not. Seems too indecisive for Jobs' style...

Perfect!
  • Reply 32 of 80
    Quote:

Non-theist is the most accurate description.

Atheism is based on reason and logic.

Buddhism (no offence to Buddhists), still has a lot of mysticism/ritual in it and in many places the Buddha himself is revered as a god.

Karma for instance is an irrational, magical concept.

Karma is actually the Law of Cause and Effect. Where the mysticism comes into it is the artificial construct of magnification of one action causing a threefold return of action, without any scientific validation of such a result.

If you punch me the odds are I'll deck you beck. Whether I knock you out and then two other actions come along to counter your initial action is not something one can scientifically verify will happen.

The initial cause may have your perceived original effect, but you have no control over the effect(s) resulting in your causal action.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Buddhists are atheists (well, at least non-theists)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

Don't just quote the URL! Please read the whole Wikipedia section.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yup.

I'm neither Catholic nor Christian, but if I could have my send-off in Notre Dame Cathedral, I'd do it in a second.

The Stanford facility is beautiful, regardless of the team you think you're on.

Agreed and yes, being in a place that would create a sense of Ritual and impress upon a memory of the one you loved can never be misconstrued [by my position as an Agnostic] as being nothing more than a moment of connection between the deceased and those that loved them.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I would have assumed Jobs would have had a Buddhist ceremony, but I'm not 100% sure if he even was one. He certainly did not sound like a "Christian"... he sounded more like an atheist.

Most intellectuals are atheists, so it's surprising to think Steve might have believed in magic and the like. I suspect he was more interested in the meditation and calm aspects of budhism rather than any illogical belief in super powers and fairy tales.

Whatever he believed in though, holding a christian ceremony with all the unpleasant baggage that entails seems a perverse and disrespectful way to see him off.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Buddhism has it's fountain of knowledge from Hinduism.

How anyone can classify it as Atheism truly seems to miss the roots of it's origin.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:

I think you are reading a lot in there.

Also, it's much easier to read into your comments the fact that you seem to think there is something "wrong" with being an atheist.

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

There's nothing wrong with atheism. It's not a disease, it's the triumph of reason over superstition. I would maintain that there is more to admire about atheists than non-atheists.

Yes, I see your point. But, Atheism always had negative connotation - which was sort of demonstrated by the original comment. By the way, Now you would claim that Devil-worshipping is okay too - They believe in some religion.

Anyway, don't want this blog to turn into non-sensical religious debate - especially when the topic is about Steve's memorial!
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I have been following Steve Jobs since 1978 and feel so sad. What a huge loss to the world. Each day since October 5th feels like a bad dream that never ends. I still can hardly believe he's gone.

Thanks for the sentiment, it expresses exactly how I feel.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    All my Apple devices are haunted by his spirit. \
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Karma is actually the Law of Cause and Effect. Where the mysticism comes into it is the artificial construct of magnification of one action causing a threefold return of action, without any scientific validation of such a result.

If you punch me the odds are I'll deck you beck. Whether I knock you out and then two other actions come along to counter your initial action is not something one can scientifically verify will happen.

The initial cause may have your perceived original effect, but you have no control over the effect(s) resulting in your causal action.

I think people are getting way out of their field of expertise here.

FWIW, Karma is not a cosmic system of justice, but simply translates to your own 'doing'.

There is nothing but a single, unified existence in which we're all 'god' playing a multitude of parts in a cosmic game of hide and seek. If we are all god, then anything you do, you're doing to yourself.

Its been corrupted to mean cosmic payback.