Rumor: Apple shipped 13M iPads in Q3, short of internal forecasts

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If Apple comes out with the independant consensus average the stock is going to skyrocket to 500$. Funny thing is those guys have the best ranking.

Lol. $500? Maybe in January bud.

FWIW, I hope you are correct, I really do. But I think by 10:30AM EST tomorrow I'll be happy/lucky to see $450.

But here's rooting for $500.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What really strikes me, is the 5.7Mio non iPad's, and yet I haven't seen a single one in the wild. In my region, they are sitting on shelfs collecting dust layers

Where do you live? I wouldn't call my city affluent, yet I can't walk into a coffee shop without seeing 1-2 iPads - or bookstore, bus, airport, anywhere for that matter.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Where do you live? I wouldn't call my city affluent, yet I can't walk into a coffee shop without seeing 1-2 iPads - or bookstore, bus, airport, anywhere for that matter.

He said non-iPads.

And I agree, the "shipment" market share numbers are GROSSLY misleading with regards to the Tablet space.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If Apple comes out with the independant consensus average the stock is going to skyrocket to 500$. Funny thing is those guys have the best ranking.

The independent analysts are typically closer to the mark for a reason: they are not responsible to clients. The institutional analysts are providing advice to clients, so they are deliberately conservative in their forecasts. It's not as attractive a reason as the tried and untrue stock manipulation conspiracy theories, but it does have the advantage of accuracy (for those who care about such things).

I dropped my crystal ball and broke it years ago, so I don't make forecasts on future stock prices. The only prediction I make every quarter is that investors will expect to Apple to beat the street by at least 10%, because know that the institutional analysts will be low. Anything less than that will be seen as a disappointment.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Yup -- I know.

But my hope/expectation was for 15 million or more, and so anything less than that would be, by definition, a disappointment. It's not a big disappointment. It doesn't mean that Apple isn't the undisputed champion of the tablet market. And it says virtually nothing about their future prospects. But nevertheless, I would be disappointed.

Some people seem to have an allergic reaction to anything other than total adulation for every single news story about Apple. Is it really so hard to understand that I could be slightly disappointed while at the same time thinking that Apple's future is incredibly bright and recognizing that this short term disappointment doesn't matter much longer term? Is that level of nuance totally beyond the comprehension of internet forum commenters? (ok, I'm starting to ask dumb questions now, I guess).

A tad defensive? I just find it hard to understand how anyone could be disappointed by 250% YoY growth. YMMV.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woodbine View Post

in a challenged economy, where savings are being eroded, salaries are stagnating and unemployment is so high, I do wonder how many more people take on board the attitude "do I want this or do I need this".

I do believe the ipad is a want not a need and therefore it's penetration into the masses will be limited.

Sorry if this is a bit negative, but I do see the ipad this way for myself, I'd love one, but I don't actually need one (my MBP does sterling work).

judging from my lower income friends iPads are providing computational life-support for a lot of families. They keep their old computer, buy an iPad, gain/regain some speed, functionality and much needed convenience. In weak economies people buy things that have higher perceived functionality and value. The average consumer doesn't need a MBP to do most of what they need to do on a computer - thus the value of the iPad increases for them - just not you. And for all itents and purposes "it's penetration into the masses" is what is driving sales, not sales to the geek minority. Perhaps you missed those articles...., and reports, and commentary, and, well, where the heck have you been exactly???
  • Reply 67 of 67
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted