iTunes Match settings now visible on iOS 5 devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Support for Apple's new iTunes Match service is now active and configurable in non-developer devices running iOS 5, indicating that it will soon roll out to the general public.

Devices running iOS 5 originally lacked any mention of iTunes Match under Settings/Music, but a toggle switch is now live, and does not require a software update.

After turning on iTunes Match, the user is prompted to enter the Apple ID associated with his or her iTunes Match subscription, although subscriptions have not yet been made available to the public. Developers have been able to sign up for accounts to test the new service for the past few weeks.

Once turned on, a second control appears that configures whether the device should show all music in the user's cloud based library, or only music that has been downloaded to the device.

iTunes Match will cost $24.99 per year, and provides a 256 Kbps AAC digital download from the cloud for each song appearing in a user's iTunes library, regardless of its original source, and in general, without having to actually upload gigabytes of music to the cloud (a process Apple says could otherwise take "weeks").

This allows legitimate owners of CDs who have ripped their collections the option of having all their music available from any iTunes PC or iOS mobile device associated with their iTunes Match account, but also allows file traders who have obtained music from less legitimate sources to similarly take their music to the cloud by paying a "no questions asked" fee that is shared with music owners.

Apple's official promotional materials say, "if you want all the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven?t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It lets you store your entire collection, including music you?ve ripped from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes, for just $24.99 a year."

As Apple explains, "here?s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud.

"All you have to upload is what iTunes can?t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. And all the music iTunes matches plays back at 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality ? even if your original copy was of lower quality."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    So what happens when you stop paying the yearly fee? Does all your music revert back to its original low fidelity form?

In other words, can you download the up-converted copies to your hard drive, or are they only available by streaming?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I am supposing that because it is not appearing for me, that it is a US only option at this point.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I can't see it either.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    How does a toggle switch just appear without a software update? Was there an internal OS timer for the switch to appear today?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

So what happens when you stop paying the yearly fee? Does all your music revert back to its original low fidelity form?

In other words, can you download the up-converted copies to your hard drive, or are they only available by streaming?

Once you purchase iTunes Match and match up everything, you have the option to go ahead and download all of the higher quality songs to your hard drive, iDevice, whatever.Those files are yours to keep, no matter if you cancel the service or not. But remember, if you do cancel your service, and happen to lose your files, you cannot go and re-download them like you can with purchased content.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeys View Post

How does a toggle switch just appear without a software update? Was there an internal OS timer for the switch to appear today?

Probably. I've always had iTunes Match visible and I installed the GM when it was called GM. I didn't bother to reinstall the release, as it's the same build number.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Crank it up, Apple! Get iTunes 10.5.1 out!

$25 at the ready...
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I am supposing that because it is not appearing for me, that it is a US only option at this point.

Itunes Match is going to be US only to start, it has to do with negotiating the rights issues with content owners for the various other nations. Therefore, no you shouldn't see an option to turn on Itunes Match if you are not in the US.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Just now showing for me..wasn't showing earlier. We'll see how well this goes in a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

It's easy. The software switch was programmed in and it was probably turned on using some kind of push message from Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The songs are 256-kbps AAC+ DRM-free. Once the upgraded copy is on your hard drive, it's yours even if you cancel the service.

Quote:

This has happened lots of times in iOS's history. When Apple gave the go-ahead to allow iTunes Music purchases over 3G, it just happened. Same can be said about the hotspot feature and iTunes Match - the software is pre-programmed to enable or hide features based on what the servers say. iTunes Match, for example, will only appear on devices in the US when it starts. Soon after, when it's available in other countries, Apple will just flip a switch and suddenly it will appear in those countries as well.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

The songs are 256-kbps AAC+ DRM-free. Once the upgraded copy is on your hard drive, it's yours even if you cancel the service.

This has happened lots of times in iOS's history. When Apple gave the go-ahead to allow iTunes Music purchases over 3G, it just happened. Same can be said about the hotspot feature and iTunes Match - the software is pre-programmed to enable or hide features based on what the servers say. iTunes Match, for example, will only appear on devices in the US when it starts. Soon after, when it's available in other countries, Apple will just flip a switch and suddenly it will appear in those countries as well.

Dumb question:

are you sure you can download the 256kbps version to another device?

all I read in the description in the top post is that you can "listen on any other device" so doesn't that mean streaming?

I understand it to mean once they check that you own a song, you can hear it at a higher quality on other devices. I didn't notice it specifying that you can download the entire library. Just "listen".
  • Reply 13 of 39
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Dumb question:

all I read in the description in the top post is that you can "listen on any other device" so doesn't that mean streaming?

I understand it to mean once they check that you own a song, you can hear it at a higher quality on other devices. I didn't notice it specifying that you can download the entire library. Just "listen".

That's the whole point of match. It's *not* a streaming service.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Dumb question:

From screenshots and videos posted already (I'm not a registered developer, so I don't have access to it, nor could I talk about it if I was), it appears to do both. When you turn on iTunes Match on the device, your entire music library shows up in the Music app. You can either tap on a song and stream it, or you can tap on the cloud icon next to each song to download it straight to your device. It caches streamed songs onto your device, so you don't have to download it every time you want to listen to it.

As a bonus, it will also sync your playlists across your devices as well. Edit a playlist on your iPhone, and it's instantly updated on your iPad and PC as well!. Neat.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    So I got a question...my old Western Digital NAS crashed, killing a whole bunch of my music library. The song titles are still in my iTunes library though.

If I sign up for iTunes Match, will it download all of those songs including the "missing" ones? Or do you need a copy of the song in your library, not just the filename?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    wondering ...

(a) if i'll be able to do a match operation first to see what they have of mine and what they don't, or if i'll have to pay just to see if it will be of any benefit to me, and

b) what happens to those songs of mine that are of better quality than what apple is offering? i assume i won't lose thos. i.e., i won't be forced to download anything i don't want.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

That's the whole point of match. It's *not* a streaming service.

Didn't they just specifically said "stream" in iPhone event?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Didn't they just specifically said "stream" in iPhone event?

I had to go back and the current iCloud page does mention that the files can stream though the specifics on that are vague right now. The original (WWDC) info on iCloud didn't seem to mention that (perhaps Spotify's intro had an affect on that). The iCloud page is very specific that the actual 256kbps AAC files can be downloaded or stream (not sure if this just means you can play it while it downloads or stream without persistently storing if you so choose) to any of your devices though.

Regardless though, Katonah can safely be assured that he/she can certainly download permanent copies of matched music (as permanent as the media thy choose to store it on).
  • Reply 19 of 39
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

(not sure if this just means you can play it while it downloads or stream without persistently storing if you so choose) to any of your devices though.

I checked and Eddy Cue said "..will stream any songs, albums & playlists." It's interesting that he used the word "stream" but I agree with you it remains to be seen will the song be stored on your device if you just want to stream it.

Anyway, it's interesting that iTunes Match has a switch for lyric info. Anyone could shed some light on what this is?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    it streams to the i devices over Wifi or 3g.

i have a 4000 song library. all in iTunes Match.

my 16GB iPhone has 0 songs in memory, yet all 4000 show up in iTunes now.

its very cool.