Android, Windows Phone bosses downplay Apple's Siri threat

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

It's funny that I keep hearing the "do I need my jacket today" example.

Try asking Siri "Text my wife I love her". Awkward moments will ensue.

I'm glad SIRI will balk at sending my wife a text that says "I love her." Might make for a lot more awkward moments when I get home if she did send that...
  • Reply 222 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

I see a lot of folks trying to say Siri isn't ready or Siri isn't much use. I think you're wrong. This really happened in my garage just moments after getting her phone setup:

Wife (a professional musician running late to a gig--as always): Asks me, "Where is Blah House in Dallas?"

Me: "Just ask your phone"

Wife to Siri: "Where is Blah House in Dallas?"

Siri shows map with push pin.

Wife touches push pin

Phone displays address of Blah House in Dallas

Wife punches address into GPS and screeches out of the driveway.

Folks, give it up. My musician wife is in love with the thing.

whats so special about that. Its even easier to do on android. Just say: "navigate to Blah house in Dallas."

Siri will end up being a novelty for most.. used every once in a while for specific things, just like voice commands for android. If people really wanted a voice controlled digital personal assistant it would have happened on the desktop years ago.
  • Reply 223 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D_Brown View Post

whats so special about that. Its even easier to do on android. Just say: "navigate to Blah house in Dallas."

Siri will end up being a novelty for most.. used every once in a while for specific things, just like voice commands for android. If people really wanted a voice controlled digital personal assistant it would have happened on the desktop years ago.

There's a huge, fundamental difference that's a game changer.

On Andrid you have to tell the phone how do do what you want to do. On Siri, you just tell it what you need and it figures out how to do it. Try telling Android "I lost my keys". See if it figures out you need a locksmith.

Try saying "Do I need a raincoat?" and see if it not only pulls up the weather, but both shows the hour by hour forecast for today and tells you the summary of "Yes, it looks like rain".

It's such a huge, fundamental difference. Instead of thinking like a computer, you can talk like a person and have the phone figure out what it all means.