Samsung ships 20M smartphones, besting Apple's 17.1M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superjunaid View Post

Well that's really nice for samsung selling I wonder how many different models of their smartphones to get to the 20 million number, Apple did 17.1 million with just 1 device the iPhone, of course many different configurations, but it's still just one product.

+1!!!!

Sammy sells like 30 different phones while Apple has just 1!
  • Reply 22 of 143
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Yeah! Big news.

How many were actually sold?

And how many different Samsung phones against one Apple iPhone?
  • Reply 23 of 143
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Does this mean that the trolls will finally go home, or is AI their preferred home now (with us being such a friendly bunch )?

The expression that is probably appropriate right now is that Apple is crying all the way to the bank!
  • Reply 24 of 143
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

If I recall, Apple said they sold 17 million iPhones. Sold is most certainly not the same as shipped.

Yes, sold just the same as Samsung would sell them. Once a reseller pays for them and they leave Samsung's control it's a sale, just as it is for Apple. In general the "sale" is counted once the devices are paid for and shipment made, whether to a Best Buy, ATT, Verizon or Walmart warehouse, or to an individual buyer. Apple is very clear on this. Read Apple's SEC 10-K filing to confirm how Apple recognizes a sale in it's financial statements if you have a question about it.
  • Reply 25 of 143
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    With the free iPhone 3GS to compete with equally free Android phones, next quarter is going to be the one to really watch!
  • Reply 26 of 143
    No wonder Apple is pissed. Samsung is kicking their tail. Wow.
  • Reply 27 of 143
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S II was recently crowned 'best smartphone 2011' in the Netherlands (go figure what the dutchies were smoking).

I never saw it in real life, but just happened to stumble upon one this morning. My response: WTF, is this what all the hubbub is about? What a nintendo-cloning-piece-of-rubbish'! It's even worse than any HTC brick. Flimsy plastics that give when you ever so slightly squeeze the thing;

Flimsy eh? Square Trade drop tested the IP4s and Galaxy II S. Guess which one survived in better shape?

Yep, the flimsy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw
  • Reply 28 of 143
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes, sold just the same as Samsung would sell them. Once a reseller pays for them and they leave Samsung's control it's a sale, just as it is for Apple. In general the "sale" is counted once the devices are paid for and shipment made, whether to a Best Buy, ATT, Verizon or Walmart warehouse, or to an individual buyer. Apple is very clear on this. Read Apple's SEC 10-K filing to confirm how Apple recognizes a sale in it's financial statements if you have a question about it.

But Apple makes it clear that 99.9% of phones shipped are actually sold to end users. What's also interesting is that the 1 year old 4 and the 2 year old 3GS was only 3 MM short of Samsung's current portfolio.

Also the reseller does buy the phones from Samsung, but if they don't sell them they will order less and may even ship the unsold ones back. so we'll see what this means for Samsung in future quarters.

Also, how many bought a galaxy phone because they thought it was an iphone .
  • Reply 29 of 143
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

+1!!!!

Sammy sells like 30 different phones while Apple has just 1!

Apple currently sells 3 models in a total of 12 different configurations.
  • Reply 30 of 143
    ndende Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

If I recall, Apple said they sold 17 million iPhones. Sold is most certainly not the same as shipped.

I read it the same way. Maybe Apple should release their "shipped" info.
  • Reply 31 of 143
    Okay, but how many did they actually "SELL"?
  • Reply 32 of 143
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nde View Post

"The Company (Apple) recognizes revenue (a sale) when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, delivery has occurred, the sales price is fixed or determinable, and collection is probable. Product is considered delivered to the customer once it has been shipped and title and risk of loss have been transferred. For most of (Apple's) product sales, these criteria are met at the time the product is shipped."

Quoted from Apple's 10-K filing

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/110119/aapl10-q.html
  • Reply 32 of 143
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nde View Post

Sold or shipped - an awful lot of devices either way and I am pretty impressed. I have yet to see one in the wild but I probably will one day. I am presuming they are talking about many models against Apple's ip4? Not to downplay it but it does make a difference.
  • Reply 34 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

If I'm not sick of this shipped as opposed to actually sold crap - stop posting articles if they are not actual sales.

Right! Like they made 20 million devices at 150$ each ($3,000,000,000) just to grab this headline
  • Reply 35 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung reportedly shipped 20 million smartphones last quarter, pushing it ahead of rival Apple in terms of total units.

Shipped != sold. Atari shipped 5 million copies of ET for their Atari 2600. Guess where nearly every copy is at now?

Quote:

Flimsy plastics that give when you ever so slightly squeeze the thing; way over the top brightness and contrast; no balance in weight; no craftsmanship; no... well nothing. Everything about this thing screams CHEAP, I'M CHEAP!

You do realize that reviewers consider the iPhone 4 and 4S to be fragile because of the glass front and back. I dropped (well, my toddler) my iPhone 3GS numerous times against concrete and the case suffered numerous scuffs, but still intact. If my iPhone 4S suffered the same treatment, it would likely be shattered in under week. There is a reason the industrial design did not catch on with the rest of the cell phone industry.
  • Reply 36 of 143
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 37 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Right! Like they made 20 million devices at 150$ each ($3,000,000,000) just to grab this headline

I'm as much of an Apple fan as anyone. (currently own an IPhone 4, IPad 2, and hope to buy a Mac later( on a college budget ATM)

But Apple got beat here (assuming the 20 mill were actually sold, probably not but let's say so)

Apple got best because they were slow at getting iOS out of the door. Yes, I'm sure with the 4S, they will sell more again. But for whatever reasons, Apple lost here, get over it.

That said, yes samsung are losers and copied apple.

But as long as the iPhone doesn't get too much thinner, (like the iPod touch), I'll always buy iPhones. But samsung won a battle, just admit it. Even the best football teams lose sometimes. Apple will reclaim 1st during this quarter.

Don't be son pro-apple that you are blind to the facts

Posted from my badass IPad2

(P.S. I've been following apple insider and many other sites since the accounement of the iPhone 3G. I used my 3G to following the iPhone.

Personally I thought iOS 4 was crappy but iOS 5 is nice
  • Reply 38 of 143
    Quote:

The Samsung Galaxy S II was recently crowned 'best smartphone 2011' in the Netherlands (go figure what the dutchies were smoking).

Or maybe, just maybe... the Galaxy S2 *GASP*.. is actually a good phone? And by that I mean it has a proven track record of being a dependable and capable smartphone after more than six months in the wild.

Who cares what some random organisation declares which smartphone to be the best this year? Just be happy with your fruit-devices and accept that there are other good phones out there which appeals to other people too. It's iFan extremists like you who gives the whole Apple community a bad name.
  • Reply 39 of 143
    look at that, AI is trolling
  • Reply 40 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Shipped != sold. Atari shipped 5 million copies of ET for their Atari 2600. Guess where nearly every copy is at now?

You do realize that reviewers consider the iPhone 4 and 4S to be fragile because of the glass front and back. I dropped (well, my toddler) my iPhone 3GS numerous times against concrete and the case suffered numerous scuffs, but still intact. If my iPhone 4S suffered the same treatment, it would likely be shattered in under week. There is a reason the industrial design did not catch on with the rest of the cell phone industry.

I'm harder than anyone with my phones, and my 3G saw a coke bath, rain, water, 40 ft drop onto a wood deck, fell on to the road at 60mph, ran over on rocks by an ATV, and so on

Still works til this day, though I use an iPhone 4 now, I loan out my 3G to ppl needing a temp phone.

That said. I've only broken my iPhone 4 screen once, not the back (only meet one person who has broken the back)

(has fallen down cement stairs, countless drops etc, no water yet.

But it's still very tough

PS. I dont use cases, too big