Apple focuses on Siri with first iPhone 4S TV ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Television networks have begun airing the first commercial for the iPhone 4S, with the advertisement focusing primarily on the new device's Siri virtual personal assistant feature.

The fast-paced ad begins with a shot of the Siri interface and then cuts to closeups of a variety of users submitting requests to the application. The requests range from practical to informative, such as "We have a flat tire," "I'm locked out" and "What does a weasel look like?"

"Say hello to the most amazing iPhone yet," the commercial concludes.

In typical Apple fashion, the TV spot eschews listing technical specifications in favor of highlighting the personal element to the device. For instance, Apple last year aired a series of ads showing heart-warming FaceTime video calls between people.

Apple took the wraps off the iPhone 4S at a press event earlier this month. Though some pundits expressed disappointment at the lack of a new form factor for the device, record numbers of customers have flocked to purchased the handset. Apple has revealed that sales of the iPhone 4S topped 4 million in the first three days of availability.

Wireless operator AT&T announced on Thursday that it had activated 1 million iPhone 4S devices on Tuesday, setting a record for fastest selling iPhone on the carrier. Sprint last week said that the handset has topped previous one-day sales records for the company.

Mainstream media outlets have praised Siri as a "standout feature" of the iPhone 4S. Reviewers were, in general, quite impressed with the virtual personal assistant, though they did note that the functionality is not yet perfect.

Apple competitors, however, have disparaged the service. Android boss Andy Rubin said earlier this week that he doesn't believe that phones should serve as assistants, while Microsoft's Windows Phone head Andy Lees dismissed the device as not being "super useful." Both competing platforms offer their own voice recognition features, though they lack the natural language processing that Siri has.

The Cupertino, Calif., iPhone maker purchased Siri for $200 million in 2010 and has reportedly expanded the team working on the feature to make it one of the largest groups at the company.

To learn more about the iPhone 4S and Siri, see AppleInsider's in-depth review and Inside Apple's iPhone 4S series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    IMO, once again it appears Apple is going to main stream a technology. A lot of the pieces are out there, just needed someone to bring them together. Just the beginning folks... IMO
  • Reply 2 of 52
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO, once again it appears Apple is going to main stream a technology. A lot of the pieces are out there, just needed someone to bring them together. Just the beginning folks... IMO

It should hit its stride on the iPad 3 and integrate eventually with all devices- iPhones and Macs together once Suri starts multitasking.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

In this case Apple didn't really bring anything together, what they did do is mainstream voice tech that for a while had been relegated to some lab somewhere with consurmerability somewhere in the near future.

As they did with the first iPhone Apple took what was coming and decided to not be pussies like the rest of the field and put it out there properly.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Siri is nice and the voice recognition software is really accurate (no accent American). BUT, I am really disappointed that Siri cannot do something as simple as open an application...such as, "open ????". Sir also doesn't read back incoming text and emails. So much potential, but I will stick with my iPhone 4 for another year.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    I confess I find this ad a little spooky. Everybody's head is cut off just above the mouth (except for the weasel girl). Like "1984" only backwards. Have we now become the faceless ones, listening only to Siri?

I'd like to know what they were thinking when they designed this ad.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Siri is nice and the voice recognition software is really accurate (no accent American). BUT, I am really disappointed that Siri cannot do something as simple as open an application...such as, "open ????". Sir also doesn't read back incoming text and emails. So much potential, but I will stick with my iPhone 4 for another year.

Beta...
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

Umm, yes she does read back incoming text messages. Emails no, sms/imessage yes. And she vocalizes more of her responses when she detects a handsfree mode.

Honestly, I find her so useful in the car that my principal complaint about Siri is that I'd like her to stay "on the line" once I've triggered her in handsfree mode and not break the bluetooth connection until I tell her that I've finished. Instead she drops the line once a task is complete.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    But then Rubin and Lees only just got past the 'no physical keyboard' thing. And does Rubin really think the smartphone is limited to talking to people?
  • Reply 9 of 52
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    And google acts like this is some sort of fad novelty that will fade away. Wow. I really bet they wish they thought of it. Secretly they are envious. You either have it or you don't. Apple has it. Chaching.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplift1 View Post

Umm, yes she does read back incoming text messages. Emails no, sms/imessage yes. And she vocalizes more of her responses when she detects a handsfree mode.

Honestly, I find her so useful in the car that my principal complaint about Siri is that I'd like her to stay "on the line" once I've triggered her in handsfree mode and not break the bluetooth connection until I tell her that I've finished. Instead she drops the line once a task is complete.

Actually SIRI is a busy girl. She would love to stay and chat but she has allot to deal with like looking in the mirror and doing her hair or doing her nails. But.... She will be there at your beckon call when you need her. Lol.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

Well, there are two things here. Knowing how all Apps with their unique names sound, and security. When Apple figures out how to add these things in properly and carefully, I'm sure it will happen.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "What does a weasel look like?"

*Displays picture of Bill Gates*
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Well, there are two things here. Knowing how all Apps with their unique names sound, and security. When Apple figures out how to add these things in properly and carefully, I'm sure it will happen.

They could have the devs implement a phonetic key or something with their apps.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Ummm ... If this were really amazing, saying, "I'm locked out" should unlock the doors, instead of telling you where to find a locksmith, no?

Suddenly, it's not so amazing.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Beta...

The good thing about Siri is that since its going they apple's servers it will be really easy for apple to figure out what the most important requests are. This is google's strength and Siri is giving apple a lot of information that should make iOS as a whole

Much better.

I love Siri already, despite it's limitations and cannot wait till its expanded.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

I confess I find this ad a little spooky. Everybody's head is cut off just above the mouth (except for the weasel girl). Like "1984" only backwards. Have we now become the faceless ones, listening only to Siri?

I'd like to know what they were thinking when they designed this ad.

Talking, I think
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

Funny. You must not really have tried Siri. So epic fail. She sure does read back

Text messages, perfectly in fact. I doubt they will ever unlock it to read back email. Duh. Your phone battery would die in a minute. Why? What if the email was a book in length? Confidential etc? Think before you speak. Doubtful you understand Siris brain is NOT on your phone (duh) but on their servers ( see Siri "connect").

Shrill ?? Me thinks so. If your getting paid to put out lies at least be accurate lol
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Actually SIRI is a busy girl. She would love to stay and chat but she has allot to deal with like looking in the mirror and doing her hair or doing her nails. But.... She will be there at your beckon call when you need her. Lol.

That's cuz she's "phoning home" literally. As all this technology progresses so will voice command tech. Patience people
  • Reply 19 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

And google acts like this is some sort of fad novelty that will fade away. Wow. I really bet they wish they thought of it. Secretly they are envious. You either have it or you don't. Apple has it. Chaching.

This is going to be Apples biggest seller yet. Another brilliant marketing move that makes the average mass consumer *think* apple out innovated the competition. This one feature casts a large shadow over the Droids. Suddenly they are featureless since they can't match Apple on this one. Really? Yea really. Ask yourself if Siri isn't a show stopper then why the very first ad focuses SOLELY on it? Don't any of you *think* iMessage is a huge deal? You get what I mean.

Strategy people! WITD?

I mean some infantile thinking here. Just like the rumor today that Apple "hurriedly" put this 4s to market cuz i5 wasn't ready!!! Lol!!! Apple was genius to wait out the evolution of 4g. It's not their networks duh. Apple 101... Let others try but we perfect it. That's how the iPhone was born. So will be the i5

Give me a break. The i5 will break when the CELL industry is ready for a REALLY great 4g phone with Apples branding and battery life. The mass market has yet to reach saturation with iPhones people. Big picture little thinkers!!
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Siri is already advanced search. I can't wait to use it on iPad, iMac. Macbook and even Apple TV.

Computer users tend to use Google for all searches because they are not familiar with many other smaller search engines that are tailored to answer their queries. Well Siri can change that by allowing users to access other search engines such as Yelp and information providers such as Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia without having to remember their interface.

Search engines like Google as we know them will change forever. Just imagine all the smaller search engines wanting to compete with Google, well, if they are good, Siri can give them that chance.

Time will tell.