Apple makes 'Celebrating Steve' event video publicly available

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Apple is using his death as a marketing tool. You can't view the video unless you are using an apple product.

Nice one Cook et al. Very classy.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    I am so grateful to have been able to watch this. My whole life flashed before my eyes.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    You are a f*cking tool. What would you be typing that stupid comment on without Steve?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple is using his death as a marketing tool. You can't view the video unless you are using an apple product.

• Reply 24 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Frankly speaking, if somebody is not viewing the video on an Apple device, then they can't claim to be much of a fan, so screw them.

If it were up to me, then only people running Mac OS X or IOS would be able to read my posts.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

You posted the exact same thing on another forum, didn't you? Anyway, you're a liar. I viewed the video just fine on my windows machine.

And who the hell would they be marketing to, exactly? Is someone going to suddenly start buying Apple products because of a memorial event? Oh wait, according to you nobody can see the video except Apple users.. in which case they're marketing to the choir? Idiot.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I've still not completely grasped his passing. I was hoping that apple would allow us the opportunity to view this... And I'm glad they did. Tim Cook... I have never felt more confident the path you will lead Apple down will be just as Steve envisioned. Jony... Thank you for being one of the best parts of Apple.

My love, thoughts, and prayers go out to the entire Apple family. Thank you for making my life just that much more enjoyable.

Love yah Steve.

-Joe
  • Reply 27 of 52
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You posted the exact same thing on another forum, didn't you? Anyway, you're a liar. I viewed the video just fine on my windows machine.

And who the hell would they be marketing to, exactly? Is someone going to suddenly start buying Apple products because of a memorial event? Oh wait, according to you nobody can see the video except Apple users.. in which case they're marketing to the choir? Idiot.

Quicktime is an apple product. No who's the idiot?
  • Reply 28 of 52
    On the basis of this and other comments made by you, I don't think I'd consider you any sort of arbiter of what constitutes class.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott6666 View Post

Nope, I'm on Lion and getting the same message. I think the servers are just overloaded.

scott6666, OH!, in that case, I'm encouraged that we'll both be able to watch it when traffic lessens. Thanks for your feedback!
  • Reply 30 of 52
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

On the basis of this and other comments made by you, I don't think I'd consider you any sort of arbiter of what constitutes class.

Apple could have made the video compatible with virtually all web browsers on the market, but they didn't.

It's not even available to mac users on an OS more than 2yrs old!

You would think apple would appreciate users that have been with them for a while, but they don't.

They only care about getting people to ditch their old stuff and buy their latest gadgets.

There was no need to "protect" the file. It's inevitable that some geek would save it to their hard drive then upload it for the world to copy.

It was one of your own mac faithfuls that did it within hours of it's release.

Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past the reality distortion field.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Tried it with Firefox, didn't work. Tried it with Safari straight after that, worked. Gotta follow the rules.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Apple could have made the video compatible with virtually all web browsers on the market, but they didn't.

You would think apple would appreciate users that have been with them for a while, but they don't.

They only care about getting people to ditch their old stuff and buy their latest gadgets.

There was no need to "protect" the file. It's inevitable that some geek would save it to their hard drive then upload it for the world to copy.

It was one of your own mac faithfuls that did it within hours of it's release.

Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past the reality distortion field.

Why even waste your time posting? Troll much tool?
  • Reply 33 of 52
    The event was very well done - I can understand why people said afterwards that it bought them some closure. A lot of nice touches.

By the way, did anyone notice the similarity between the guy at 44:26 and the guy in that photo of Steve a few days after he resigned?
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Gulp, wow, that is a classy touching tribute.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Watched it without missing a beat on my ancient, vintage iPad 1, one of the first out the door 18 months ago. The shape of this thing still amazes me.

Thanks, Steve, (and Jony, and all those other people) for making a computer into a lovable object, and for making a company that can create such things for the world. (And Tim Cook did an amazing job in the performance of his career, no doubt.)
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

No other browser supports HTTP live streaming?

Quote:

Because those don't, either.

Quote:

There was no need to "protect" the file.

Thanks for thinking you know this.

Quote:

Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past your own selfish desires.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Views just fine on my iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Would you say it was different than Tim Cook during the iPhone 4S presentation when Jobs was only hours from passing?

I don't know, I'll have to go back to that. I only know I never noticed this in hearing Cook speak before. Possibly it is partly because he really is The Man now, and he's not holding anything back in respect for Jobs anymore. His words are the words of Apple now. The choices of words, the delivery, sounded like Jobs' choices. The restraint (at least in public) was Jobsian. A lot of CEOs on that stage would have overpromised re the future, Cook did not. He resisted the easy sentiment and facile, expected promises.

If Apple is led well from here, its potential is overwhelming. It's the biggest or next-biuggest company on Earth, but if it executes it could be that several times over. And Cook is an immensely talented and driven exec, just as Jobs was.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    .... the ones who perhaps don't have the resources to run the latest, greatest Macs. They too deserve the right to view the tribute so Apple, please put this up at the iTunes store (or alternate) so all those who believe in Steve's vision can see the celebration.

Disclaimer: I support Apple by buying all the latest & greatest that I can use. I have been Apple since 1979 and yes, I own stock.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Some of the speakers showed a side that is very nice to see and haven't shown much publicly. Ive was very down to earth and had a genuine message to share.

I felt Coldplay was a bit loud. I know it's supposed to be a celebration but I think a piano solo like Norah Jones did would have fitted in better. When Chris Martin shouts/sings out of key it just sounds really uncomfortable. Norah Jones was flawless though; her live voice is incredible.

Laurene Jobs looked amazing - a very beautiful and elegant woman. As moving as some of the shared sentiments were, words can't really epitomise what it is to lose a father, brother, son, husband and lifelong friend. Those people have a loss far greater than anyone and no form of consolation can return it. Music always helps though:

"I know now, just quite how, my life and love might still go on: in your heart, in your mind, I'll stay with you for all of time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5THMr7YbEM