Apple makes 'Celebrating Steve' event video publicly available

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The best part of this is what Jony Ive says.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple could have made the video compatible with virtually all web browsers on the market, but they didn't.

It's not even available to mac users on an OS more than 2yrs old!

You would think apple would appreciate users that have been with them for a while, but they don't.

They only care about getting people to ditch their old stuff and buy their latest gadgets.

There was no need to "protect" the file. It's inevitable that some geek would save it to their hard drive then upload it for the world to copy.

It was one of your own mac faithfuls that did it within hours of it's release.

Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past the reality distortion field.

Hmmm... I am running Safari 5.0.4 & Leopard 10.5.8 on a 6 year old PPC Quad G5 and and I can watch it no problem.

After reading all these comments I thought there was a problem... apparently not.

Thanks Apple for letting us watch this... even if our hardware is 'ancient'
  • Reply 43 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Nora Jones does "Forever Young" at about 29 minutes in the video, if you want to pick one moment to watch for a sample of the high tone of this memorial. Unforgettable, really. Everybody was great.

Edit: My wife says Al Gore especially, and Jony Ive, of course.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    In my case, it just took patience to wait for server overload to pass

on the video's 1st released day.

The Memorial wouldn't play for me yesterday.

But today it streams flawlessly

on both my Firefox 3.6.23 and my Safari 5.0.6,

on my 4+ year old secondhand Mini running OSX 10.5.8.

Hardly "only the 'latest & greatest' of Apple products will work"

(per some of the bickering in this forum).

But for my personal needs & budget, still absolutely perfect.

Thank You, Apple!
  • Reply 45 of 52
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    LOL. I thought he said adininum (e.g. X-Men Wolverine).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Aluminum.

• Reply 46 of 52
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I liked when Ive talked about what would happen when he and Steve checked into a hotel. Ive would always keep his bag packed and wait by the phone by his bed. Steve would eventually call and say Johnny this place is Shit, let's get out of Here. It was also cool how he talked about when Jobs threw out ideas.

I like Nora Jones, but Laurene seemed really touched by Coldplay. She was crying to the third song played on the piano.

Al Gore's speech was quite good as well. I like when he talked about Jobs asking a somewhat unwilling Scott Forestall for Siri in the middle of Scott's presentation to the Board, and Jobs asked Siri it's sex. Siri responded I have not been told that yet, Sir.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Some of the speakers showed a side that is very nice to see and haven't shown much publicly. Ive was very down to earth and had a genuine message to share.

I felt Coldplay was a bit loud. I know it's supposed to be a celebration but I think a piano solo like Norah Jones did would have fitted in better. When Chris Martin shouts/sings out of key it just sounds really uncomfortable. Norah Jones was flawless though; her live voice is incredible.

Laurene Jobs looked amazing - a very beautiful and elegant woman. As moving as some of the shared sentiments were, words can't really epitomise what it is to lose a father, brother, son, husband and lifelong friend. Those people have a loss far greater than anyone and no form of consolation can return it. Music always helps though:

"I know now, just quite how, my life and love might still go on: in your heart, in your mind, I'll stay with you for all of time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5THMr7YbEM

• Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skeedadell View Post

Aluminum. Ive has always pronounced it as AH-LOO-MIN-E-UM... Watch him in one of the videos about designing the MacBooks and you'll understand then.

Please tell me you are joking.

aluminium

Pronunciation:/al(j)ʊˈmɪnɪəm/

(US aluminum)

noun

[mass noun]

the chemical element of atomic number 13, a light silvery-grey metal. (Symbol: Al)

Aluminium is the most abundant metal in the earth?s crust and is obtained mainly from bauxite. Its resistance to corrosion, lightness , and strength (especially in alloys) have led to widespread use in domestic utensils, engineering parts , and aircraft construction

Origin:

early 19th century: from alumina + -ium

Spelling help

Remember that aluminium ends with -ium (the spelling aluminum is American).
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shrek4224 View Post

What did he say that Steve always laughed at him for, I did not understand the word he said.

He said "aluminium" which is the European English pronunciation for aluminum.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    That was an amazing tribute. I was left with red eyes and a feeling Steve left Apple in the best hands available on earth.

RIP Sir.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stunkcrunk View Post

He said "aluminium" which is the European English pronunciation for aluminum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Aluminum.

Well, I wouldn't laugh at anything Ives said. He's built to kill.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Really touched by this video. In a way it finally gave me closure to everything that has been going on in the last few weeks.

Great speech by Jony Ive. Amazingly talented, gentle & Humble guy.

Amazing to see so many Apple employees at the Campus. Is that how many people work at 1 Infinite Loop or did people travel from other offices around the area? I never did picture Apple to be so populated, somehow it was always Steve, Jony Ive, Scott + The rest of the executive team and leading other teams around Apple cranking stuff out... Just puts in perspective how much it has grown and how many mouths Apple feeds from it's amazing products.

RIP Steve Jobs. I just got to know you better through reading early parts of your biography on my iPad.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Really pleased they posted this video. It was a shame that Steve Wozniak did not speak, but I think the words delivered by Bill, Al, Tim and Jony were great. Also the fact that they played Steve's "Think Different" advert.

Scott: "So Siri does this... This... This..."

Steve: "Gimmie the phone Scott"

Scott: "But Steve... I've tuned it to my voice, it might no-"

Steve: "Give me the phone!"

Steve always knew Jony said Aluminium right, I liked the story about the hotel. I think that was good.

Norah Jones was okay, I just found her overly-saddening. While I loved the Coldplay performances.

Finally, I think Katie Cotton did a great job at organising the celebration, it was great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I like Nora Jones, but Laurene seemed really touched by Coldplay. She was crying to the third song played on the piano.

Did you see Jeff Williams? I thought he was crying at Fix You.