Steve Jobs was 'excited' about an Apple HDTV, but content deals are needed

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    This is exactly what I said 2 days ago when the story first broke and all y'all calmed me a troll. Haha- He who has the last laugh last best.

Remember : Content is King. Doesn't matter if the digital hub is there 'cause without those TV shows and movies it ain't worth squat.
  • Reply 62 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

It's always nice to see someone write a big long explanation of why they feel it's okay to steal something they didn't pay for.

I don't think he was attempting to justify anything, merely providing anecdotal evidence of how content providers are driven by money at the expense of user experience.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Go work for Microsoft.

Are you hiring?
  • Reply 64 of 96
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

Give the remote a MIC and SiRi you're still fighting for a remote. A remote with a 2 day bettery life. Besides, talking to your TV remote seems like the yuckiest, most un-Apple thing I've ever heard.

iTV will have a physical remote, and the UI will be an iTV iOS variant with the UI on the TV. The remote better be Bluetooth though, because as much as I like the shape and design of the Apple aluminium remote, IR sucks donkey dick.

Either BT or WiFi; the Remote app works nice right now.

And what about a supplementary mic? The remote's mic would just augment the TV's mic.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

This is exactly what I said 2 days ago when the story first broke and all y'all calmed me a troll. Haha- He who has the last laugh last best.

I said this 5 years ago.
  • Reply 66 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Are you hiring? lol

No, but your ideas will go far at Microsoft.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Either BT or WiFi; the Remote app works nice right now.

I agree, but I need to fiddle with my iPhone, find the app etc. It's not ideal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

And what about a supplementary mic? The remote's mic would just augment the TV's mic.

No MIC. Period.

If at some stage they add iTV control technology to Siri that's one thing, though I have my doubts, but that's a separate product. The TV product will have its own functionality and UI, and none of that will use cameras, Siri or anything else. It will have a "simple" remote. It just how Apple operates. It better fucking not be IR, though.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:

The only reason the little black box gets away with its relatively meager popularity is because of its price. The same would not be true for a $999 iTV with no TV subscription..

They either get the shows that people want at a monthly fee or they don't sell a TV. I think it's literally that simple. They don't need 'every show', but they do need the vast majority of them, but more importantly they absolutely need a monthly deal. Otherwise they can't make it a revolution.

That is an awfully steep hill to climb - rights to the "vast majority" of TV content. Good luck with that. Never gonna happen IMHO. If that is the criteria, that Apple must negotiate a deal with dozens of major content providers (including all major sports haha), you are right, they will never sell a TV. However, I don't think you are right.

Any one of the major cable providers ALREADY has all those rights. And the pipe. And the customer base. And cable companies are cheap right now. Comcast for example has ~22M customers and market cap is $66B. Revenues of $38B. And $8B of profit last year, which is a lot better return than Apple is getting on its cash right now.

Steve's magic bullet?
  • Reply 69 of 96
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    The thirty dollar a month is more then reasonable. Currently, I have ditched cable. I use AT&T DSL for broadband. I pay $26 a month. I pay Netflix $16.99 a month (I will lower that to the $7.99 plan), and Hulu Plus $2.77 a month.

I'd pay $30 to get rid of Netflix and Hulu plus. The content holders really make no sense. I can get most current movies free at the library. I can get relatively new to DVD movies for a dollar a day.

The content holders would make more if they lowered the cost of content. They want you to pay for content you are not consuming. The content holders also view Apple's hold over the music industry as bad, when it reality it saved them.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Apple might be smart to partner with a company like Netflix who already is paying for content. Apple could contribute to the funds paid for content in return for Netflix to power an Apple branded TV with added content specifically for Apple subscribers.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple might be smart to partner with a company like Netflix who already is paying for content. Apple could contribute to the funds paid for content in return for Netflix to power an Apple branded TV with added content specifically for Apple subscribers.

Partner? Why not just BUY Netflix? Then they'd be able to get all the deals for video without frigging ads in the content.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    Quote:

No, but your ideas will go far at Microsoft.

Only to watch Steve Ballmer kill it
  • Reply 73 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yup, you nailed it. The only thing I can see is if apple starts their own channel (they have plenty of cash). In other words, buy up some popular shows from cable channels, or sponsor up and coming shows to get the ball rolling.

Than let the networks come in and be able to show their shows on apple TV as well. They all will come just like with music.

Now the cable charges you more than for internet alone, but less than internet + TV, gives you unlimited data cap and calls it the Apple TV package.

With apple TV you can watch shows in any language, from any country that wishes to give a certain cut to apple for letting them on. Anything from amateur stuff to high end expensive stuff.

This is clearly the future, the only question is who will take us there. Apple seems like the one to do this.

I don't know about you, but I get shows in my langage. It sucks, hard. I live in a country with a langage, was born in another and I'd like to have to press a button and get the original version, like DVD allows. iTunes prevents me from that, and since I currently use a MBA, I resent it. I don't want an Apple TV. I don't trust Apple to give me Heroes in English, and believe me, dubbed versions are painful. Really.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    I can't believe this is the 'I've cracked it' that Steve was talking about. I could have thought this plan up. And many others have. This just seems too simple. I'm hoping for something better.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    Quote:

I said this 5 years ago.

So does that make you an old troll?
  • Reply 76 of 96
    And who's gonna make the screens- SAMSUNG?
  • Reply 77 of 96

Talk about a game-changer...

Watch this via Gruber:

AirPlay Mirroring on iPad 2 As Of iOS 5 Beta 6

How did I miss this?

• Reply 78 of 96
    Quote:

Isn't everything?

Even more open to interpretation?
  • Reply 79 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In the US, we call it "whiner"...

I think that "whinger" refers to someone who does this more consistently and repetitively than your garden variety "whiner".
  • Reply 80 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, I guess it was inevitable.

"WAAAAAH! My predictions about the iPhone nano didn't come true! Better start raping some other baseless rumor!"

"WAAAAAH! My predictions about the xMac didn't come true! Better start raping some other baseless rumor!"

"WAAAAAH! My predictions about the redesigned iPhone didn't come true! Better start raping some other baseless rumor!"

Frigging analysts.

Steve Jobs said this was happening.