Steve Jobs was 'excited' about an Apple HDTV, but content deals are needed

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Steve Jobs said this was happening.

No, he didn't. Not by a frigging long shot.
  • Reply 82 of 96
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Contracts and potential lose of customers. They aren't that stupid. Sure they will cut that $10 a month or whatever "multi-item" discount you are getting but you are still $40 a head.

Sorry but you're wrong. I'm a Verizon landline employee and trust me they really dont care if a few people leave. How many people will get a very expensive Apple TV when then have one already and get all the content they want. I like most some of the posters here only watch a few shows along with sports but we're in the minority. They companies (networks, providers) want us to channel surf and come across shows we've never seen and build a fanbase, they will never do for a al carte service
  • Reply 83 of 96
    When The Leader says the interface couldn't be more simple, I'm thinking body parts we already own and know how to use. Last time simplicity was invoked to describe an interface, it was explaining that our finger was the best tool for using an iPhone and that due to clever Apple engineering we already have 8 of them (most of us, anyway).

Why not a gesture-based interface that can respond like an iPad would if we could touch it from across the room?

iTV, a big iPad with "touch" controls based on Kinect-type technology.

From a use-case perspective, I want to be able to do anything I would do on the iPad on the bigger screen so my whole family can share the experience. That might be watching baseball or a movie, but it could also be watching the slideshow the kids made after summer vacation or that hilarious You Tube video we have to watch just one more time.

iTV, all the content I have the rights to access without thinking about how to get it on the biggest screen in my home. It just works.

Now Apple just has to figure out how much I'm willing to pay for this convenience. I have no idea what that number looks like monthly, but probably ~$30? Hardware investment: $500-$1500 every three years with good hand-me-down support for old models?

As long as I can stop buying TVs and Mac Minis for the TV room, I'd be a happy camper.
  • Reply 84 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

So does that make you an old troll?

Yes..
  • Reply 85 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbadrobbo View Post

I can't believe this is the 'I've cracked it' that Steve was talking about. I could have thought this plan up. And many others have. This just seems too simple. I'm hoping for something better.

What are you talking about? It's like calling the iPod a music player. Sure, that's a simple idea. The idea is the easy part. It's the implementation, design and the execution that is the hard part. That's the part that's very difficult to copy. You can see examples of the market failing to copy Apple in all the areas they are in. Heck, no one can even copy their retail stores well.

Quote:

I could have thought this plan up.

Right so, build it then and I'll test it and give you my opinion of your product.
  • Reply 86 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The thirty dollar a month is more then reasonable. Currently, I have ditched cable. I use AT&T DSL for broadband. I pay $26 a month. I pay Netflix $16.99 a month (I will lower that to the $7.99 plan), and Hulu Plus $2.77 a month.

I'd pay $30 to get rid of Netflix and Hulu plus. The content holders really make no sense. I can get most current movies free at the library. I can get relatively new to DVD movies for a dollar a day.

The content holders would make more if they lowered the cost of content. They want you to pay for content you are not consuming. The content holders also view Apple's hold over the music industry as bad, when it reality it saved them.

Super comment.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

That is an awfully steep hill to climb - rights to the "vast majority" of TV content. Good luck with that. Never gonna happen IMHO.

The sad thing is you're right. But I didn't mean exactly the vast majority of TV content, I meant the vast majority of the hit shows.
  • Reply 88 of 96
    ahhh back

since 2008 not loged in ... and registered 2003 ... so long time.

Back to the Thread. The last days I only think of a Apple HDTV. I would buy one immidently !! Incredible ... the Thing I waited for ...

I think Apple will find a solution to get rid of most Cable Providers etc. Steve mentioned in D8 interview that this Apple TV should be without those guys ... so ... they will find a way.

I think Siri would be a cool control for a TV ) Siri ... play the newest Episode of. wuhuu
  • Reply 89 of 96
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i watched all the baseball games i was interested in on my MLB.com subscription via my Apple TV 2....

Ok- well that obviously didn't include your local team- because they're blacked out!

He made a great point. Why haven't I cut the cord? Sports. Period. And convenience doesn't hurt.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Talk about a game-changer...

Watch this via Gruber:

AirPlay Mirroring on iPad 2 As Of iOS 5 Beta 6

How did I miss this?

And here earlier I mistakenly said this was "so close" but not quite there; that was before playing TouchGrind BMX. Why isn't Apple promoting this? This is the killer feature, and it's 99% of the way there.

Watch the video people.

Unbelievable.
  • Reply 91 of 96
    Currently my best deal for all the content I can actually watch is STILL the local cable company.

With two tuners recording everything I'm interested in (Except for the shows I love that are often scheduled opposite each other on more than two networks) plus Hulu+, ABC, and NBC apps for iOS, PS3, or Samsung Smart TV, I can watch most everything I would like to see at any time (at least in my home). If I set aside enough time to watch 40 hours of programming per week with cable TV I can get an hour of entertainment for $0.25. I do have to watch like a maniac because of the low capacity for storing the 1080i programs on my Cable DVR, but it is doable. Unfortunately, I can't transfer the shows or stream them over my home network. And in the era of bandwidth caps I wouldn't want to stream them to my iDevices when I've away from home (I used up half my Verizon data cap watching three TED talks taking totaling about one hour.).

If I have to purchase each episode on iTunes the cost increases by a factor of ten ($2.00 to $3.00 per 720p download), plus I still have to pay to store it somewhere until I can get to it and decide which I want to erase to save space. It is way more convenient because I can take my content with me on my iDevices so I don't go over my download cap. The content syncs at night while my iPad and iPhone sync wirelessly. There is still a bit of management involved and I have no access to live TV beyond my local Fox or CBS affiliate (I can receive only 2 HD commercial stations OTA plus about 4 public Digital TV channels over ATSC).

If I want to avoid the cost I STILL have to pay for a high bandwidth connection for the torrents to feed the terabytes of storage for the ever growing queue and archive. I have manage and keep track of which drive it is on or have all of them powered on and connected to the same network.

Give me everything I want to watch where and when I want to watch it for less than $0.50 per hour and I will cut the cord tomorrow. I don't need to search my TV I know right where it is: trapped on my cable DVR just begging to come with me when I leave the house.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    The terrestrial bandwidth provider market is locked up. The cost of infrastructure limits competition, many municipalities grant monopoly contracts, if you live in an apartment building you likely have to take whatever the building owner has chosen. So unless Apple goes wireless, they're not going to make a dent in the entrenched cable/fiber provider powers.

The agreements between cable providers and content creators are bizarre and designed to keep both parties in power. I expect there's a bunch of regulations designed by the cable cos. and content providers that maintain the status quo - see uselessness of CableCard.

Most people get their Internet connectivity from their cable provider, so there's no incentive to "cut the cord"; you'd just be using one segment of the cord.

Cable cos. make money selling local ads. They can carry 700 channels and sprinkle local ads all over that spectrum. If you take away their ability to sprinkle local ads into the content being delivered, they are going to be unhappy and fight you. Maybe Apple has learned something from their iAd experience with iOS that will let the local providers inject ads into whatever awesome TV Apple has come up with.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 93 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, he didn't. Not by a frigging long shot.

He said enough. He's incredibly secretive and wouldn't have said this if it wasn't going to happen. My guess is that he let it slip to his biographer deliberately to help build hype for the inevitable, and help that hype encourage talk about the product before it ever materialized to let people market the product to themselves.
  • Reply 94 of 96
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77G0GK20110817

I'm wondering if this is iPad sized screens or HDTV sized screens.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77G0GK20110817

I'm wondering if this is iPad sized screens or HDTV sized screens.

I think it's for TV scenes.
  • Reply 96 of 96
    I haven't read through every comment so I apologize if someone already suggested this but I think I have a great solution....Apple could buy Dish Network! They could still let Dish function as it's own entity but it would give them access to their content contracts.

Existing Dish customers can do one of two things:

1. Keep their existing set top box and see very little change

2. Purchase an Apple TV that would connect to the set top box. (This would be necessary to access the DVR's hard drive since the ATV only has 8 GB.) All content would now be shown through Apple's slick interface.

3. Buy a new Apple HDTV with the DVR incorporated into the TV. This option allows you to lose the set top box and simplify your living room set up, which is what Apple is all about.

When it comes time to renew contracts with the content producers, Apple is suddenly holding a LOT more cards and can begin getting creative.

Apple, if you would like to hire me, I'm listening