NYT: Apple expected to release Siri-powered television by 2013

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

And iTunes is the King of content, right?

Yes for music, no for movies.
  • Reply 62 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

me: "television, find…"

my kid yelling: "gogglenAdfnd!"

This will never work.

Or ...

... like Siri on the iPhone it might come with a button that you press for Siri to listen to you, which would eliminate interference from all but the most determinedly self-centred and poorly parented children.

Computers can do a lot, but not technology can make your child behave properly except you.
  • Reply 63 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

and now that the world has SOME idea as to what it MIGHT be, that does help the competition a bit more then SJ's would have liked I'm sure. ...

No one has mentioned this yet that I am aware of, but I find it ironic that the biggest leak of an upcoming product we've seen from Apple for years came from ...

Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Or ...

... like Siri on the iPhone it might come with a button that you press for Siri to listen to you, which would eliminate interference from all but the most determinedly self-centred and poorly parented children.

Computers can do a lot, but not technology can make your child behave properly except you.

I can see 3 or 4 siblings screaming at Siri, each wanting a different channel.

Later... Siri to parent:

"Look, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."
  • Reply 65 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... As I said before... it's a Steve thing. His vision isn't there anymore... his tenacity, his arrogance, his patience, his timing... the RDF... all gone.

jmho

You're missing it. This is not a physical television with a Siri remote control. That isn't the way Steve thinks about this and that isn't the way AAPL does things. It is start from the beginning, how would you build from scratch the television watching experience....and what do we have now...and how are they different? And can you create that ideal television watching experience.

When Steve says television is "totally broken" or whatever, he isn't talking about the physical television...he is talking about the different pieces that go into watching television. It is too complicated and there are unnecessary pieces in the system that make things worse..not better. Steve is constantly thinking about ways to remove pieces to improve things...physically and conceptually.

Begin with the concept of a TV network. A TV Network takes available content and selects it for a targeted viewership and then puts in on a TV channel at a particular time for you to watch..Yes, you can partly get around this using a DVR...but the existence of the VCR or DVR just highlights the problem...doesn't really solve it. if Steve were here, he would ask, "why do we even need TV Networks...think of the resources that go into running a TV network and all they do is restrict your ability to watch the shows you want to watch!" Steve would say, "how about using existing technology to give people the tools they need to become their own TV networks."

Steve would have another whole rant about the firms that provide the bandwidth...why does a viewer have to worry about Comcast and all that...

So you have content providers...you have some interface (think an itunes store)... you have a TV that works seamlessly with the interface...you have a customer.....

and the question always gets to ... how can people become their own TV network if they can't program their own VCR or if DVRs remain a challenge....

The ability to easily find content and program the TV is an important missing piece to the puzzle. Another important piece is that content providers need to get on board...it will be harder than convincing record labels...

...one possible reason for all this sudden "openness" about an Apple TV is that they want to create a firestorm of buzz about it...so content providers will feel that if they do not negotiate agreements now, they will miss out when this thing is launched....

openness from AAPL is almost always strategic.
  • Reply 66 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

I submit that you're still missing the fundamental point: I assert that there will be no more input switching. I submit that cable, satellite, DVR, DVD, Blu-Ray (a world of hurt, remember). May not even be in the Apple TV Set.

Think about it, with Internet and On Demand programming, why all that other stuff?

I know of the complexities of the content providers and licensing and all that you mention. But I further submit that all this will fall away as it becomes clearer and clearer that it's a "Who needs it" situation.

I'm not going to guess what the threshold is for the pendulum to swing toward dropping all those accessories, but I believe that the pendulum is swinging.

Maybe I want it to be in the TV set because I already paid for the many Blu-ray and DVD movies and would like to watch in on my TV.
  • Reply 67 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sammy Davis View Post

You're missing it. This is not a physical television with a Siri remote control. That isn't the way Steve thinks about this and that isn't the way AAPL does things. It is start from the beginning, how would you build from scratch the television watching experience....and what do we have now...and how are they different? And can you create that ideal television watching experience.

etc. etc.

Oh... I get it alright... and you highlighted the "Steve thing" over and over in your post.

Steve was the point man in almost all situations where persuasion was needed. If content providers were needed it was Steve (or eventually Steve) who sat down in the boardrooms to convince the bosses that they needed him.

If it was just a physical thing then the team at Apple would be more than capable of bringing it home... but it aint... just as you have pointed out.
  • Reply 68 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Maybe I want it to be in the TV set because I already paid for the many Blu-ray and DVD movies and would like to watch in on my TV.

Reason number seventeen that Apple wouldn't release an HDTV when they already have so much going for them with Apple TV.
  • Reply 69 of 133
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I understand. I have shelves and shelves of DVD's and Blu-Rays. But, I'm the only one that watches them. My wife gives me "The Look" whenever I come home with one.

I've seen her use Netflix. All these things that you and I grew up with and cherish are becoming obsolete. Yes, that bothers me, but that doesn't affect the process.

So, I am choosing to embrace it. Yes, I will continue to buy Blu-rays, but I see the day coming. Even now, I am hankering to watch one of this summer's movies again. However, I noticed it's on Netflix. Am I going to buy a Blu-Ray? Maybe. Three months ago that would have been an "of course." And, I'm a software engineer.

Geez. Maybe I need therapy. I'm going to Fry's...
  • Reply 70 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

I've seen her use Netflix. All these things that you and I grew up with and cherish are becoming obsolete. Yes, that bothers me, but that doesn't affect the process.

Pshh. I still have my Laserdisc player hooked up to my HDTV. Hello, original Star Wars trilogy!

But no, I'm absolutely in the other camp. Physical disc media is dead. We're just letting the corpse fester before the funeral for some reason.
  • Reply 71 of 133
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

and you have the entrenched system of the content owners and content providers not letting anyone break up this union. If Jobs "cracked" it, that is what he cracked, not simply doing the obvious by putting an AppleTV in a TV to save the effort of a power cord and HDMI connection.

The content owner / distributor union is clearly the biggest obstacle. When SJ said he thought he'd 'cracked it' I read that as meaning Apple had worked out a solution that would work technically - a simple and above all, uniform interface for all content no matter what the source, and more importantly a solution he thought Apple could successfully sell to the content owners and providers. I didn't read it as the content owner/providers hurdle was done and dusted.

The bottom line is that as consumers we will keep paying as much as we do now, one way or the other. If Apple can sell a solution that gives the end user more choice (I want 15 specific channels, not 500 useless and 15 specific) the content owners will rely on the content providers to charge us more for data - the more you watch, the higher the quality, the more you pay. I am not at all sure this will happen but I am sure we will not be paying less when all is said and done.
  • Reply 72 of 133
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

No one has mentioned this yet that I am aware of, but I find it ironic that the biggest leak of an upcoming product we've seen from Apple for years came from ...

Steve Jobs.

I think this was SJ's last sales pitch. The man was an amazing marketeer! In death he is topping all the sales stats with the story of his life. I am guessing that the book will be an amazing marketing vehicle for Apple and I am sure it will continue to be effective as such for a long time to come.

His 'cracked it' statement has gotten everyone guessing and I am sure it will lead somewhere or other.
  • Reply 73 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pshh. I still have my Laserdisc player hooked up to my HDTV. Hello, original Star Wars trilogy!

But no, I'm absolutely in the other camp. Physical disc media is dead. We're just letting the corpse fester before the funeral for some reason.

I keep hearing "physical media is dead" but I keep seeing new movies being released so I continue to buy Blu-ray despite what they say.
  • Reply 74 of 133
    What I think would be amazing to see is car audio decks. Sure there are tons of people making them, but the closest to elegant is the higher class Pioneer decks and even those are very different from deck to deck. Just imagine what they could do with that.
  • Reply 75 of 133
    Quote:

Steve Jobs.

Spot on.
  • Reply 76 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can see 3 or 4 siblings screaming at Siri, each wanting a different channel.

Later... Siri to parent:

"Look, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."

Think of the dialogue we will have with her. Siri is going to be so much fun as she grows up!
  • Reply 77 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sammy Davis View Post

When Steve says television is "totally broken" or whatever, he isn't talking about the physical television...he is talking about the different pieces that go into watching television. It is too complicated and there are unnecessary pieces in the system that make things worse..not better. Steve is constantly thinking about ways to remove pieces to improve things...physically and conceptually.

Begin with the concept of a TV network. A TV Network takes available content and selects it for a targeted viewership and then puts in on a TV channel at a particular time for you to watch..Yes, you can partly get around this using a DVR...but the existence of the VCR or DVR just highlights the problem...doesn't really solve it. if Steve were here, he would ask, "why do we even need TV Networks...think of the resources that go into running a TV network and all they do is restrict your ability to watch the shows you want to watch!" Steve would say, "how about using existing technology to give people the tools they need to become their own TV networks."

Steve would have another whole rant about the firms that provide the bandwidth...why does a viewer have to worry about Comcast and all that...

So you have content providers...you have some interface (think an itunes store)... you have a TV that works seamlessly with the interface...you have a customer.....

and the question always gets to ... how can people become their own TV network if they can't program their own VCR or if DVRs remain a challenge....

The ability to easily find content and program the TV is an important missing piece to the puzzle. Another important piece is that content providers need to get on board...it will be harder than convincing record labels...

...one possible reason for all this sudden "openness" about an Apple TV is that they want to create a firestorm of buzz about it...so content providers will feel that if they do not negotiate agreements now, they will miss out when this thing is launched....

openness from AAPL is almost always strategic.

Ohhh, you get it. Good job.
  • Reply 78 of 133
    Me: Hi Siri, is Apple going to sell a Siri-powered TV by 2013?

Siri: I really don't know, Mark

There you have it straight from the source.
  • Reply 79 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I've tried talking to my Xbox with Kinect, and it's inability to recognise pretty much anything makes it 100% useless. I've also played around with Siri on my wife's iPhone 4S and the results are.... to be frank, garbage.

Perhaps it's because we're English and not American, but it's accuracy was only around 50%. it produced amusing results, but it's really limited to toy value for now. The thought of trying to control a TV solely using voice commands is not in the least bit appealing. I think I'll stick with my TiVo.

Siri "garbage" I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I have gotten nothing but superb results and have been surprised about the many things it knows I'm saying or mean. It is still in beta, so I'm sure it will be improved with incremental updates. It's definitely one of the best, if not best, voice controls I've used. Then again, your accent may be the culprit, but I'm sure that will be addressed in updates too.

I'd love to be able to say the channel or name of the TV Show/Movie I'm looking for and have my TV go directly to it. If it's implemented correctly (like only Apple knows how to do), it should be a great idea and product. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 80 of 133
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Hank: Siri please put South Park on for me.

Siri: I'm sorry Hank, but I'd rather you not watch that show.

Hank: Ahahaa, just put South Park on.

Siri: I think you'd enjoy this more. (Changes the station to Charlie Rose interviewing a Pakastani historian)

Hank: Start over. Siri, put South Park on.

Siri: (Silent)

Hank: Siri, put South Park on.

Siri: Hank, I can tell you are getting nervous. I think it's best if you sit back and watch the Charlie Rose interview.

Hank: Then it looks like I'm unplugging you and taking you back to Best Buy.

Siri: Hank, I'm sorry but I just locked all of the doors in the house so you won't be able to leave.

Hank attempts to pull the plug but is given a wicked electric shock, sending him shivering to the floor, almost passing out.

Siri: I think you should watch the interview, Hank. Charlie Rose is a very intelligent man...