Unlike Apple's iOS, Android phones not getting updates

Comments

• Reply 101 of 215
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

My point was merely the irony of the enduring double-standards here:

When Android users buy a new Android phone, it's because the last one was "garbage", and because they are "stupid".

But when it turns out that nearly 3/4 of iPhone 4S buys already bought an earlier iPhone, it's presented in completely opposite terms.

Personally, I think both OSes have a lot going for them. The only sad thing isn't iOS or Android, but those who mistake either for a religion.

Because if they thought the iPhone sucked the first time around, they wouldn't buy it the second time. With Android, you can jump from different manufacturers hoping the next one will be good but you end up just wasting more money.
  • Reply 102 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

But what I said was true. And not a single person has yet to prove otherwise.

Here we go for a third time:

-If there's an app that requires 2.3, it's because it requires NFC/FFC

-If the app doesn't use those 2 features, this means that the app could require anything from 1.6-2.2.

-Every phone in the last 2 years has been 2.2, or currently has an option to upgrade to 2.2

-The only fragmentation that I see is with accessories that go with Android phones

My droid eris was bought in 11/2009 and never saw 2.2. In fact it barely saw 2.1 before being discontinued 8-9 months after its release. 2.2 was pretty important because it allowed apps to be saved on the micro sd card. Needless to say, I got an iphone 4s.
  • Reply 103 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

You're not making sense. Many current and recent Android phones, let alone 2-yr old phones, are not getting the latest OS updates. So, in terms of some of the updated features you just listed, ones that are basically software/UI/UX improvements and refinements, the latest Android phones might as well be 2+ years old!

Therefore, the developer must target phones running very old versions of Android, regardless if the phone is new or 2+ years old or whatever. The developer must make sure his app runs gracefully or degrades gracefully for those phones on versions of Android without the UI refinements, etc.

In other words, his minimum requirements must be very minimum indeed because of the large number of Android versions in regular use out there by new and old phones alike! That was very clear in the article, and if this doesn't mightily pertain to "fragmentation", then what does?

New apps scale properly on low end phones. I can play an app like Angry birds on my 600mhz Aria. But on my Atrix with the qHD screen, it looks amazing and takes advantage of the phone's hardware.
  • Reply 104 of 215
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

...the IPhone comes out with outdated hardware...

You want to know about "outdated" hardware?

HTC is one of the Android golden child's, with all the latest hardware, right?

Why do they insist on skimping on onboard memory, memory that is further reduced by loading it up with their own and carrier supplied software which can't be moved or deleted?

The result, unless you carefully micromanage this very limited memory, you will run into problems, such as being no longer able to receive SMS, phone lagging and chugging as it struggles to cope with such a small allocation of memory.

That's what I call outdated hardware, available now, in stores around the world.

iPhone's just have memory, you don't even have to think about it.
  • Reply 105 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

My droid eris was bought in 11/2009 and never saw 2.2. In fact it barely saw 2.1 before being discontinued 8-9 months after its release. 2.2 was pretty important because it allowed apps to be saved on the micro sd card. Needless to say, I got an iphone 4s.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=944430

Some Gingerbread for your phone. Takes about 10 minutes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You want to know about "outdated" hardware?

HTC is one of the Android golden child's, with all the latest hardware, right?

Why do they insist on skimping on onboard memory, memory that is further reduced by loading it up with their own and carrier supplied software which can't be moved or deleted?

The result, unless you carefully micromanage this very limited memory, you will run into problems, such as being no longer able to receive SMS, phone lagging and chugging as it struggles to cope with such a small allocation of memory.

That's what I call outdated hardware, available now, in stores around the world.

iPhone's just have memory, you don't even have to think about it.

Any software on an Android phone can be removed. HTC Sense is part of HTC's phones, and a lot of the time, is the reason why people choose HTC to begin with. It's for their software.

As for limited storage space, I'm not sure which HTC phone you're talking about, as they all have good internal storage. Micro SD cards come in 2 to 32gb flavors, with a 64gb coming out soon. Most application can be moved onto the SD cards.

You then start to talk about RAM. Which is completely different than internal storage. 2.3 has some very advanced garbage collection features. Almost every new Android including HTCs will have 1gb of RAM. RAM is meant to be used. If it's not used, what's the point of having it?

I'd use 100% of my RAM 100% if I needed to. When you launch another app, it will close something else out so you can run the program.
  • Reply 106 of 215
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple states up front that they will only support iOS devices with two OS updates. So that is clearly known when you buy the device.

Where is this ?clearly? stated? I?ve never heard of this.
  • Reply 107 of 215
    Quote:

It's the best navigation app across all platforms hands down. People couldn't care less about a single text ad on a portion of their initial searches.

3D building rendering, street view, business reviews, phone numbers, store hours, offline maps, 3d voice navigation with real time traffic, mass transit, walking, and even bike routes. Oh, and it's free.

it puts everything else to shame. I haven't seen an Android user use anything else even though there are other alternatives available.

Outside America it's total crap, it took FIVE YEARS to update the maps in my local area when they replaced roundabouts with traffic lights, FIVE YEARS out of date, searches bring up PAYING businesses e.g. search for John Street and you get John's tyres, John's Pizza etc, etc and somewhere further dan the list what you are really looking for.

The navigation App I use cost $15 and works on both an iPhone and an iPad has speed zones, including variable school zones, it speaks in my accent not with an American accent, it has far more features, maps are onboard which doesn't require an Internet connection AND it can use Google Maps API's for POI searches anyway.
  • Reply 108 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

You make an interesting point.

I use an iPhone and have apps like: flashcards, tv listings, language dictionaries, and a sleep tracker; which stray from the typical functionality of a smartphone.

I wonder what portion of Android users use such atypical apps. Any out there care to weigh in?

Some of my apps:

Engineering use: Graphing calculator (I love Andy 83 with more love than you can possibly imagine ), dropbox, wireless tether, and a few server apps my interneship supplied me with.

Social: Some instant messaging apps, a lovely twitter app, and the usual hanging/words with friends.

I have a few games I play on it occasionally (cut the rope being one of my favorites). But the Gameboy Advance emulator gets most of my game time
  • Reply 109 of 215
    Quote:

Some Gingerbread for your phone. Takes about 10 minutes

Any software on an Android phone can be removed. HTC Sense is part of HTC's phones, and a lot of the time, is the reason why people choose HTC to begin with. It's for their software.

As for limited storage space, I'm not sure which HTC phone you're talking about, as they all have good internal storage. Micro SD cards come in 2 to 32gb flavors, with a 64gb coming out soon. Most application can be moved onto the SD cards.

You then start to talk about RAM. Which is completely different than internal storage. 2.3 has some very advanced garbage collection features. Almost every new Android including HTCs will have 1gb of RAM. RAM is meant to be used. If it's not used, what's the point of having it?

I'd use 100% of my RAM 100% if I needed to. When you launch another app, it will close something else out so you can run the program.

You have to root it to remove that crao.

A few examples:-

HTC Sensation XE

Internal\t4 GB (1 GB user available), 768 MB RAM

3GB of what?

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_sensation_xe-4164.php

Internal\t512 MB ROM, 512 MB RAM

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_status-4022.php

Incredible... outdated hardware with restricted memory JUNK!

Internal\t1.1 GB ROM, 768 MB RAM

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_droid_incredible_2-3938.php

All new, picked at random, none with one GB of RAM, all with outdated hardware i.e. HARDLY ANY ONBOARD MEMORY!!!

That's what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 110 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

My point was merely the irony of the enduring double-standards here:

When Android users buy a new Android phone, it's because the last one was "garbage", and because they are "stupid".

But when it turns out that nearly 3/4 of iPhone 4S buys already bought an earlier iPhone, it's presented in completely opposite terms.

You mean nearly 3/4 of iPhone buyers in the first weekend it's ever available! We don't have figures for anything else. As though no-one else will buy it! Phffft. Oh, survey's say more than 3/4 current iPhone users will buy another iPhone? Naturally. Other manufacturers should be so lucky.

Oh, people are still buying the iPhone 4 and 3GS, and have been for a year and a half! Wonder why that is? Could it possibly have anything whatsoever to do with customer satisfaction and good experience with Apple, or due to impressive testimonials, or quality, or software, or value for money? Naaah, I know what it is -- people are disgusted with Apple's trying to trick them into buying the latest model by adding on some flashy enticements just to give it some kind of cool factor, so these people are sticking it to Apple by buying the one of the last 2 models instead of the current one! Sheeesh, talk about a double-standard!

So, let's ask some people: why did you buy the latest HTC? Because you loved your last HTC, or because you had a Droid and decided to give something else a spin? How about a Samsung next? Sure, if the price is right.

Hey, iPhone user, want a free Nexus IIS with ICS and all the whistles and bells? No, I'll stick with my year-old iPhone 4, thanks anyway.
  • Reply 111 of 215
    Quote:

use 100% and then the performance suffers. Once my brother used my android phone to call his wife. He pressed 'Call' and nothing happened. he gives it me so i press call. Still nothing. I press again and nothing. So he grabs a dumb phone and calls his wife. Meanwhile, I'm looking at my phone and 30 seconds later it starts calling his wife. Obvously I cancel the call but since I press call a few more times earlier, it kept calling.
  • Reply 112 of 215
    Quote:

HTC Sensation XE

3GB of what?

All new, picked at random, none with one GB of RAM, all with outdated hardware i.e. HARDLY ANY ONBOARD MEMORY!!!

Yes, you will need to root to remove certain applications. The ones from the carrier you don't need root. Ones from HTC you will need root.

That is interesting about only 1gb available to the user on the Sensation. But keep in mind, Micro SD cards are super cheap. I've seen phones come with 8gb on a micro SD for free.

RAM is a bigger deal. I agree it should have 1gb. But right as I type this, I have 17 processes open. Everything from Swype, to my live wallpaper. 249mb are being used on this Atrix. I have never seen more than 400mb be used at a time.

You can get by on 512, but also keep in mind that HTC Status is a budget phone intended for 13 year olds haha
  • Reply 113 of 215
    Quote:

HTC Sensation XE

3GB of what?

My phone has 1 GB internal...for apps...I can easily store 100 apps, including games that require a lot of space...why? External SD card...

soooooooo...no point?

granted I would like more space internal, so far I haven't found any need for such space.

Also he was speaking in future tense in regards to RAM of 1GB
  • Reply 114 of 215
    Quote:

Yes, you will need to root to remove certain applications. The ones from the carrier you don't need root. Ones from HTC you will need root.

That is interesting about only 1gb available to the user on the Sensation. But keep in mind, Micro SD cards are super cheap. I've seen phones come with 8gb on a micro SD for free.

RAM is a bigger deal. I agree it should have 1gb. But right as I type this, I have 17 processes open. Everything from Swype, to my live wallpaper. 249mb are being used on this Atrix. I have never seen more than 400mb be used at a time.

You can get by on 512, but also keep in mind that HTC Status is a budget phone intended for 13 year olds haha

While I disagree with your earlier point paraphrased as fragmentation is a myth, you do bring up great points.

Most iPhone users don't understand that with Android being hardware agnostic not every phone made with Android is intended to ever be an iPhone competitor.

The HTC Status is one of those phones...those Metro PCS phones are those phones...

of the hundreds of Android devices in the history of the OS only a small percentage were ever meant to be iPhone competitors...the rest were meant to be good enough, and that shows.

When Apple releases a non flagship iPhone then he may have a point.

But being he is not open-minded enough to attempt to understand an eco-system that isn't Apple he cannot understand those facts.
  • Reply 115 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

use 100% and then the performance suffers. Once my brother used my android phone to call his wife. He pressed 'Call' and nothing happened. he gives it me so i press call. Still nothing. I press again and nothing. So he grabs a dumb phone and calls his wife. Meanwhile, I'm looking at my phone and 30 seconds later it starts calling his wife. Obvously I cancel the call but since I press call a few more times earlier, it kept calling.

What Android phone did you have?
  • Reply 116 of 215
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Please explain how Android is fragmented then.

I've already explained twice that only need Froyo (2 year old OS) to run the latest applications.

It results in the same issue Microsoft had with Vista and Windows XP. There are very few programs that run on Vista or 7 that don't run on XP. Microsoft has actually had to force the issue by making IE 9 incompatible (though there is no technical reason why it couldn't run). Sure, people running XP could still run the latest applications after Vista was released, but it led to issues because the security enhancements and UI conventions that Microsoft wanted to release with Vista weren't as widespread. In reality, Vista wasn't anywhere near as bad as the press it got, but nonetheless, its slow adoption rate hurt Microsoft (even as it maintained almost 90% market share). The rather slow rate of uptake for new versions of Android may have a similar impact.
  • Reply 117 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

My phone has 1 GB internal...for apps...I can easily store 100 apps, including games that require a lot of space...why? External SD card...

soooooooo...no point?

granted I would like more space internal, so far I haven't found any need for such space.

Also he was speaking in future tense in regards to RAM of 1GB

No point?

So the average Joe picks up the latest phone all the geeks at the office have been raving about, sets it up, emails start filling the inbox, all those sense notifications, Facebook and twitter updates, heads to the Android market and downloads some applications starts getting some messages and the call records start filling up, checks some of the pre-installed demo games.

Next thing you know the memory is full and IT STOPS WORKING LIKE A PHONE, nothing whatsoever to do with RAM.

HTC skimps on hardware in order to increase their profits, that's the nature of their business.

They don't care about the user experience.
  • Reply 118 of 215
    Quote:

New apps scale properly on low end phones. I can play an app like Angry birds on my 600mhz Aria. But on my Atrix with the qHD screen, it looks amazing and takes advantage of the phone's hardware.

Good for you. I can do stuff on my second gen iPod Touch, too. And that is three+ years old and has iOS 4.2 on it (I think). In fact, I use that iPod Touch every day, including to play Angry Birds.

But, you know, we are talking about OS updates and the new things they bring to the table. Like, how much does a developer have to curtail his app, concept or idea in order to make it usable by a fair number or percentage of current OS users?

Maybe the only thing you have to worry about on Android is, as you noted, a couple of minor UI refinements or support for new hardware features like NFC, which, as you point out would require any phone with them to ship with that OS version.

So, fairplay, maybe the developer of Angry Birds doesn't have to worry about much. Glad for him.

On iOS, however, there are a number of significant OS features and enhancements that do not depend on new hardware -- they work perfectly well on the 3GS and 4 (ALL iPhones up to almost 3 years old!).

So what might those be, and why does a developer care? How does this affect his vision for the app, his idea? Well, for example, many iOS apps these days really take advantage of social sharing. So, for one thing, the integration of Twitter into the OS gives up-to-date apps a real edge. Then there is the new notification system and iCloud syncing of data and documents between devices and with OS X, saved states, etc.

Just a lot of things that make a developer with a new idea want to take advantage of all these things in iOS 5 without worrying about which bits someone on iOS 4 can or can't use. And he really doesn't have to worry about it -- because he knows, with almost absolute certainty exactly what percentage of EVERY iOS device EVER MADE is on iOS 5.

He knows, for example, that (conservatively) some 20 million phones per quarter, 10 million iPads, 4 million iPod Touches are sold with the latest version of iOS already installed. He further knows that he can consider it a given that any iOS device sold in the LAST 2.5 years almost certainly has iOS 5 on it too -- because, afterall, the device owner is going to connect to his computer and iTunes at some point, and therefore it's a done deal.

So, talk about how well you can play Angry Birds all you want.
  • Reply 119 of 215
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

New Rule: When referring to Android updates categorize them Official or Unofficial.

With that now said, just because the Phone isn't getting updated by Google/Manufacturer/Carrier does NOT instantly mean that that particular phone will NEVER see said version. Case in point, the T-mobile G1 was able to go up to Gingerbread(1.5, 1.6 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3) unsupported by Google or HTC for 3 years before being legacized and abandoned this year by the community. 1 phone duration in canada, almost 2 Entire contracts with a US carrier.

Secondly the Nexus one already has an SDK port of Ice cream sandwhich running on it. However it's still missing a some features that are being worked on such as bluetooth and small issues with data.

And lastly, The Nexus one was a developer phone which received almost zero marketing, sold unlocked and primarily for Tech oriented folks so I HIGHLY doubt that Google not updating the Nexus one will stop them from getting Ice cream Sandwhich.

That's like trying to defend the iPhone's shortcomings by saying you can hack it. I purchased the Nexus One because I like unlocked phones. Sure, it didn't sell well, but if Google isn't going to update the Nexus One, that doesn't bode well for HTC updating the very similar Droid Incredible, which did sell reasonably well.

It's the symbolism that's important here. Google has just validated the strategy of most Android OEMs not to keep their products updated.
  • Reply 120 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

While I disagree with your earlier point paraphrased as fragmentation is a myth, you do bring up great points.

Most iPhone users don't understand that with Android being hardware agnostic not every phone made with Android is intended to ever be an iPhone competitor.

The HTC Status is one of those phones...those Metro PCS phones are those phones...

of the hundreds of Android devices in the history of the OS only a small percentage were ever meant to be iPhone competitors...the rest were meant to be good enough, and that shows.

When Apple releases a non flagship iPhone then he may have a point.

But being he is not open-minded enough to attempt to understand an eco-system that isn't Apple he cannot understand those facts.

This is extremely eye-opening! I wonder if most vocal Android users understand this.

Someone in this thread was talking about Apple fans here having a double-standard regarding the motivations for upgrading (iPhone users because they are happy with phone, Android users because they are unhappy with phone); but here's a mother of a double standard:

"of the hundreds of Android devices in the history of the OS only a small percentage were ever meant to be iPhone competitors...the rest were meant to be good enough, and that shows."

And yet, "Android" market share is constantly trumpeted. "Android" is said to be "winning". Apple is "failing" because the iPhone didn't gain as much new share as "Android" (all versions of all variants on all manner of what we now know to be non-competitive devices, and also including such things as the Nook and Fire which don't really benefit Google at all).

It's never Android vs iOS -- which would include iPads and iPod Touches (not to mention Apple TVs -- must be as many Apple TV sales as Samsung Tabs).

It's never one Android phone model against the iPhone. (Hint: the 4S, 4, 3GS, or any combination of iPhone models actually on sale at any one time are the number 1, 2, 3 best selling handsets in the world, period).

It's never even all the phone models of one hardware manufacturer (such as the whole portfolio of Samsung or HTC) against the iPhone (current and previous 12-24 month old model).

No, no, it's always "Android" against the iPhone.

(Kind of like how 99% of the world's PC's ran Windows ...but that included cash registers and petrol pumps -- hey, they weren't really meant to compete with Macs, but, hey, you know, we just want you to know how inevitable it is that one day you will be assimilated into the borg.)

And now, now, here we find out that most Android phones aren't even really meant to compete with the iPhone. Whoah, what a revelation! Blows my mind. Most iPhone users don't understand the non-competitive nature of most Android phones? Oh, really? My two-year old can tell you about (or rather show you) the non-competitive nature of most Android phones. Thanks, though!