Taiwan concerned Apple's slide-to-unlock patent could hurt market

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 119
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[Before swipe-to-unlock] you hit the large Menu button in the center of the giant keyboard [to unlock].

Actually a variety of "innovative" methods were used by manufacturers and could still be used. It's simply WEIRD to get hung up over the swipe-to-unlock patent. An Apple patent they should all be quivering over instead is the multi-touch interface on a capacitive display. And if Apple made a bigger deal about protecting this patent, they might also have a better chance at obtaining their desired trademark for Multitouch.
  • Reply 102 of 119
    This is just a giant Taiwanese company influencing the government through its puppets to fight a battle they cannot win.
  • Reply 103 of 119
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

But like I said, with so many companies following apples designs it's obvious that the "think different" ad campaign was appropriate then but not now.

Well then if everyone is copying now then it is even more important today to tell people to "think different".

Quote:

Edit: "lesser minds"? Not sure I see evidence of a greater mind in you're posts.

I post solely to impress you so that you can recognize my greatness...

Not!
  • Reply 104 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

Where does this show it was invented before the iPhones unlock. they had been working on the iPhone years before it was released.

For Apple, the patents themselves lay out the trail of filings for the unlock method: July 2002, Dec 2005, and January and June 2007.
  • Reply 105 of 119
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He directed the country's Ministry of Economic Affairs and Industrial Research Institute to look into the matter.

Translation:

He instructed relevant government officials to see how they can possibly alter laws that would nullify patents held by foreign corporations who threaten Taiwanese companies that prefer to copy technology rather than innovate their own.

To be fair, every country, even the USA, has this common moral failing. Human beings most often prefer to "protect their own" rather than "do what's right."
  • Reply 106 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Well then if everyone is copying now then it is even more important today to tell people to "think different".

I post solely to impress you so that you can recognize my greatness...

Not!

1. Reusing the think different campaign to get competitors to stop copying won't work and seems to me to be a bad idea.

2. Of course your posts aren't intended to impress me. You post generically about "lesser minds" to make yourself feel superior.

Edit: Although to be fair it is common for us doctors to have a superiority complex
  • Reply 107 of 119
    Quote:

"It just works" -- meh. Meant to appeal to the lesser minds.

Wow, and people call Apple elitists...
  • Reply 108 of 119
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It is also meant to appeal to the tech illiterates. Go to the Apple help website, and read the forums.

"It Just Works" is blatantly untrue.

Troll.
  • Reply 109 of 119
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

A Dutch court ruled an earlier Apple patent on the slide to unlock gesture was invalid because of prior art.

It was not ruled on it.

The judge stated, the registration could likely be invalidated due to prior art.
  • Reply 110 of 119
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Good luck, I can't think of any other touch screens using this method before Apple. Amazon successfully obtained a patent for one click purchasing. This is just as good.

Quote:

Taiwan may be scared, because HTC is a smaller fish. Samsung would simply go to court and invalidate the patent.

• Reply 111 of 119
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Problem is the Court didn't cite the prior art.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

It was not ruled on it.

The judge stated, the registration could likely be invalidated due to prior art.

• Reply 112 of 119
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igorleandro View Post

Meanwhile in a Taiwanese smartphone development department...

Boss: So, what other ideas do we have for unlocking a screen in a smartphone?

Designer: erm... **crickets**

Boss: COME ON!!!! Anything!!!

Designer: **opens Apple website and starts to look at it and sketch stuff on paper** **hands paper to boss**

Boss: Mmm... I like this...

And there we have it...

Seriously though, the fact that they say that a device without "slide to unlock" is not a smartphone is almost a statement of incompetence... Draw a circle, tap numbers in the corners, lick the ffffing thing, but please, stop copying as "the only option"...

+1

Three characters LOL
  • Reply 113 of 119
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Korea and Taiwan are both getting worried that the practise that their economy is based upon ?blatant copying ? is under threat and that the money may now begin to flow back to the U.S. rather than to them. They see this, rightly, as a problem for the future. Innovation is not an option. They want a world where people buy an "iPad" or "iPhone" only it is quietly branded by them and they owe nothing on IP or R&D. Apple is the first company who has stood up to this.
  • Reply 114 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Korea and Taiwan are both getting worried that the practise that their economy is based upon ?blatant copying ? is under threat and that the money may now begin to flow back to the U.S. rather than to them. They see this, rightly, as a problem for the future. Innovation is not an option. They want a world where people buy an "iPad" or "iPhone" only it is quietly branded by them and they owe nothing on IP or R&D. Apple is the first company who has stood up to this.

Or they feel a patent surrounding the idea of interacting with a touchscreen to unlock a device that is mostly touchscreen is ridiculous.
  • Reply 115 of 119
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Apparently if most people saw it first on Apple device, that means Apple owns it. It's not a novel idea of Apple's, but like all things they 'borrow' and bring to masses they will get credit along with exploitation rights.

No, it's actually more like they patented it fair and square, complying with the law. How can you fault any company for complying with the law and then enforcing their patents? Google is trying to do that now, too.
  • Reply 116 of 119
    I wonder what kind of uproar there would be if the US or UK government decided to argue against Taiwanese companies' patents?
  • Reply 117 of 119
    As Apple continues to innovate it is laying a continual mine field with each patent granted.... trying to get ahead of Apple innovation has not been a successful tactic by but a handful of situations... so the alternative is to steal ideas.... and pay the price down the road in discounted dollars....

This will go on for just so long and then the courts will ban these imitators completely, forcing innovation and R&D for those that want to survive.... all consumers will then benefit.

Apple just caught everyone flatfooted when the iPhone came out... look where Microsoft or Nokia are today, but have you noticed they had the smart's to step back analyze the situation, set a new timetable that in the end will keep them in the game (if their fingernails don't break in the meantime).

High fliers like Samsung, HTC who jumped on Android which Google provided "free" have high volume production.... much of it in violation of three concepts (look and feel, trade dress and various patented concepts/implementations. They will pay the price as long as they can until they can switch to Windows 8 or a propriety mobil OS.
  • Reply 118 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Gosh, I wonder what smartphones did before slide-to-unlock? I can't think of any solution!!!!

My old Treo 650 just turns on with a button and then you click another button to unlock it. The iPhone was the first to use slide to unlock in January of 2007. I'm GLAD Apple is getting rewarded these patents. It's about time. These companies have been producing bad copies for far too long.
  • Reply 119 of 119
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member