All prospects for an internal HP webOS largely destroyed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Mel, does dan show up here at all?

If you mean, on these other sites, then no. Articles on the business sites documenting this are all over the place.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yay! Godwin's Law! I win!

Yay! Ad-hom attacks! I win!

Yay! A personal vocabulary below that of my own in fifth grade!

Keeps getting better!

And the icing on the cake.

BRAVO! You've gone out on a high note!

NOW GET OUT.

Think I can see steam coming out of your ears. Do you throw a tantrum when you don't get your way? I wanna, I wanna, I Wanna Waahhhh....
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Thank gawd we never l elected Whitman for governor.

Yeah... you guys in California do a bang up job picking your governors. Well done...
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is what Metro is, WP8, not WP7. There have been some good technical articles about this on Ars Technica, and Anandtech, among others

Windows 8 has nothing to do with wp7 or wp8 when that comes out. they are completely separate.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:

The rumor is that Nikon is interested in buying WebOS. I have no idea why they would want it. They have no interest in phones or tablets. They don't make printers. There's no point in putting this into cameras, those are very specialized real time OS's. But, that's the latest word.

Really strange rumour, does defy logic
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:

If you mean, on these other sites, then no. Articles on the business sites documenting this are all over the place.

No I mean in the forums.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clamdigger63 View Post

Think I can see steam coming out of your ears. Do you throw a tantrum when you don't get your way? I wanna, I wanna, I Wanna Waahhhh....

Tallest Skill I can picture you now sitting smoking your pipe wearing you tweed jacket and little boy shorts....
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Just two months later, Kerris had abandoned HP, joining the ranks of other high profile webOS team members who had left HP for its competitors, including its user interface director Matias Duarte, who joined Google to work on Android just after the HP acquisition, and the creator of webOS's notification system Rich Dellinger, who joined Apple last summer to work on the Notification Center in iOS 5.

A tradition as old as Steve Wozniak leaving HP to start Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The departure of webOS employees from HP is accelerating, reportedly in large part due to the "sheer incompetence and bureaucratic malice" of HP's management, which has made little to no effort to retain webOS talent, according to a person familiar with the webOS team's situation, who added, "HP is going to have hundreds of smart and influential people scattered throughout the Valley who will be devoted to hating HP."

The incompetence of HP's management is apparent with the current turmoil over the PSG division, and the speed with which they abandoned webOS.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have no played with it but have heard it is a good OS. If HP don't want it they should sell it to someone who does, so the work isn't wasted, instead of just leaving it to rot.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Apple already made the bid when WebOS was still worth something. You know when all the management and engineers responsible for the product where on board and Palm was shipping product.

The sad thing is rumor was Apple was going to keep Palm Pre alive. It probably would have been away to battle Android when Apple was still stuck on just AT&T. Apple would have also acquired a lot of talented engineers out of the deal.

It isn't worth nearly as much now that the engineers aren't part of the deal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

WebOS is loaded up with lots of good patented stuff. I'd imagine Apple could buy WebOS and the related patents for in the neighborhood of $1 Billion.

That's a few days worth of profit... and adds significantly to their arsenal to go after Google with.

• Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:

"Along with the nebulous decision by Apotheker to rid HP of its PC business, the former chief executive also abruptly killed HP's mobile hardware business and moved the webOS software group from Bradley's PSG into HP's Office of Strategy and Technology."

HP has an Office of Strategy ?!?!?

So what was the strategy behind giving a new product (TouchPad) just a few weeks on the market? Then pissing off all your talented staff?

A wasted opportunity of Yahoo-esque proportions.

Mind blowing.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

WebOS is loaded up with lots of good patented stuff. I'd imagine Apple could buy WebOS and the related patents for in the neighborhood of $1 Billion.

That's a few days worth of profit... and adds significantly to their arsenal to go after Google with.

If it were really any good in terms of patents, Google would have bought it. They paid $12 B for Motorola Mobility with reports saying that patents were a large portion of that (although retained tax losses reduced the net price to something like $8 B, IIRC).

Google is in a bind wrt patents and would undoubtedly have bought it if they thought it was worth anything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You have to be joking. The marketplace has already told. Microsucks that no one wants their tablets. That's why they have been a huge failure even after being on the market for years. There is nothing to suggest that W8 versions will fare any better.

The marketplace has decided that conventional Windows tablets (full blown OS, x86, etc) aren't what everyone wants. I think Microsoft has learned their lesson and understands that there's a place for a media consumption device that doesn't run a full x86 Windows. If they do that, there's every chance that a Windows tablet might be successful.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I actually like metro, I think it works well. It's different, its more basic, but for many people I think it will be good enough. There are millions of people who buy android not because it is good, but because it is available and affordable. Shove a Windows Phone in front of those same people and they would buy it instead of android. Plus WP is better executed than android (less of a resource hog, more design, better execution aside from nexus line).

Metro works well on xbox as well, though feels very out of place on Windows 8 (or is it the desktop environment that is out of place?)

Honestly I think MS has a chance if they execute well and actually ship some awesome hardware some time soon before android gains momentum in tablet space.

Yeah, that'll happen when it's 72 degrees, clear sky and mild breezes in hades.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palourde-excavateur63 View Post

Regardez-moi que je peux trouver quelqu'un interdits parce qu'ils ne sont pas d'accord avec moi.

No, you're just about the saddest person I've ever had the misfortune to know. It's really depressing how you carry on.

It's not about disagreeing, it's about your old account being nothing but Apple-bashing. You want to Apple-bash, go to a Microsoft or Google forum and masturbate your ego with the people there.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 56 of 74
    deleted
  • Reply 57 of 74
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Yeah, choosing a body builder in an expensive irregular election to fix a budget problem that only got worse was not the best choice.

But please keep in mind that CA is not only the world's eighth-largest economy, but also pays far more into the federal coffers than it takes, in stark contrast to a majority of red states.

So for all its imperfections, California makes red states possible. Until those red states get their acts together to be able to pay their own way through life they are beholden to California.

If this numeric fact is embarrassing for red staters, I encourage them to do us both a favor and force CA in secession. As an independent nation, unencumbered with having to pay for the red states, it would certainly be no worse off than it is.

Amen. I'm a bit of a supporter of letting the south secede from the union. My only fear is them starting a war against the rest of the US because they seem to have all the military bases nowadays.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Yeah, choosing a body builder in an expensive irregular election to fix a budget problem that only got worse was not the best choice.

But please keep in mind that CA is not only the world's eighth-largest economy, but also pays far more into the federal coffers than it takes, in stark contrast to a majority of red states.

So for all its imperfections, California makes red states possible. Until those red states get their acts together to be able to pay their own way through life they are beholden to California.

If this numeric fact is embarrassing for red staters, I encourage them to do us both a favor and force CA in secession. As an independent nation, unencumbered with having to pay for the red states, it would certainly be no worse off than it is.

• Reply 59 of 74
    deleted
  • Reply 60 of 74
    I have tried HP tablet with this webOS and I am really surprised about the quality of it. It can be compared to Android version that is installed in Amazon Kindle Fire, the same lack of functionality but with better design.

I think that HP should look for way how they can save this division as tablet market is emerging and within few years they could probably exceed the market share of PC's as most of the PC users don't need most of the functions offered by PC and they can stick to tablet.

This is short term thinking I guess