Building a gaming PC; need advice!!!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Ok, sorry about that. I have a lot on my mind right now.....
  • Reply 42 of 67
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    You are gonna screw up that dude's PC sooo bad.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Why do you say that?
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Because I wanted to give you a hard time.

That's all.

Have fun!
  • Reply 45 of 67
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    about that sytem not starting up. first, did you get any beeps at all, or just nothing?

second, have you tried removing every single card, resetting the CMOS (flip on the power switch then to drain the capacitors) and then trying again?

i've had weird stuff happen to machines before where they wouldn't boot for no reason. turned out taking out all the cards, resetting etc. and they would suddenly work fine.

never quite did figure out why....

and yeah, that dual athlon system is going to be really, really messed up by the time he's done. he he, sounds like my younger cousin who's just getting into building PC's. knows just enough to be dangerous.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    2 things, and PC geeks feel free to correct me:

1. Get A Tyan Tiger MP, put one Athlon XP 1800 in it for now. (it will work w/ one processor)

2. When feeling wealthy and self-indulgent, buy another one. They'll be cheaper in all liklihood, too.

Don't bother with Athlon MP's, which are virtually identical, and cost much more.

Yes, Tiger, yes XP's and MP's a basically interchangeable. You can put an MP in a single board, or two XP's on a dual.

Two XP's in a dual will take about a 0.5% performance hit. I believe you can also use dual durons on the same MP board.

All of athlons chips are basically the same chip.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]about that sytem not starting up. first, did you get any beeps at all, or just nothing?

second, have you tried removing every single card, resetting the CMOS (flip on the power switch then to drain the capacitors) and then trying again?

i've had weird stuff happen to machines before where they wouldn't boot for no reason. turned out taking out all the cards, resetting etc. and they would suddenly work fine.

never quite did figure out why....<hr></blockquote>

No beeps. However, I have not hooked up a speaker to it...doesn't the case (after all, it has a case header labeled "speaker") have a crappy little system speaker?

I have resetted the CMOS, and I haven't even bothered installing anything but mobo, CPU, RAM, and Video card. Obviously if I take out my video card I'm not going to get any video, so I haven't tried that.

I've switched the RAM into a different slot, reseated the HSF, reseated the graphics card about twenty times, cleaned the graphics card, etc etc. The motherboard gives the successful boot post code, so I'm pretty sure it's either the graphics or this PSU problem Eskimo is talking about. My new graphics card should be here tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I'm getting a new PSU.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Good thing this is a gaming PC. If you needed it to get work done you would have lost a ton of money by now.

I guess you'd probably make it up down the road with such a fast FPS rate though.

Sorry, couldn't resist the rub.

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 49 of 67
    ok, first make sure you have one of those crappy little internal speakers installed. the beeps they give you let you know what's wrong with your machine.

in this case, there are a series of beeps for no video card, so you'd know right away if that was the problem w/o having to send it back to the manf.

second, take out everything and reset the CMOS, making sure to unplug any wires running into the computer.

turn it on (unplugged)

wait about 10-15 min. then turn it off, plug everything back in, and start adding memory and cards.

i have to stress that you really need to check on that internal speaker. often times new computers won't come with one, but they're very useful when trying to diagnose problems when a machine won't boot.

i think no video card is two short beeps, but you might want to check online about that.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    [quote]i have to stress that you really need to check on that internal speaker. often times new computers won't come with one, but they're very useful when trying to diagnose problems when a machine won't boot.<hr></blockquote>

Will some headphones or such work if I plug them into the headphone jack, or regular PC speakers? If not, then what the hell is the wire from my case labeled "speaker" going to that plugs into the motherboard? If they didn't include a speaker in the case then I'd assume they wouldn't bother making a cable for it.

Also, if there was a beep code indicating a problem, wouldn't it also give a failed POST code?

Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 51 of 67
    plugging in a headphone jack won't do anything. it's the wire running from the motherboard to a speaker. it should be in there somewhere, although i'm surprised you can't see it.

you should get at least some beep from it if it's powering up. if nothing else you should get a loooong beep.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    I just double checked the speaker. It is indeed hooked up. No beeps. I also just got my new GeForce. Does not do a damn thing.

I'm starting to get convinced that it is the PSU. All connections are correct. Unless my mobo or something is fried, that's gotta be it.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    I just tried taking the stick of RAM out.

Nothing changed...no beeps or change in the POST code.

It's gotta be the PSU...unless my mobo is busted or something...
  • Reply 54 of 67
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    CompUSA had their 400W Antec PSU on sale for like $79.99 last I looked.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    did you follow my above instrustions exactly?

the reason i ask is that a power supply frying is unusual, although not unheard of. you should have at least been able to start it up, then hear it pop and smoke a bit though if it were fried.

unless you follow the above steps exactly it won't work. you can't just take out a RAM stick and think it will start up. you need to reset the CMOS, discharge all electricity in the board etc. for it to make a difference. i've had something very similar happen to me before, and that was how i got it working.

could be a power supply, just not likely. an easy way to test it is to run the MB off another power supply. that would show you real quick if it's the MB or not.

also, when you turn it on, does the PSU turn just a fraction then shut off, or is there absolutly nothing?
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I tried another few things by the advice of some Arsians. One, I took the CPU/Mobo/RAM/Video card out of the case, and rested it on top of the chassis over some antistatic bagging that was included with the EPoX when I bought it. I also recieved my RMAed video card and tried that, no luck.

I double checked the case headers just in case so I wouldn't miss out on any beeping. They were fine. I checked the BIOS chip to make sure it was securely in. it was fine. Undid the HSF to make sure the Athlon wasn't fried. It was fine. Moved the RAM to a different slot. Resetted the CMOS. Argh! Nothing changes at all.

If I took out a vital component like the RAM, wouldn't it at least give a beep code or a different POST code? That's why I tried it...If the motherboard could figure out something was screwy then it could be considered functioning.

I reseated the video card at least 100 times, tried loosening it a bit, etc. Nothing.

I looked up the boot code again. FFh is defined as one of these things (plus success, I guess, as Eskimo said):

BIOS Loose

Add-On card Loose

Mainboard Problem

I checked the BIOS and it's certainly fine. The video card I have tried so many different ways and with two GTS-Vs that I doubt that could be it.

Another possibility is perhaps my motherboard is dead? That would certainly suck because my 30 Day RMA period from NewEgg ran out three days ago.

Eskimo: Meh, I'm not paying $80 for a 400W PSU...NewEgg has a 350W Sparkle for $45 that should be fine.

One rare possibility: The voltage is set to 220W on my PSU, and therefore is fscking things up. There is a red slider on the PSU to change voltages...however, you can't really tell which it is set to. Plus, setting my PSU to the wrong voltage can't be good.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    change the voltage, esp. if that PSU is known to ship at the wrong one. that's by far the most likely possibility at this point. should survive ok, but i'd make sure to take all the cards/ram out of it first.

just to be safe.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    [quote]but i'd make sure to take all the cards/ram out of it first.<hr></blockquote>

Including the CPU? Ermm, how will I even know it works without the Memory and Video card?
  • Reply 59 of 67
    just the CPU. if it works, the fans will spin up. after that, add the ram. boot it.

listen for error beeps.

after that, add the video.

listen for error beeps.

then add a HD.

keep going piece by piece until it works or you know where the problem lies.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    It's your PSU, like I said I had the exact same probs when I built a computer with that case/power supply. At 220V it will still spin your cpu and chipset fans btw. So don't go by that as a judge. Last time I looked it was clearly marked in white letters what voltage it was set to on the red slider. If you can see 110 then it is set to 110, if you can see 220 then it is set to 220.

[quote]Eskimo: Meh, I'm not paying $80 for a 400W PSU...NewEgg has a 350W Sparkle for $45 that should be fine.

<hr></blockquote>

I mentioned that because CompUSA has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. In otherwise if you suspect it might be the PSU just go grab one of these, plug it in and see if your system boots. At least then you'll know the exact cause for your problems.