YouTube adds over 100 new channels in Google's bid for the living room

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of a major Google TV overhaul, YouTube has announced over 100 new channels as Google pushes for a stronger presence in consumers' living rooms.

It was reported on Friday that YouTube will launch more than 100 channels of exclusive content from media companies and celebrities as Google pushes to expand its online video presence and bolster the company's floundering TV platform, reports the Wall Street Journal. News of YouTube's original content initiative came mere hours after Google issued a major update to its Google TV software.

The new channels, scheduled to be launched in waves starting this fall, will generate about 25 hours of original content each day featuring exclusive videos from providers like Thomson Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, Jay-Z and Madonna. Channels will span 19 categories targeted at specific audiences, such as music and health, sports and animal lovers.

"This depth of content is something the Internet industry has lusted after for years," said David Cohen, an executive vice president at media-buying agency Universal McCann. "This is clearly the most audacious original programming initiative for the Internet, and it capitalizes on the trend of creating niche programming, thinking about people's passions and creating communities around them,"

According to the Journal, Google has paid over $100 million in advances to obtain the original content, and will share 55 percent of ad revenue with providers after the initial investment is recovered. Under the terms of the revenue sharing plan, videos must remain YouTube exclusives for 18 months and can only be removed from Google after three years.

Some TV and cable executives see Google's initiative as a threat to business because the companies will be vying for the same advertisers, however Google said the channels will complement current TV programming and are meant to raise the overall quality of videos online.

Along with the daily original content, YouTube will offer about 20 hours of "library TV," which consists of previously broadcast shows or existing footage from network and cable outlets. Most networks have blocked the content they post on their own websites from being on Google TV, and it is unclear which existing shows will be uploaded to the platform.

Aside from being available online, the new channels are planned to be funneled onto TV sets through devices running the recently updated Google TV software, which now includes a new YouTube app. Currently only certain Sony products and the Logitech Revue support the platform, however AppleInsider previously reported that Google may be looking to launch its own set-top box when its upcoming acquisition of Motorola Mobility is finalized.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    We are seeing the competitive race for content streaming in your home. I would say that Netflix better get it together because there are others working really hard to compete in this arena. Apple TV already has YouTube for free. Some of the Youtube content on Apple TV (which is free) has episodes that you can get with a membership on Netflix. Look out Netflix. Youtube, google are on the ball. You better try to stay ahead. If Apple sends an update to the Apple TV that allows Premium YouTube and possibly HuLu then Netflix will see major competition.

I personally prefer Netflix myself. But if there comes along something better for the same price I am gonna bail on them.

If Apple comes out with an Apple Television in 2012 or 13 I see that changing the whole arena and causing an evolution in the living room streaming content. We will see.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

We are seeing the competitive race for content streaming in your home. I would say that Netflix better get it together because there are others working really hard to compete in this arena.

Netflix only has older content. Hulu can have content as early as the day after it airs, but there is no consistency. You never know if it will be there the next day, but gone in two weeks, not show up for two weeks, have a full season available or some odd pairing of episodes. It's a mess.

Whoever can get deals for current TV and make it consistent will have an advantage. Luckily for Apple, in-spite of their success in music which has scared off the networks in the past, Google seems to have so little concern for content owners that Apple may have a chance to get them on their side.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple will never make a television.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Netflix only has older content. Hulu can have content as early as the day after it airs, but there is no consistency. You never know if it will be there the next day, but gone in two weeks, not show up for two weeks, have a full season available or some odd pairing of episodes. It's a mess.

Whoever can get deals for current TV and make it consistent will have an advantage. Luckily for Apple, in-spite of their success in music which has scared off the networks in the past, Google seems to have so little concern for content owners that Apple may have a chance to get them on their side.

Thats probably why Apple has not put HuLu into the Apple TV. Even if you pay for the Premium HuLu you still get commercial breaks. A agree with you on this.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple will never make a television.

What about all the rumors and talk that Steve Jobs had broke into the Apple Television. It was mentioned in the biography and by Apple Insider as well as Mac Rumors.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    Quote:

Thats probably why Apple has not put HuLu into the Apple TV. Even if you pay for the Premium HuLu you still get commercial breaks. A agree with you on this.

I don't mind commercial breaks on Hulu Premium. We pay for cable/sat access and most channels are riddled with commercial breaks. Hell, we even pay for access to local content that would pull from the air if we simply choose to, but having it as part of our cable/sat package is more convenient.

My problem with Hulu Premium is their lack of desire or ability to make sure there is consistency between what has recently aired and what they have to stream.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Quote:

Luckily for Apple, in-spite of their success in music which has scared off the networks in the past, Google seems to have so little concern for content owners that Apple may have a chance to get them on their side.

That's thanks to Steve Jobs' business sense. On a personal level I have no doubt Steve Jobs didn't care for the content guys, but he had the sense to play smart chess with them with regards Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Quote:

What about all the rumors and talk that Steve Jobs had broke into the Apple Television. It was mentioned in the biography and by Apple Insider as well as Mac Rumors.

Lol, you took the bait. Just to be clear: I have been predicting an Apple Television, aka iTV around here for 5 years now. Some of the guys get onto me saying "next year, eh?" etc., but I stayed firm and remained convinced of my views on the matter, and now it seems to be getting closer and closer.

An important point to note is how high a percentage of members around here laughed at the very thought that Apple might build an actual television. I was called all sort of things; one of them being "arrogant" for my conviction of belief that this would happen. And my view point that people who don't think this will happen "just don't get it" remains the same. To me, the whole idea of Apple building a TV was and is so inevitable it's prically comical that we even need to debate the matter.

It's just like the iPhone; they basically have no choice because others will do it and they'll eat Apple's lunch - and the living room too.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    Quote:

That's thanks to Steve Jobs' business sense. On a personal level I have no doubt Steve Jobs didn't care for the content guys, but he had the sense to play smart chess with them with regards Apple.

Steve Jobs was a "content guy". Remember Pixar? I doubt he'd want anyone stealing that content.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:

Lol, you took the bait.

I don't see it as Bait. I see what I see. We will, see, if it ever comes to past.

Oh wait. Apple will never make a Television. No they won't. They will have out sourced factories make it for them.

You may have been predicting a television by Apple but only Steve was the one who knew of its demise. Now we have to wait and see don't we. In fact the bait is pretty nice looking from what I hear. Nice big juicy worm for the Apple. LOL.

In Walter Isaacson's biography, poised to be the bestseller this year, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs hinted, just prior to his passing, that work on building a full-fledged television set with a new interface was in full swing. For years, Jobs had also reportedly been pushing engineers at Apple to develop a new interface for living room TVs.

Web Link.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2394...2013-steve.htm

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/27/...n-set-by-2013/
  • Reply 11 of 84
    Quote:

Steve Jobs was a "content guy". Remember Pixar? I doubt he'd want anyone stealing that content.

I didn't mean that.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Quote:

I don't see it as Bait. I see what I see. We will, see, if it ever comes to past.

Oh wait. Apple will never make a Television. No they won't. They will have out sourced factories make it for them.

You may have been predicting a television by Apple but only Steve was the one who knew of its demise. Now we have to wait and see don't we. In fact the bait is pretty nice looking from what I hear. Nice big juicy worm for the Apple. LOL.

In Walter Isaacson's biography, poised to be the bestseller this year, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs hinted, just prior to his passing, that work on building a full-fledged television set with a new interface was in full swing. For years, Jobs had also reportedly been pushing engineers at Apple to develop a new interface for living room TVs.

Web Link.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2394...2013-steve.htm

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/27/...n-set-by-2013/

We all know this.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    Quote:

We all know this.

And you were telling me Apple will never make a television. And I took the bait. Well this is my reply man. You take us to be stupid and you being the savant? Really we don't need to be reminded how great you are.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    I think it would be amazing for YOUTUBE to add some world content channel like www.cultureunplugged.com and its FILM FESTIVAL TV channel for documentaries on social issues. It is premium content and would be a great platform for youtube to have it on its line-up. Also should have Al JAZEERA stream also in it, very powerful stuff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Coming on the heels of a major Google TV overhaul, YouTube has announced over 100 new channels as Google pushes for a stronger presence in consumers' living rooms.

It was reported on Friday that YouTube will launch more than 100 channels of exclusive content from media companies and celebrities as Google pushes to expand its online video presence and bolster the company's floundering TV platform, reports the Wall Street Journal. News of YouTube's original content initiative came mere hours after Google issued a major update to its Google TV software.

The new channels, scheduled to be launched in waves starting this fall, will generate about 25 hours of original content each day featuring exclusive videos from providers like Thomson Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, Jay-Z and Madonna. Channels will span 19 categories targeted at specific audiences, such as music and health, sports and animal lovers.

"This depth of content is something the Internet industry has lusted after for years," said David Cohen, an executive vice president at media-buying agency Universal McCann. "This is clearly the most audacious original programming initiative for the Internet, and it capitalizes on the trend of creating niche programming, thinking about people's passions and creating communities around them,"

According to the Journal, Google has paid over $100 million in advances to obtain the original content, and will share 55 percent of ad revenue with providers after the initial investment is recovered. Under the terms of the revenue sharing plan, videos must remain YouTube exclusives for 18 months and can only be removed from Google after three years.

Some TV and cable executives see Google's initiative as a threat to business because the companies will be vying for the same advertisers, however Google said the channels will complement current TV programming and are meant to raise the overall quality of videos online.

Along with the daily original content, YouTube will offer about 20 hours of "library TV," which consists of previously broadcast shows or existing footage from network and cable outlets. Most networks have blocked the content they post on their own websites from being on Google TV, and it is unclear which existing shows will be uploaded to the platform.

Aside from being available online, the new channels are planned to be funneled onto TV sets through devices running the recently updated Google TV software, which now includes a new YouTube app. Currently only certain Sony products and the Logitech Revue support the platform, however AppleInsider previously reported that Google may be looking to launch its own set-top box when its upcoming acquisition of Motorola Mobility is finalized.

• Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:

And you were telling me Apple will never make a television. And I took the bait. Well this is my reply man. You take us to be stupid and you being the savant? Really we don't need to be reminded how great you are.

Quit making an ass of yourself.

This whole content this is mind boggling. Why is this so hard? I pay 100 a month for internet and about 6 channels I actually want (I get maybe 200, and thats "basic" +HD). The first company to pull their head out of their asses and offer me anything close to a desirable format gets my money.

If it weren't for my wife I'd have cancelled cable a long time ago.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    OK. So they plan to make money on TV ads but they don't really have a TV platform. How will this Channel model scale globally, legally and in a manageable fashion. Like youTube + GoogleTV?

They want to keep the TV model that exist today except they want to streaming it?

Content wise, they will have legal problems, quality problems, scaling nation wide problems, not to mention internationally.

Google keeps rushing to market with half baked engineering ideas without management thinking them through. They will end up with a huge bloated mess that is much worse than today's GoogleTV.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    The Steve Jobs quotes from the book Steve Jobs-

"I'd like to create an integrated television set that is completely easy to use."

"It would be seamlessly synced with all your devices and with iCloud."

"It will be the simplest interface you could possible imagine. I've finally cracked it"

Isaacson inferred that remotes would not be needed for DVDs or cable channels etc

Pretty cryptic IMO. Lot of people are reading a lot into these quotes (and offering 'bait'... Geesh). My guess, and that's all it is, an ATV with multiple hdmi inputs and Siri option to navigate sources and only ATV content.

IF its a TV set, I can't see them 'just' doing that. Just like Giggles, do both stand alone and integrated.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    OK. So they plan to make money on TV ads but they don't really have a TV platform. How will this Channel model scale globally, legally and in a manageable fashion. Like youTube?

They are keeping the same TV model that exist today except they are streaming it. Content wise, they will have legal problems, quality problems, scaling nation wide problems, not to mention internationally.

Google keeps rushing to market with half baked engineering ideas without management thinking them through. They will end up with a huge bloated mess that is much worse than today's GoogleTV.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    100 channels????

Yikes, considering the rubbish that's out there, 100 more channels of bilge seems a boon only to couch potatoes. While it would facilitate local programming in developing regions of the world, the quality in the developed countries has slipped to the point of silliness. Who is going to be watching the next Big Brother, or X factor, or other sheit that they ram down our throats? Yeah, I'll buy an apple tv, but it will be as pristine as the box I left behind in the US, in '05. Read a book, feed your brains. TV watching has been linked to Alzheimer's disease
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

If it weren't for my wife I'd have cancelled cable a long time ago.

Me Too.