Barnes & Noble expected to launch new Nook tablet on Nov. 7

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Book seller Barnes & Noble is expected to unveil a new tablet to compete with Amazon's Kindle line and Apple's iPad through a "very special announcement" at an event on Monday, Nov. 7.

The Nook maker sent out invitations for the event on Monday, as noted by The L.A. Times. The launch will take place at 10:00 AM Eastern in New York.

"Please join us for a very special announcement," the invite read, while also displaying the "N" logo for its line of Nook e-readers and tablets. The report noted that the event will probably see an update to the company's Nook Color tablet.

The Nook Color received a software update in April that enabled new apps beyond just reading, such as email, a web browser and games. Currently the e-reader is based on Google's Android mobile operating system.

Barnes & Noble released a new Nook black-and-white e-reader with a touchscreen e-ink display in May.

The company revealed earlier this year that it expects Nook and e-book sales to double during its fiscal year, which ends next April, to $1.8 billion. The Nook is currently the No. 2 e-reader behind only Amazon's Kindle.

The book seller is in the midst of fierce competition with Amazon and Apple for control of the tablet and e-reader market. Rival Amazon took the wraps of its much-anticipated Kindle Fire tablet and new e-reader models, in September.

Though some have pointed to the Kindle Fire's low $199 price as a threat to Apple, several analysts have dismissed the Fire as targeting a different market than the iPad. J.P. Morgan analyst Mark Moskowitz called claims that the Fire will quickly propel Amazon to become the No. 2 tablet maker as mere "noise."

The online retailer's strategy appears to be to sell its hardware at a low profit margin or a loss in hopes of making money off of content and special offers on the device. Even as Amazon is building "millions more" Kindle Fire units than originally expected, the company projected its fourth quarter earnings to fall to as much as a $200 million loss.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple may seek to counter 7-inch devices such as the Amazon Kindle Fire and the Nook Color with a so-called "iPad mini" in 2012. Last month, one report claimed LG Display and AU Optronics are supplying Apple with 7.85-inch screens for the iPad.

Apple continues to be on a tear with the iPad, selling a record 11.12 million tablets during the most recent September quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I really love this. Not the tablet but the competition of it all. I see this as constant improvement to already great products. True, Apple set the bar. But its really fun to watch the competition. I welcome the new tablet. I can't wait to see the iPad 3 next year.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Some say the Kindle Fire will not affect iPad sales. Some say it will.

The fact of matter is that some consumers will choose the Kindle Fire over the iPad. The question is how significant will this population be. For sure, it won't be zero.

The Nook, on the other hand, is smack in Amazon's bullseye, at least as a first target. Even though I will never buy one, I am still intrigued to see what they have in store.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Am I the only one who is more intrigued as to what kind of breakfast they will offer than any technological achievement they have devised with a "me too" Nook tablet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The fact of matter is that some consumers will choose the Kindle Fire over the iPad. The question is how significant will this population be. For sure, it won't be zero.

I predict the upcoming Kindle Fire will be a success for Amazon and increase long term sales of the iPad. My reasoning: the $500 starting proce of the iPad might be too much for some to warrant a device they don't think they really need, but $199 might be fine. After they get a "starter" tablet they might see just how useful it can be and decide to further increase that utility with an iPad.

Sent from my iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Am I the only one who is more intrigued as to what kind of breakfast they will offer than any technological achievement they have devised with a "me too" Nook tablet?

I predict the upcoming Kindle Fire will be a success for Amazon and increase long term sales of the iPad. My reasoning: the $500 starting proce of the iPad might be too much for some to warrant a device they don't think they really need, but $199 might be fine. After they get a "starter" tablet they might see just how useful it can be and decide to further increase that utility with an iPad.

Sent from my iPad.

I agree on the benefit to iPads. I saw the same 'starter' concept play out many times in the iPod arena years ago. Many friends and relatives wouldn't pony up for an iPod instead buying various far cheaper MP3 players. Over time they all obtained iPods either as gifts or they convinced themselves it was worth the extra.

p.s. Is it only me that wishes the iPad keyboard had arrow keys?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:

Sent from my iPad.

I doubt it. The Fire is not an iPad Touch and the iPad is no iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree on the benefit to iPads. I saw the same 'starter' concept play out many times in the iPod arena years ago. Many friends and relatives wouldn't pony up for an iPod instead buying various far cheaper MP3 players. Over time they all obtained iPods either as gifts or they convinced themselves it was worth the extra.

Arrow keys? LOL. You need to read the Steve Jobs bio and learn what he thought of arrow keys on the Mac, never mind a tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I doubt it. The Fire is not an iPad Touch and the iPad is no iPhone.

IPad Touch? When's it coming out?

Many iPad users use their device solely for consumption. If the Kindle Fire browser is decent, and Amazon supplies enough apps to keep the device interesting. Somebody will choose this over the iPad because of the price alone, because Amazon has as good an ecosystem as Apple (albeit different strengths and weaknesses) and because Amazon is a pretty accomplished marketer.

Quote:

Sent from my iPad.

B&N has done a good job with the Nook and it sells in half-decent numbers. The fact that they're introducing something new so soon after the Kindle Fire suggests it could be interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Book seller Barnes & Noble is expected to unveil a new tablet to compete with Amazon's Kindle line and Apple's iPad through a "very special announcement" at an event on Monday, Nov. 7.

The Nook Color is awesome! I hope that they release something even better!

What do you guys think? Will it be a new top-of-the-line model, or will it be something else?

Hey - if the new tablet is any good, maybe we will be able to add Barnes and Noble to our Enemies List, alongside Google and Amazon. Sweet!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The Nook Color is awesome! I hope that they release something even better!

What do you guys think? Will it be a new top-of-the-line model, or will it be something else?

Hey - if the new tablet is any good, maybe we will be able to add Barnes and Noble to our Enemies List, alongside Google and Amazon. Sweet!

What happened to you, dude? You used to write sensible stuff, and came out with good arguments, whether they were pro and against Apple's position. Now, you're just being a goof.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Nook, schnook, gobbledygook ....

It'll FAIL just like every other tablet that goes up against iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The Nook, on the other hand, is smack in Amazon's bullseye, at least as a first target. Even though I will never buy one, I am still intrigued to see what they have in store.

+1 here.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    I think that the real significance of the Fire and the Nook is the role they will play in encouraging (read "forcing") publishers to make ALL their content available in e-book format. What Apple, Amazon, and now perhaps even B&N have learned is that it isn't about the device itself, it's about getting market penetration with the device as a portal to compelling content.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I think that the real significance of the Fire and the Nook is the role they will play in encouraging (read "forcing") publishers to make ALL their content available in e-book format. What Apple, Amazon, and now perhaps even B&N have learned is that it isn't about the device itself, it's about getting market penetration with the device as a portal to compelling content.

Having bought "Steve Jobs" in both print and eBook I can testify that the tangible book is so much better. You can clearly see Steve Jobs design work all over this.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Nice point about iPods. That's exactly how I imagine it will play out.

As for arrow keys on the iPad I don't get that. What I would like is the ability to quickly slide the cursor in text field over a space, word or line by using simple gestures.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Now you're trolling at the fifth-grade level. You're a big boy now!
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

Nook, schnook, gobbledygook ....

It'll FAIL just like every other tablet that goes up against iPad.

The Nook is already a successful product. Should really keep up with news and facts before attempting mockery.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Having bought "Steve Jobs" in both print and eBook I can testify that the tangible book is so much better. You can clearly see Steve Jobs design work all over this.

All over the cover, don't you mean? Jobs had little to do with the organization of the contents. If he did, he would have been appalled. Various mistakes, particularly in description of products and technology. Rehashing of old Apple tales. He would not have been pleased, IMO.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Specs for the Nook 2 leaked. Dual core 1.2 Ghz OMAP 4, 1GB RAM, 16GB + SD card.

http://androidos.in/2011/11/nook-col...n-kindle-fire/

Nice really. Decisions, decisions. Netflix vs Amazon Prime. I guess if you can sideload Netflix I'll get the Fire. The odds I'll be able to watch Amazon Prime video on the nook are low.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Specs for the Nook 2 leaked. Dual core 1.2 Ghz OMAP 4, 1GB RAM, 16GB + SD card.

http://androidos.in/2011/11/nook-col...n-kindle-fire/

Nice really. Decisions, decisions. Netflix vs Amazon Prime. I guess if you can sideload Netflix I'll get the Fire. The odds I'll be able to watch Amazon Prime video on the nook are low.

Thanks for the link and info. Looks like a decent job and I think it will do alright, but the Kindle Fire looks like a much better overall product, especially on playing video.

As for Netflix, that might be on the Fire come launch day?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    It's a bit shallow, but I think the Nook just looks better...
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

It's a bit shallow, but I think the Nook just looks better...

I didn't look at the pics of the aesthetics. I judged on specs alone.