Native iOS Gmail app from Google rumored to arrive soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I access my iCloud email on my work's Window XP machine. That is a non Apple device. In addition, Apple has an active policy of not selling your private information. If Apple was interested in making ad money, it would have monetized its online services a long time ago. That is one of the things that makes Apple unique.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaquekyd View Post

.ME email is not really cloud friendly, as its confined to an Apple device. You are right, to each his own. But, people are being niave by thinking that not using Facebook or Gmail, prevents you from having your information sold. The hospital you are born in sells your information to a 3rd party. There is nothing wrong , IN MY OPINION, for a company to use the information, that I provide, to supply me with advertisements based on that.

My point is that there seems to be an anti-Google stance, but i can almost guarantee you that there are users that bash Google, but use Facebook everyday. Apple operates iAd, which is exactly Googles model. They are not above this practice.

Google Apps, actually prevents this from happening, with its paid model.

• Reply 22 of 47
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

.ME email is not really cloud friendly, as its confined to an Apple device. You are right, to each his own. But, people are being niave by thinking that not using Facebook or Gmail, prevents you from having your information sold. The hospital you are born in sells your information to a 3rd party. There is nothing wrong , IN MY OPINION, for a company to use the information, that I provide, to supply me with advertisements based on that.

My point is that there seems to be an anti-Google stance, but i can almost guarantee you that there are users that bash Google, but use Facebook everyday. Apple operates iAd, which is exactly Googles model. They are not above this practice.

Google Apps, actually prevents this from happening, with its paid model.

Works perfectly find on a Windows machine as well. It is not 'Apple device' specific. I think the point is that Google's entire business model is to sell your info to advertisers. Arguably Facebooks is ad driven as well. Apple's is not, and the ads you do do see are 3rd party apps on a phone/iPad app, usually on the 'free' versions.

Apple's business isn't to sell your info. Google's is. Not hating, as it is what it is, and Google serves it's purpose (sells info for decent services). I don't think anyone has any illusions otherwise.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I access my iCloud email on my work's Window XP machine. That is a non Apple device. In addition, Apple has an active policy of not selling your private information. If Apple was interested in making ad money, it would have monetized its online services a long time ago. That is one of the things that makes Apple unique.

Apple IS interested in making ad money. they run iAd. also, gmail literally lives in the cloud and can be accessed from any browser on any device.

Also, Googles, doesnt sell or share your personally identifiably information. thats a myth as well.

I understand this is an Apple community, and you guys love Apple products and services. i personally feel that Gmail is a very robust and useful email system, that really makes my life easier because of the way they approach email. Thats my opinion.

No email is immune from spam, the more you use the address on the internet , the more spam will come. Google has done a great job with Priority features, i rarely see spam in my inbox.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Works perfectly find on a Windows machine as well. It is not 'Apple device' specific. I think the point is that Google's entire business model is to sell your info to advertisers. Arguably Facebooks is ad driven as well. Apple's is not, and the ads you do do see are 3rd party apps on a phone/iPad app, usually on the 'free' versions.

Apple's business isn't to sell your info. Google's is. Not hating, as it is what it is, and Google serves it's purpose (sells info for decent services). I don't think anyone has any illusions otherwise.

this is right from Google.

How does Google protect my privacy when it comes to advertising?

We make protecting privacy a priority by being clear about what information we collect and how we will use the information to show relevant ads, and by offering choices to consumers about what information to share with us. We also make it easy for you to view, manage and opt out of interest-based ads shown on AdSense partner sites, certain Google sites and also on Third Party and certain Google Applications and other clients. We will not collect, sell, or share personally identifying information from ad serving cookies without your explicit consent

iAd serves you ads in mobile applications, the exact same way.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Apple IS interested in making ad money. they run iAd. also, gmail literally lives in the cloud and can be accessed from any browser on any device.

Also, Googles, doesnt sell or share your personally identifiably information. thats a myth as well.

I understand this is an Apple community, and you guys love Apple products and services. i personally feel that Gmail is a very robust and useful email system, that really makes my life easier because of the way they approach email. Thats my opinion.

No email is immune from spam, the more you use the address on the internet , the more spam will come. Google has done a great job with Priority features, i rarely see spam in my inbox.

Apple provides iAD to developers. They don't force them to use it. @Me accounts are cloud as well. No difference there.

https://www.icloud.com/

Works from any machine.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Apple provides iAD to developers. They don't force them to use it. @Me accounts are cloud as well. No difference there.

https://www.icloud.com/

Works from any machine.

Apple is a hardware/software company first. Google is an internet company. completely different philosophy on advertising than Apple. Just saying that Apple is entering the same space that Google has built their business on. It doesnt mean Apple is good and Google is bad.

I can understand that you dont want to be part of that model, but the internet is a big place and its really difficult to use without running into that scenario. People have this idea that Google is doing something evil or bad. There are tons of NON internet companies doing the exact same thing.

iCloud email service, still doenst have parity with Gmail as far as being cloud based. You need Lion, or IOS5 to even access it. not the same as picking up any device with a browser and going to gmail.com, and reading your email.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Good. Gmail does not work well in iOS's 'Mail' app. Anyway, I want to separate Google's spam from my .mac email.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Apple is a hardware/software company first. Google is an internet company. completely different philosophy on advertising than Apple. Just saying that Apple is entering the same space that Google has built their business on. It doesnt mean Apple is good and Google is bad.

I can understand that you dont want to be part of that model, but the internet is a big place and its really difficult to use without running into that scenario. People have this idea that Google is doing something evil or bad. There are tons of NON internet companies doing the exact same thing.

iCloud email service, still doenst have parity with Gmail as far as being cloud based. You need Lion, or IOS5 to even access it. not the same as picking up any device with a browser and going to gmail.com, and reading your email.

You really should read up on iCloud man. It does not require Lion. Compatible with XP, Win7 as well, or you can just use a browser like gmail.

Try clicking the link above. You'll find it works just like any other browser based email. Even the bookmark sync works fine on XP/Win7.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

You really should read up on iCloud man. It does not require Lion. Compatible with XP, Win7 as well, or you can just use a browser like gmail.

Try clicking the link above. You'll find it works just like any other browser based email. Even the bookmark sync works fine on XP/Win7.

you cant set up icloud without lion or IOS 5. i got that information by clicking that link and trying to log in with my Apple Id.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

you cant set up icloud without lion or IOS 5. i got that information by clicking that link and trying to log in with my Apple Id.

Agreed, however, it works on any flavor of OS X or Windows after the setup. Only the setup itself requires the use (or at least access to) of iOS 5 or OS X 10.7.2. After setup, it doesn't matter.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After more than three years since Apple launched the App Store, Google is rumored to be on the verge of releasing a native iOS app for its Gmail service ... Siegler went on to note that tipsters have said the app looks "pretty fantastic…perhaps even surprisingly so." ...

If it is good it will be surprising. At least if by "good" one means "well designed."

I'm sure there are a lot of GMail addicts that will be happy to finally have all the overly complicated ugly features of GMail on their phone, but if it actually looks good and is a pleasure to use that would be only the second product Google makes make that is. (Google Plus being the first well-designed app I've ever seen from them).
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

After more than three years since Apple launched the App Store, Google is rumored to be on the verge of releasing a native iOS app for its Gmail service, according to a new report.

I use my Gmail account much more than @me. Using iCloud for a little while has me convinced Apple still doesn't get email. It is clunky and has so many features lacking. No priority email, labels, or folders. Even AOL Phoenix has far surpassed Apple's email (pretty pathetic if you ask me). The full features alone in Gmail are worth an additional app download, at least to me.

I primarily use my Gmail account on my desktop for it's ease of use and having a Google submitted app with push and most of the features from the desktop web site would be great. The mobile Safari gmail site is not exactly optimal for someone who prefers using native iOS apps.

Hotmail/Live, Yahoo, AOL, Gmail all have better email clients (and options) than Apple. The only difference is Apple's Mail app is integrated into iOS.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

"I believe it has already been submitted to Apple for review. If it gets approved, it should be out soon," he wrote, adding that he believes it will get approved.

Apple should just sit on it for months and months, pretending that they are "evaluating" it. Like they did with Google Voice (or was it with Google Latitude?) and that way they can pretend that they did not ever "reject" it.

Keeps the Antitrust crowd quiet.

• Reply 34 of 47
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If Apple was interested in making ad money, it would have monetized its online services a long time ago.

Apple craves ad money. They invested hundreds of millions into the failed iAd initiative, and reportedly lost potential customers due to interference in the creative process.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

this is right from Google.

How does Google protect my privacy when it comes to advertising?

We make protecting privacy a priority by being clear about what information we collect and how we will use the information to show relevant ads, and by offering choices to consumers about what information to share with us. We also make it easy for you to view, manage and opt out of interest-based ads shown on AdSense partner sites, certain Google sites and also on Third Party and certain Google Applications and other clients. We will not collect, sell, or share personally identifying information from ad serving cookies without your explicit consent

iAd serves you ads in mobile applications, the exact same way.

This is right from google CEO Eric Schmidt:

"google policy is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it"

However, he followed that by saying: "With your permission you give us more information about you, about your friends, and we can improve the quality of our searches. We don't need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you've been. We can more or less know what you're thinking about."

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the outer limits.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

However, he followed that by saying: "With your permission you give us more information about you, about your friends, and we can improve the quality of our searches. We don't need you to type at all. We know where you are. We know where you've been. We can more or less know what you're thinking about."

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the outer limits.

Thanks for the Outer Limits quote, I'm getting so old and confused, I can't even remember the TV shows I enjoyed in the 60s. I'm away to trawl YouTube now...
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The issue of privacy is very interesting dialog. I don't feel that Google is creepy, and if you know how Eric Schmit is, he always says dumb things like that, jokingly, but with dry humor. How we view our online privacy is different on a case by case basis. I personally dont mind having my information farmed to present better adverts. What is the harm to me as an end user? Foursquare, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and yes, Appple are all guilty of this practice. If the reason for not using Google services is to somehow remain private and keep your information away from advertising agencies, a lot of other things in a normal internet using person's life would have to change along with not using Google. You know, like not using an iphone that keeps track of your every move from the date of purchase, without informing customers.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackTheRat View Post

Thanks for the Outer Limits quote, I'm getting so old and confused, I can't even remember the TV shows I enjoyed in the 60s. I'm away to trawl YouTube now...

Where I grabbed that quote said all 49(?) episodes were on hulu.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I am not suggesting you shouldn't use Google's services if you are happy. I, however, am not happy. Google's business model is different then Apple's business model. With Apple you are the customer, and with Google you are the product. I also have had bad experience with Google.

First, Google's gmail servers where hacked, most likely by the Chinese government (according to the Wiki Leak cables). The next thing I know is I start getting email messages from my step father's gmail account that seemed like they were from him asking for monetary help, but weren't really from him. Further, he lost access to the account and five years worth of email with it. Google never helped him regain access.

Second, two months ago the same thing happened to me. All my contacts were sent a virus. I was able to regain access because Google changed its procedures to address hacked accounts. However, the account was compromised, and unlike with Apple, it is next to impossible to talk with a person.

Third, Google's whole purpose of providing any service is to make its search services more valuable to advertisers. Apple has iAds, but it isn't Apple's primary form of business, and Jobs publicly said its Cloud services were going to be ad free. I personally think iAd was just an attempt to put a hurt on Google's money making source.

Quote:

• Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

The issue of privacy is very interesting dialog. I don't feel that Google is creepy, and if you know how Eric Schmit is, he always says dumb things like that, jokingly, but with dry humor. How we view our online privacy is different on a case by case basis. I personally dont mind having my information farmed to present better adverts. What is the harm to me as an end user? Foursquare, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and yes, Appple are all guilty of this practice. If the reason for not using Google services is to somehow remain private and keep your information away from advertising agencies, a lot of other things in a normal internet using person's life would have to change along with not using Google. You know, like not using an iphone that keeps track of your every move from the date of purchase, without informing customers.

I don't see the humor, dry or otherwise. It actually seems like a pretty straight forward statement from an advertising company.