Native iOS Gmail app from Google rumored to arrive soon

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I don't see Apple being guilty of the practice. The iPhone doesn't track your every move unless you give an application permission to do so. Apple collects cell tower information to improve reception. Unlike the information Google collects, the information is not traceable to you. Further, there is a difference between collecting information to improve services to you, and collecting information to sell about you. On the other hands, carriers do track your location.

Moreover, Apple does disclose the practice in legal disclosures currently residing on all iOS devices that few people likely bother to read.

Google recently disclosed that it provides US or State government agencies requested information about users ninety percent of the time even without a Court warrant. The more information it collects, the more it has to offer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaquekyd View Post

The issue of privacy is very interesting dialog. I don't feel that Google is creepy, and if you know how Eric Schmit is, he always says dumb things like that, jokingly, but with dry humor. How we view our online privacy is different on a case by case basis. I personally dont mind having my information farmed to present better adverts. What is the harm to me as an end user? Foursquare, Facebook, Twitter, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and yes, Appple are all guilty of this practice. If the reason for not using Google services is to somehow remain private and keep your information away from advertising agencies, a lot of other things in a normal internet using person's life would have to change along with not using Google. You know, like not using an iphone that keeps track of your every move from the date of purchase, without informing customers.

• Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I am not suggesting you shouldn't use Google's services if you are happy. I, however, am not happy. Google's business model is different then Apple's business model. With Apple you are the customer, and with Google you are the product. I also have had bad experience with Google.

First, Google's gmail servers where hacked, most likely by the Chinese government (according to the Wiki Leak cables). The next thing I know is I start getting email messages from my step father's gmail account that seemed like they were from him asking for monetary help, but weren't really from him. Further, he lost access to the account and five years worth of email with it. Google never helped him regain access.

Second, two months ago the same thing happened to me. All my contacts were sent a virus. I was able to regain access because Google changed its procedures to address hacked accounts. However, the account was compromised, and unlike with Apple, it is next to impossible to talk with a person.

Third, Google's whole purpose of providing any service is to make its search services more valuable to advertisers. Apple has iAds, but it isn't Apple's primary form of business, and Jobs publicly said its Cloud services were going to be ad free. I personally think iAd was just an attempt to put a hurt on Google's money making source.

that sucks what happened to you and your dads accounts. but, its not inherently a Google problem, having emails and accounts hacked. There have been way more friends with Facebook hacks than i can remember friends with Google hacks. And, like you said, they have beefed up their security, allowing you to opt into services like text messsage authorizations.

Apple's accounts are not immune from being hacked. Granted, it hasnt happened yet , to my knowledge, so thats definately a positive. But they dont have nearly the same user base for mac mail as google has for Gmail. Google never came out and said they were anything else but a company who makes money off providing ads. Thats upfront to any consumer who chooses to use their services. The information they use to create ads, harms me in no way whatsoever. If im doing something online that i dont want Google to know, i dont do it through Google. I dont share pictures on their servers that i dont want them to have, i dotn have converations that i dont want on the internet.

Google is not throwing their users privacy to the wind , just to make a buck.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I don't see the humor, dry or otherwise. It actually seems like a pretty straight forward statement from an advertising company.

humor is hard to read in text. and again, Schmidt is known for such comments. regardless of that, my point is that there are agencies way scarier than google that freely distribute your information.

Are you a U.S. citizen? if so, you have way more to worry about than Google. The birth certificate is the worst terms of service you can ever sign.

And about the collection of the data, 90% of the requests from the U.S have been granted, but they have turned down many requests around the world. The requests from the U.S. are actually a really small amount(not making a case that this is ok) but the same type of requests are made to our ISPs and Phone carriers, but they dont release that information.

This is probably going to be my last post in this thread. I just wanted to offer a different point of view, to a seemingly biased discussion.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    No Apple is interested in keeping ad money from Google.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaquekyd View Post

Apple IS interested in making ad money. they run iAd.

• Reply 45 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

No Apple is interested in keeping ad money from Google.

I was thinking about the long term affects of services like Siri affecting Google's ad revenue and JObs saying he's going to destroy Android. It would be foolish for Jobs/Apple to go directly after Android since Google cares so little for it since it's not a profit center, but Apple breaking down Google's ability to gain profit from hundreds of million of iDevices would hurt Google. That's where n attach should take place. At least, that's how I'd go after Android, indirectly as to keep Google from being able to fund or focus on their loss-leader project.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a recently released biography, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs vowed to "destroy Android" after handset maker HTC released an Android smartphone that he felt stole his company's innovations.

"I don't want your money. If you offer me $5 billion, I won't want it. I've got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that's all I want," Jobs reportedly told Schmidt during a meeting in 2010.

What does this have to do with the article?

Also, I see no reason why it would have Google+ integration seeing as how the native Android application doesn't have anything like that.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Google are trying to wean people away from standards-based implementations, much the same way Microsoft did in the nineties and naughties.

Use what you like, but bear in mind that Google are first and foremost interested in mining your personal info, while Apple are trying to sell you toys. There's a big difference. iAd serves as a tool to provide app developers with in income stream through free apps, Google ads are Google's own income stream. To Apple, you are the customer; to Google, you are the product.

.tsooJ