Apple misses October deadline for launch of new iTunes Match service

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Dunno what is a minor gripe and what is a relevant point. But several other posters have listed some things which seem like problems of execution to me.

Could be that they happened DESPITE Cook's unrivaled expertise. There's really no way to know.

But I've never really understood how Cook got his reputation WRT execution.

No, you clearly don't. Why not go research it then?

How do you think Apple's supply chain got working so well?

Who do you think had the foresight to secure supplies of flash RAM for all of Apple's devices?
  • Reply 42 of 98
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Dunno what is a minor gripe and what is a relevant point. But several other posters have listed some things which seem like problems of execution to me.

Could be that they happened DESPITE Cook's unrivaled expertise. There's really no way to know.

I can't imagine SJ thinking so highly of him and his abilities if it wasn't true. He surrounded himself with nothing but "A" players.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

Please excuse my ignorance on how iTunes Match works exactly.

As I understand it, iTunes Match looks through your iTunes library and matches the songs you have with songs already in iCloud. So for example, your have Michael Jackson's "Beat It" in your library and iTunes Match make that available in iCloud for you.

My question is: how does it prevent people from creating 'fake' audio tracks in their iTunes libraries by calling a bogus audio track "Beat It" (artist name: Michael Jackson) and tricking iTunes Match into thinking that you actually have and own "Beat It"??

Did that even make sense??

Yes, that's a good question. And I suspect I can answer the question with another question:

How does the Shazam app know what song is on the radio when you hold your iPhone up to it?
  • Reply 44 of 98
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

While I don't doubt you had some problems with yours, my iPad was fine and so were all the other ones my friends and family bought. Or are you referring to iPad 2.

iPad2 - what else? iPad 1 had no such issue.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

And I had to return my PBG4 because some keys fell off. Then, I had to return my late '08 MBP because it had a screen flicker at the 2 or 3 lowest brightness settings. Big deal. Your bad iPad proves nothing about Cook.

Poor reply- has nothing to do with manufacturing. iPad 2 screens were not vented properly- pure Cooks fault.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    OK. I did a little searching and found some things about ITM that are a little disappointing.

1. ALL music in your library is automatically included in the match. If iTunes identifies it correctly it associates it with a 256k version already stored on Apple's servers. If not, it copies the file as it is to the cloud (I imagine that would be true even of lossless). It appears that for many developers it is only matching a small percentage of their libraries. but again, if it is in your library it gets added, one way or the other.

2. There is no way to delete from the cloud. Example: I have the spooky halloween sounds tracks in my library so that I can burn a CD. I forgot to delete it before scanning. Now it is in my cloud library forever. (this might change, but that's how it is now)

3. Combining 1 and 2 gives you some crappy experiences. Example: I have an album that is on the iTunes store, but I have it tagged wrong so it doesn't get matched. That means my version gets copied. I fix the tags and rescan. Now it matches, but doesn't delete my old one, so now I have the album listed twice. And I can't tell which is which until I download it.

Looking around the Internet I see that there are still LOTS of issues where things either aren't working right, or the design at present is frustrating users. So, I'm guessing that Apple got lots of feedback from developers who don't like some things about the service in addition to bugs. I may actually hold off now seeing how it is implemented.
  • Reply 47 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I'm going to go ahead and give Apple a little exemption here: launching an Internet service that is as intensive as iCloud to millions of iOS users is very very hard to do perfectly. If you have any background in programming or server management you would understand. And compared to how badly it could have gone, iCloud went great and it boggles my mind how Apple was able to do such a thing.

Gasp! You and your "rational thinking"

• Reply 48 of 98
    kavokkavok Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

I got it, it sucks. It been almost month and my library is still not finished uploading. As a matter of fact, I'd like my money back.

Um.... it's called a BETA for a reason....
  • Reply 49 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

iPad2 - what else? iPad 1 had no such issue.

This really doesn't prove anything, but I'm holding an iPad 2 in my hand with a dark image being displayed and I looks perfectly fine to me. There might be the faintest hint of a little bleeding along the left edge, but I'm talking really faint. I had to turn the lights off in my office to make it pitch black (no windows) just to begin to be able to see it.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:

Poor reply- has nothing to do with manufacturing. iPad 2 screens were not vented properly- pure Cooks fault.

Poor reply? How is my flickering back-light not a manufacturing problem? It was either faulty from the supplier (manufacturing problem), something happened in assembly (manufacturing problem) or there was a problem with the dimming circuit. The iPad 2 screen sounds like LG's fault. Why do you have such a hard-on for Cook anyway?
  • Reply 51 of 98
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yes, that's a good question. And I suspect I can answer the question with another question:

How does the Shazam app know what song is on the radio when you hold your iPhone up to it?

That doesn't quite answer it though. What's to prevent you from saving the 30'' preview from Amazon or iTunes, looping it so that the song duration matches (+/- 1 sec), re-sampling to 44.1 KHz, compressing at 128kbps, and updating the album info in the MP3 tags from an internet database (all of this via a script, of course).

Oh, I know: because it would be easier (and just as illegal) to torrent the mp3s.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

I got it, it sucks. It been almost month and my library is still not finished uploading. As a matter of fact, I'd like my money back.

Yeah, believable. First, if you have it? You are a developer, correct? Or, at minimum, signed up to be considered an Apple Developer. In which case you (1) are griping about non released, test level software/services that (2) not only did you not pay extra for, but, if I remember correctly, are being given a free amount of time (I can't remember exactly) with the service following launch, correct?

Sounds like a good deal to me.

I've said it before, and I will say it again...

I have not had any experience with iTunes Match yet, and am looking forward to it, but...

I'm not sure I would jump to any conclusions while a brand new service was in beta and only available to developers. I would also bet that the first month or two will be a bit less than perfect. There is limited testing that can be done to simulate real world demands.

When I got the first seed of Lion, it was slow, many of the great/magical new features were so painful to use that I didn't use them, etc.

That is what testing is for. As someone with advance access to new features, I would assume you understood that.

You, of course, have valid issues. Have you documented them and filed them with Apple?

And I will add, If you haven't documented these issues and filed them with Apple, why not? you found the time to come here and tell us your opinion of the service.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

No, you clearly don't. Why not go research it then?

How do you think Apple's supply chain got working so well?

Who do you think had the foresight to secure supplies of flash RAM for all of Apple's devices?

Supply chain management, yes. Cook deserves huge amounts of respect for that.

But execution? That's my question.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If one of your best friends was at home not likely to make it through the night because he was dying of terminal cancer, you might not be in great spirits either.

Quote:

Lousy keynote

• Reply 55 of 98
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

A gripe is that a launch was a few days late, that an iPad doesn't work, etc. I think you know.

By your previous comment you give the impression you know what you are talking about - i.e., what it is Tim Cook does and exactly why he is so highly regarded. Surely you didn't question his ability because of a faulty Pad and crappy keyboard?

A brief summary;

"Mr. Timothy D. Cook, Tim has been the Chief Executive Officer of Apple Inc. (formerly known as Apple Computer Inc.) since August 24, 2011. Prior to that, Mr. Cook served as Chief Operating Officer of Apple Inc. from October 14, 2005 to August 24, 2011. Mr. Cook served as the Head of Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh division and played a key role in the continued development of strategic reseller and supplier relationships. He served as an Executive Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Operations of Apple Computer Inc. from 2002 to 2005. He joined Apple Computer Inc. in 1998, as Senior Vice President of worldwide operations. Prior to that, Mr. Cook served as Vice President of Corporate Materials for Compaq Computer Corporation ('Compaq') from 1997 to 1998 and was responsible for procuring and managing its product inventory. Previous to his work at Compaq Computer Corporation, he served as Chief Operating Officer of the Reseller Division of Intelligent Electronics. Mr. Cook also spent 12 years with IBM, served as Director of North American Fulfillment, where he led manufacturing and distribution functions for IBM's Personal Computer Company in North and Latin America. Mr. Cook has been a Director of Apple Inc. since August 24, 2011. He has been a Director of Nike Inc. since November 2005. Mr. Cook studied an MBA from Duke University, where he was a Fuqua Scholar and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Industrial Engineering from Auburn University."

And an easy to find link to Wikipedia
  • Reply 56 of 98
  • Reply 57 of 98
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Why the Philippines?

Why not, say, Detroit?

Because Detroit has an outstanding art/design school:

http://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/
  • Reply 58 of 98
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The troll score so far

Out of 55 posts, 33 are from the regular professional trolls or from people making useless replies to trolls. (You repliers should have figured it out by now. And I'm not counting DrDoppio who has been chopping at them with some wit.)

The nonissue of Tim Cook's competence is answered in the AI story today about bringing the iPhone 4S to 15 more countries, including Hong Kong. There has never been such a rollout of an expensive life-changing computer product in the history of the world. That's Tim Cook in action.

And I really liked his keynote, before I knew of Steve's condition. He wasted not a single word, all bombshells about fabulous sales figures and prospects and "momentum," spaced by pregnant pauses so each piece of amazement could sink in. To ordinary, receptive, reasonable minds, that is, not to the haters that we hear from here on AI.

Interestingly, in the thread about the good-news story about 15 new countries, there is nothing from iKol and ComradeJoe. Yet. Get over there and get busy guys, surely you can find something negative to say.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

The troll score so far

Out of 55 posts, 33 are from the regular professional trolls or from useless replies to trolls. (You repliers should have figured it out by now. And I'm not counting DrDoppio who has been chopping at them with some wit.)

Point taken. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

"The trolls, they are a trollin"
  • Reply 60 of 98
    There ya go assuming again. In order to take part in the free beta, you have to buy a year of the unreleased service. Sucks in beta, period. It's a service, yes. Will it work? Maybe some day. It's value? Debatable. Stellar, mind-numbing Apple offering? Nah.

I am glad Steve's not here to see this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

Yeah, believable. First, if you have it? You are a developer, correct? Or, at minimum, signed up to be considered an Apple Developer. In which case you (1) are griping about non released, test level software/services that (2) not only did you not pay extra for, but, if I remember correctly, are being given a free amount of time (I can't remember exactly) with the service following launch, correct?

Sounds like a good deal to me.