Apple misses October deadline for launch of new iTunes Match service

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Point taken. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

"The trolls, they are a trollin"

I know, I'm on record as having dirtied my hands with their trash myself. I'm beginning think this is being tolerated by the mods because of hit count.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theoldcoot View Post

My suggestion to all you "chopping at the bit". Relax.

Chomping, not chopping. A reference to impatient horses...
  • Reply 63 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Chomping, not chopping. A reference to impatient horses...

Champing, actually... just saying...
  • Reply 64 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I know, I'm on record as having dirtied my hands with their trash myself. I'm beginning think this is being tolerated by the mods because of hit count.

Hmmmmm... you must have a great mind!

That idea crossed my thoughts yesterday...
  • Reply 65 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmmmm... you must have a great mind!

That idea crossed my thoughts yesterday...

Ha!

Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep . . .
  • Reply 66 of 98
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

The troll score so far

Out of 55 posts, 33 are from the regular professional trolls or from people making useless replies to trolls. (You repliers should have figured it out by now. And I'm not counting DrDoppio who has been chopping at them with some wit.)

Thanks, I appreciate the honorary mention.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    As the question of Tim Cook came up (above) I looked and found this. Interesting read about the man.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/09/tech...tune/index.htm
  • Reply 68 of 98
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

White iPhone 4 delay

Delayed iPads for months

Bleeding iPad screens of death

Lousy keynote

Lost the head of retail operations

F*ck it, it's worth the ban.

YOU SIR, ARE A F*CKING TROLLING C*NT.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

OK. I did a little searching and found some things about ITM that are a little disappointing.

1. ALL music in your library is automatically included in the match. If iTunes identifies it correctly it associates it with a 256k version already stored on Apple's servers. If not, it copies the file as it is to the cloud (I imagine that would be true even of lossless). It appears that for many developers it is only matching a small percentage of their libraries. but again, if it is in your library it gets added, one way or the other.

Yes, matches are made even if tracks are lossless. Are you suggesting this a problem because you're dissatisfied with having access to only 256K versions on your iDevices? (The full version is still in your iTunes master library and you can also choose not to use iTunes Match for syncing music to iDevices on an individual basis).

Quote:

2. There is no way to delete from the cloud. Example: I have the spooky halloween sounds tracks in my library so that I can burn a CD. I forgot to delete it before scanning. Now it is in my cloud library forever. (this might change, but that's how it is now)

After deleting the songs, if you toggled off/on iTunes Match for your master library and iDevices and the song remains in the iCloud, then this looks like a bug.

Quote:

3. Combining 1 and 2 gives you some crappy experiences. Example: I have an album that is on the iTunes store, but I have it tagged wrong so it doesn't get matched. That means my version gets copied. I fix the tags and rescan. Now it matches, but doesn't delete my old one, so now I have the album listed twice. And I can't tell which is which until I download it.

See response to (2) above.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yes, matches are made even if tracks are lossless. Are you suggesting this a problem because you're dissatisfied with having access to only 256K versions on your iDevices? (The full version is still in your iTunes master library and you can also choose not to use iTunes Match for syncing music to iDevices on an individual basis).

Actually, it was the opposite I was concerned about. If I had a Lossless file that match could not find because it was tagged wrong which then caused me to have to upload the lossless file. If match finds the songs, then no bandwidth or time is used, but if not, then I end up uploading a lossless file to the cloud then then have to download it to my device. And I don't really want lossless on my iPhone or iPod.

I like the general idea of match, because on my main machine I have most of my music in lossless. but on my MBP, iPhone, and iPod it is all 256k AAC. So, it works for me, I'm just concerned that the service will not match my lossless albums and I'll end up with giant amounts of data going back and forth because of it. Simply adding a checkbox for matching would be all I need, or allowing deletion from the could, but at this point, that does not appear to exist.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

MobileMe was just a minor upgrade to .mac

Apple are not good at this. iCloud have many of the same problems that MobileMe haves. The problem is that the management without Steve accept non perfect products.

Iphone4S: Battery time 1/4 of the old iPhone4. I get a bit over 3 hours when using WiFi

OSX 10.7 is the worst OSX version. The memory leaks are ridiculous.

Apples arrogance: I have a MacPro 1.1 with upgraded CPUs. Have worked every single OS, except 10.7. Apple have decided that people who upgrade their machines have "non supported CPUs". Somehow this worked with 10.4-5-6.

iCloud. I have about 10 devices that sync. I have exact the same problem I had with MobileMe. iCloud can't manage to decide witch device that have the latest Bookmarks. So iCloud ads the same bookmarks to Safari. 10x with the same bookmarks. The fun thing is that Safari uses 100% CPU time when it sync. I try to delete the added bookmarks as fast as I can, but as soon I power on another iOS device, so syncs those bookmarks out.

Every product you mentioned was created while Steve Jobs was CEO. He wasn't a perfect batter but he hit a lot of grand slams.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

MobileMe was just a minor upgrade to .mac

Apple are not good at this. iCloud have many of the same problems that MobileMe haves. The problem is that the management without Steve accept non perfect products.

Iphone4S: Battery time 1/4 of the old iPhone4. I get a bit over 3 hours when using WiFi

OSX 10.7 is the worst OSX version. The memory leaks are ridiculous.

Apples arrogance: I have a MacPro 1.1 with upgraded CPUs. Have worked every single OS, except 10.7. Apple have decided that people who upgrade their machines have "non supported CPUs". Somehow this worked with 10.4-5-6.

iCloud. I have about 10 devices that sync. I have exact the same problem I had with MobileMe. iCloud can't manage to decide witch device that have the latest Bookmarks. So iCloud ads the same bookmarks to Safari. 10x with the same bookmarks. The fun thing is that Safari uses 100% CPU time when it sync. I try to delete the added bookmarks as fast as I can, but as soon I power on another iOS device, so syncs those bookmarks out.

For all those problems and you still buy Apple. Sounds like you should go Wintel Samsung.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

[B]

Interestingly, in the thread about the good-news story about 15 new countries, there is nothing from iKol and ComradeJoe. Yet. Get over there and get busy guys, surely you can find something negative to say.

For every iKol there's a Tallest Skil.... It all evens out in the wash. I just cut the fat and read the meat.

I can't wait for iTunes match. iCloud has been great so far for me- a few bugs, but expected.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

. . . it's worth the ban . . .

My sentiments exactly. If they ban you, I'm next.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

For every iKol there's a Tallest Skil.... It all evens out in the wash. I just cut the fat and read the meat.

I can't wait for iTunes match. iCloud has been great so far for me- a few bugs, but expected.

Thanks, you are right, but the fat content has gotten much thicker lately.

Apple's ascendancy has whoever's behind this new campaign more determined to totally wreck the only decent, halfway sane Apple news forum. I know, I take it too seriously, but it's a shame and a disgrace.
  • Reply 76 of 98
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If one of your best friends was at home not likely to make it through the night because he was dying of terminal cancer, you might not be in great spirits either.

He a terrible speaker- go look up his eulogy to Steve Jobs. Absolutely zero charisma- needs to take a crash course in public speaking immediately.

He makes Jony Ive's speech sound like Winston Churchill.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:

Thanks, you are right, but the fat content has gotten much thicker lately.

Apple's ascendancy has whoever's behind this new campaign more determined to totally wreck the only decent, halfway sane Apple news forum. I know, I take it too seriously, but it's a shame and a disgrace.

You take yourself much too seriously. The only reason things were civil around here the last month was because 3 out of every 4 threads dealt with Steve Jobs' death and were commented on accordingly out of respect. Move on.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    The "Ignore List" in the "User Control Panel" does wonders for me.

When someone writes 3 or 4 unreasonable posts I just add them to the list. It seems like within a few weeks of someone making my list, they disappear anyway. I suppose all the trolls are the same 3 or 4 people getting new usernames when nobody answers them.

Quote:

The troll score so far

Out of 55 posts, 33 are from the regular professional trolls or from people making useless replies to trolls. (You repliers should have figured it out by now. And I'm not counting DrDoppio who has been chopping at them with some wit.)

The nonissue of Tim Cook's competence is answered in the AI story today about bringing the iPhone 4S to 15 more countries, including Hong Kong. There has never been such a rollout of an expensive life-changing computer product in the history of the world. That's Tim Cook in action.

And I really liked his keynote, before I knew of Steve's condition. He wasted not a single word, all bombshells about fabulous sales figures and prospects and "momentum," spaced by pregnant pauses so each piece of amazement could sink in. To ordinary, receptive, reasonable minds, that is, not to the haters that we hear from here on AI.

Interestingly, in the thread about the good-news story about 15 new countries, there is nothing from iKol and ComradeJoe. Yet. Get over there and get busy guys, surely you can find something negative to say.

• Reply 79 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Champing, actually... just saying...

Either spelling is correct, actually . . . just saying . . .
  • Reply 80 of 98
    See . . .

All three are already on my ignore list (iKol, CJ, and TS [TS has actually been on it for months. Someone must like him.])

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post