paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grmac View Post

Do not awaken StylusGuy!

Oh no... not StylusGuy!
  • Reply 42 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

There is absolutely no reason for BMW to be concerned about anything that Chevrolet comes out with, even though BMW and Chevrolet are both cars.

I honestly do not think people get the concept of market share. No one is claiming the Fire will put Apple out of business, the claim is that it will chew into market share, hence be a threat. Anything that takes away sales is a threat. Remember, Chevy owns Cadillac, which does directly compete against BMW, does very well and cuts well into BMW's sales.
  • Reply 43 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

So not being able to run Android apps on an Android tablet is only going to affect "power user"s? Huh? That makes zero sense. Fragmentation of a platform affects all users of said platform.

What you fail to understand is that this is an Amazon tablet that is powered by Android, not an Android tablet. Amazon has great plans for this, all powered by apps from Amazon utilizing Amazon's eco system. This is an Amazon platform, not an Android one. Amazon has been very clear on how it plans to control this device.
  • Reply 44 of 129
    While I agree completely that the Kindle Fire will fragment Android and always be a weird intermediate tablet - not as good as the iPad - That 200 dollar price point is HUGE.. Honestly - it plays videos, some games, browses the web, of course reads books.. I think it's going to do really well because it's actually affordable. Especially with holiday season coming up, 500$ is a LOT to spend on a gift for anyone, but 200 is reasonable.
  • Reply 45 of 129
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

It doesn't have the Android Market, either.

Bingo. That is a huge difference, and a huge different set of expectations. Hellacool says something similar:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

What you fail to understand is that this is an Amazon tablet that is powered by Android, not an Android tablet. Amazon has great plans for this, all powered by apps from Amazon utilizing Amazon's eco system. This is an Amazon platform, not an Android one. Amazon has been very clear on how it plans to control this device.

• Reply 46 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

So you agree, the is an android tablet. So developers now have to target yet another android tablet device while developing. Thanks for confirming my point. Fragmentation is fragmentation.
  • Reply 47 of 129
    It is a few lines of code for more market sales so the real concern for developers is those nicking their APPS.

Obviously success at 7" guarantees a 10" launch later.
  • Reply 48 of 129
    Quote:

So you agree, the is an android tablet. So developers now have to target yet another android tablet device while developing. Thanks for confirming my point. Fragmentation is fragmentation.

No, developers have not been invited. The only developers will be Amazon developers. Again, this is an Amazon tablet, not an Android tablet. It will have the Amazon market not Android market. It just HAPPENS to run a highly modified version of Android, like the Mac runs a highly modified version of Unix.
  • Reply 49 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You should contact Apple's advertising department. They always use practical examples to sell their stuff.

"Want to display a life-sized penis on your tablet? The iPad can do that!"

I'm going to need a larger screen iPad then...
  • Reply 50 of 129
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Developers don't have to do anything that they don't want to do.

Some will be paid by Amazon, some will be able to turn a profit by developing for the Fire, and some will stay away.

I would expect that the software selection will be limited compared to other tablets, but that lots of the most popular stuff will be available, so long as it doesn't compete with Amazon's paid offerings. No Netflix app, I wouldn't imagine, nor one for any proprietary format that B&N may have.

The simple, popular stuff will be well-covered, I would guess.
  • Reply 51 of 129
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:

You still don't get it. What does it matter if it's an Android tablet? Developer can target whatever devices they want, but if it's the amazon app store (which is the only one that Amazon will officially support for the Fire) then it's most likely going to 'just work' with the Fire. This 'fragmentation' talk is pure nonsense, especially considering that Amazon plans to keep their tablet in their own little walled garden. In reality, Amazon is exploiting the open source nature of Android while simultaneously leveraging off of their own ecosystem.
  • Reply 52 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

You still don't get it. What does it matter if it's an Android tablet? Developer can target whatever devices they want, but if it's the amazon app store (which is the only one that Amazon will officially support for the Fire) then it's most likely going to 'just work' with the Fire. This 'fragmentation' talk is pure nonsense, especially considering that Amazon plans to keep their tablet in their own little walled garden. In reality, Amazon is exploiting the open source nature of Android while simultaneously leveraging off of their own ecosystem.

This +1, the only thing being fragmented is the Tablet market, this is ONE MORE tablet developers will have to develop for. Problem is we make that sound like a bad thing. If developers are selling their products, I do not think they care if the have to develop for a Casio calculator.
  • Reply 53 of 129
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I'm under the impression that it has a weaker processor and graphics than the full-sized and full-featured ones...

Dual-core processor, I don't know which particular game you have in mind, but I doubt that would be a problem...

Quote:

So games are likely to be less usable, with many impossible, at least going forward. No gyro for sure, no GPS, maybe no position sensors at all? I'm not certain.

Ahh, no gyro is a problem. Very useful for some nice games.

Quote:

Does it support Flash? IIRC, ICS does. If not, major gaming deficit compared to ICS tablets.

I hear the Firte has a good web browser, which seems like 90% of what is needed in a cheap tablet.

It has little internal storage and shorter battery life, doesn't it? So bringing several movies along for a lazy weekend at the camp might not be a use you could put it to.

I don't have info on the ports - does it have any HDMI output capability? Can you bring it to your friend's house and easily plug it into his Home Entertainment System? Certainly it does not have the wireless capabilities of the iPad, which are a major advantage. I'm not sure if ICS has the sophisticated mirroring and streaming stuff that Apple is doing either - if the Fire can come anywhere close, I'd be very amazed.

No cameras, so no pics taken - but it would work friggin great to display them when out of the house.

Likely there's more.

None of the rest I care about. Flash is rapidly losing relevance, I wouldn't be bringing the tablet with me to plug in friends' TVs even if it had the output, and battery life seems sufficient. Thanks for replying, I was interested if I'd be missing out on anything essential for me personally (or, rather, family members). It seems that I wouldn't, other than the gyro-controlled games...
  • Reply 54 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote: