Apple says Amazon Kindle Fire will further fragment Android

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    A little history lesson to some who think an inferior product won't steamroll the iPad:

Once upon a time, way back in the 80's, Microsoft shipped an inferior product they liked to call "Windows."

-end of story.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Unless Chevrolet pulled a Samsung.

I take it you haven't seen the new Jaguars.

(They pulled a Samsung on Aston Martin)
  • Reply 63 of 129
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    According to Google it is not an Android tablet, as it doesn't use Google apps. People might have noticed Google hasn't sung it any praise.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Powered by Android much in the same way you can build your own UI on Apple's Darwin OS foundation but it won't be Mac OS and it won't run Mac OS apps.

It's a not like Samsung TouchWiz or HTC Sense that are just graphical layers on standard builds of Android. It's a fork. Android Market apps won't work on this device.

Actually almost every app that doesnt utilize Google Mobile Services would work. So unless its running their services (or Google in app purchasing) then it would run fine. The Kindle runs Android 2.3.4 so almost everything should run on it unless it uses special API calls (doesnt support more than 2 inputs), doesnt upscale to the resolution (it should automatically), or uses Gyros, GPS, cameras, bluetooth. Things like DLNA are left up in the air but id be surprised if it didnt have it considering the chip powering it.

For a developer there are minimal changes to be made unless you have an app that solely relies on the features the Fire doesnt have or cant support.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boodies View Post

And the more I use the ipad, I am beginning to realize what this "walled garden" everyone is talking about. I can't even rearrange my icons my way... REALLY? WTF. That's just one of many issues in android, I can solve easily.

So your example of a walled garden is being unable to arrange icons your way? What way, exactly, do you want to arrange icons? Around your girlfriend's face in the background or something? That's not exactly a good example of 'walled garden' limitation. I'm going to assume you have figured out that you can continually touch an icon to enter a mode where you can move them around and arrange them...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boodies View Post

At this point, it's Windows for PC Android for Phones and Ipads for a tablet.

It would probably be worth settling on a platform so you can enjoy the platforms cross-device features. It can add some enjoyment to Android, but I suppose not terribly much. The coolest things about iPhone and iPad come about when you use Apple products across the board, though they work reasonably well with a Windows PC. At the very least I'd want to enjoy using the same purchases on my tablet and phone...
  • Reply 66 of 129
    There is a lot of talk here about if this is a Droid or not. Lets assume sites like Apple insider drag in people who pay a bit more attention to what the devices run and do than say the average person. If so many of us are confused about it how do you think average people will feel. It could easily work against it.

"I'm going to by a Droid powered tablet that does not run droid apps. So i will be limited to the much smaller Amazon market for apps...... Yay?"

It's sort of like selling something under the name Playstation that can't play Playstation games. They better make sure it's clear or they will see come back lash from this.

As far as it's effect on iPad sales go. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. As someone with very little money to spare I could have gotten a cheaper device than my iPad, but when I spend my monkey I want to be sure it's spent well. To me any many others that means Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 129
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

"I'm going to by a Droid powered tablet that does not run droid apps. So i will be limited to the much smaller Amazon market for apps...... Yay?"

Sorry to be picky, but the OS is called Android. Droid is a phone model from Motorola.

The Amazon Store and the Android Market have a lot of overlapping apps. I would think it stupid/lazy if developers wouldn't put the app on both markets and increase their exposure. That would apply even in the event of suspected fragmentation (i.e. incompatibility, which so far has not been shown).
  • Reply 68 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

There is a lot of talk here about if this is a Droid or not. Lets assume sites like Apple insider drag in people who pay a bit more attention to what the devices run and do than say the average person. If so many of us are confused about it how do you think average people will feel. It could easily work against it.

It's sort of like selling something under the name Playstation that can't play Playstation games. They better make sure it's clear or they will see come back lash from this.

As far as it's effect on iPad sales go. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. As someone with very little money to spare I could have gotten a cheaper device than my iPad, but when I spend my monkey I want to be sure it's spent well. To me any many others that means Apple.

Its funny you mention it being a Droid tablet, the only people NOT calling it a Droid tablet is Amazon, they are not selling it as such, they are not trying to capitalize on the Droid market place, they are selling it as an Amazon tablet. The people calling it a Droid tablet are the "people who pay a bit more attention to what the devices run", apparently they are not paying attention to how the device is advertised or how it is being marketed. Us lowly wanna-Be's seem to get it.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I take it you haven't seen the new Jaguars.

(They pulled a Samsung on Aston Martin)

I don't know, I half assumed that was a cooperative thing.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I love the instant "no threat" attitude some here take. This is a threat to Apple, sure head to head, the iPad is a better device, problem is this thing only costs $199, compared to $499. That alone will draw many, many people to this device. Top that with the Amazon ecosystem and it is a winner. I will never own one, I love my iPad but for Christmas I was considering buying a "family" iPad for my two girls, now I can buy them each a Fire. They are not power users and do not need the full functionality of an iPad. They are like many consumers that are in the market but just do not want to spend $499.

There are plenty of $99.00 smart phones out there running android, but people are lining up in the millions around the world for an iPhone 4S. Say what you want about price, quality will always trump that.
  • Reply 71 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

...quality will always trump that.

What do you mean by "trump"?
  • Reply 72 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Its funny you mention it being a Droid tablet, the only people NOT calling it a Droid tablet is Amazon, they are not selling it as such, they are not trying to capitalize on the Droid market place, they are selling it as an Amazon tablet. The people calling it a Droid tablet are the "people who pay a bit more attention to what the devices run", apparently they are not paying attention to how the device is advertised or how it is being marketed. Us lowly wanna-Be's seem to get it.

And technically Droid is only licensed through Lucas Arts for devices on Verizon's network.
  • Reply 73 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

A little history lesson to some who think an inferior product won't steamroll the iPad:

Once upon a time, way back in the 80's, Microsoft shipped an inferior product they liked to call "Windows."

-end of story.

We are now in the 21st century, so why is Microsoft not dominating mobile, heck, they have a monopoly on the desktop, but guess which company makes more money?

In case you did not already know, Apple makes far more money than Microsoft.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

You're serious? If you don't know what I mean by my response then you're simply trolling or looking to pick a fight for no reason.
  • Reply 75 of 129
    Quote:

Trump |trəmp|

verb

• beat (someone or something) by saying or doing something better: taste trumps most if not all other factors when consumers choose food products.

— outshine, outclass, upstage, put in the shade, eclipse, surpass, outdo, outperform; beat, better, top, cap; informal be a cut above, be head and shoulders above, leave standing.
  • Reply 76 of 129
    Quote:

Really?

Trump |trəmp|

verb

? beat (someone or something) by saying or doing something better: taste trumps most if not all other factors when consumers choose food products.

? outshine, outclass, upstage, put in the shade, eclipse, surpass, outdo, outperform; beat, better, top, cap; informal be a cut above, be head and shoulders above, leave standing.

Thank you, I assumed my response was obvious, maybe he does not speak English as a native language.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    Quote:

You're serious? If you don't know what I mean by my response then you're simply trolling or looking to pick a fight for no reason.

Quote:

Really?

Trump |trəmp|

verb

? beat (someone or something) by saying or doing something better: taste trumps most if not all other factors when consumers choose food products.

?*outshine, outclass, upstage, put in the shade, eclipse, surpass, outdo, outperform; beat, better, top, cap; informal be a cut above, be head and shoulders above, leave standing.

Thanks to both of you. I know what trump means. I somehow got the impression that it was used in the sense that quality is the decisive factor for people when deciding what to buy. Meaning that nobody ever buys anything else but the best quality product.

I would assume that quality, together with price, determine buyers behavior. I may be wrong.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    Quote:

Thank you, I assumed my response was obvious, maybe he does not speak English as a native language.

Sure... let me break it to you that 50% of native English speakers have below average intellectual abilities. Leaps in logic are far more common than language errors...
  • Reply 79 of 129
    Quote:

Thanks to both of you. I know what trump means. I somehow got the impression that it was used in the sense that quality is the decisive factor for people when deciding what to buy. Meaning that nobody ever buys anything else but the best quality product.

I would assume that quality, together with price, determine buyers behavior. I may be wrong.

Ah, I see your point. It does yet we'll still see Android-based and other low cost phones far outsell the iPhone in unit shares, and the iPhone at $199 for 16GB isn't really that expensive and I think plenty of buyers do realize the most expensive component of their purchase in their contractual obligation.

Android is quickly becoming the feature phone OS of the future. It's also a powerful smartphone OS with plenty of potential, but I don't think that is where it will be most prevalent in the long run.

Also, not always does a good, quality product at a reasonable price work out. Just look at WP7 in today's market. Now MS has deep pockets that it can work on WP for many years without seeing a profit so it could prevail yet as of right now I think they are still losing marketshare. Can't wait to get the Nokia N9.
  • Reply 80 of 129
    Quote:

We are now in the 21st century, so why is Microsoft not dominating mobile, heck, they have a monopoly on the desktop, but guess which company makes more money?

In case you did not already know, Apple makes far more money than Microsoft.

Because MS doesn't have a competing product yet. Microsoft's business plan will ultimately concur the tablet market because they'll have Dell, HP, Sony, Samsung, Motorola, and every hardware manufacturer marketing and selling hardware with Mango pre-installed on it.

I'm not saying MS will necessarily have a better product, but fierce marketing by the giants will ultimately set a standard.

Same with what's happening with the Android platform, over time Android will outnumber iOS not because it's better, but because when you go to a store you'll be bombarded with Android phones that the iPhone will be a second thought.

It's exactly what happened with the Mac since its launch in the mid 80's

As for Apple making more money than Microsoft, um, no. Apple is the largest tech company according to market cap; however, Microsoft makes a butt load more money than Apple - NPR Article -